Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Stikine - I am not at war with you or your people, and you know as well as I do that some of our "people" are the same folks. I dont actually have that much of a bone to pick here.
    Last edited by mauser; April-10-09 at 04:07 PM. Reason: asked to remove

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    Some of us still believe in an old-style journalism where egos are put in check . . .
    Hilarious one, Dexter. That's rich, truly.

Back here on Earth, some of us still recall an old-style journalism where we worked alongside Joe Falls, Pete Waldmeir, Charlie Manos, June Brown, Susan Stark, Marji Kunz, Cathy Horyn, Dave Ashenfelter, Gary Schuster, Roger Martin, Angelo Henderson, Norm Sinclair, Melvin Claxton, Fred Girard, John Broder, Chauncey Bailey and countless others with varying degrees of talent whose egos most definitely were not put in check.

And here's the kicker, Ferryman: The paper and its readers generally were better off for it.

So believe and say whatever you want about LeDuff, but don't go sugarcoating big league journalism that was balls-out and ego-propelled.
    Last edited by Reality_Check; April-10-09 at 03:20 PM. Reason: One-character typo fix

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    I think everyone repeating the theme "more than one journalist can write about a person" just doesn't get it.

No one is saying coonman was off limits to Leduff because MT already had a story on him. But when another media outlet in your town writes an in-depth profile on a "local character" and then a bigger outlet sends out their "local color" guy to do an in-depth story on the same character, it seems the DECENT THING TO DO would be acknowledge the first one or make the second one different enough to justify its ink. In this case, the story [[and the videos) are shockingly similar and the first story wasn't acknowledged.
    Please show me an example of another news organization writing about the same feature subject giving the first media outlet credit for writing about it first. It doesn't happen. Ever.

Big, breaking news -- yeah, it happens sometimes. Like the Kwame stuff, in the Detroit News, they would often say, "in text messages printed by the Detroit Free Press," but feature stories, it doesn't happen.

Blarf Guest

Charlie LeDuff still has a job?

I find it hard to believe that people actually ENJOY his writing and take it seriously.

Charlie needs to pop up and splain some stuff - maybe there is a side to this that we dont know. You out there somewhere CLD ?

I still think hes too busy to read our tripe here.

ahh, i see.

The Metro-Times went pretty hard at LeDuff about him writing a blatantly sensationalized, misleading, and inaccurate article about some people playing hockey and finding a frozen guy in the ice. As someone who thinks LeDuff is a hack, that article was beautiful and I wish I could find a copy of it. Can't remember what issue or the name of the article though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    The Metro-Times went pretty hard at LeDuff about him writing a blatantly sensationalized, misleading, and inaccurate article about some people playing hockey and finding a frozen guy in the ice. As someone who thinks LeDuff is a hack, that article was beautiful and I wish I could find a copy of it. Can't remember what issue or the name of the article though.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs...1280491/&imw=Y

and

http://www2.metrotimes.com/news/story.asp?id=13739

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Charlie LeDuff kicked off a new weekly series today in the Detroit News [["Travels with Charlie") with a feature on Glemie Dean Beasley, the "Coon Man."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...+scampering+by

Hm. I wonder where he got the idea ...

http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=13618
    I know for a fact that Charlie and John arrived at the coon man at the exact same time. John scooped Charlie but that is NOT the same as "stealing". Dont believe me ? Ask John. He knows I why I know.

People should make sure they know what they are talking about before spewing libelous statements in order to defame somebody.

PS - I am the one who edited the video in that MT piece.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    PS - I am the one who edited the video in that MT piece.
    So Charlie is/was your colleague then?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So Charlie is/was your colleague then?
    Charlie didnt do the MT piece, that is Detroitblogger John. I was is/was a colleague of John - yes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3