Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Looks like there's a bit more info on the story... like perhaps the squatter feels JUSTIFIED to live there, per a report this AM. She claims property was ABANDONED in her video interview with reporter! Owner claims otherwise and feels: "She thinks that this is a program in Detroit to take people's homes and fix them up and then she gets to keep them," Peterson said....

Was this part of the original article or truly updated? It's a mess of an article and vid. which in part suggests that the Tracey Blair was a tenant, or broke in? This is gonna be a long court fight! And no I am not writing her in for president on the ballot!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...use-woman-says

Squatter in the house? Buy a sharp saw, a locking freezer for the basement, and some plastic sheeting.

What's the plastic sheeting for dare I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Zackdog View Post
    Squatter in the house? Buy a sharp saw, a locking freezer for the basement, and some plastic sheeting.

"Was this part of the original article or truly updated? It's a mess of an article and vid. which in part suggests that the Tracey Blair was a tenant, or broke in?"

I rememeber when National Inquirer type reporting was the exception and not the norm.

"And no I am not writing her in for president on the ballot!"

I'm withholding my opinion until I hear her debate Obama.

"What's the plastic sheeting for dare I ask?"

Now you don't want to make a mess in your new freezer, do you? I prefer the 3 mil thick contractor bags.

Hah! I heard that... shucks she may give Obama a run for his money in a debate and it could NOT be said she was a brand-A-repub doing it! ------

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Zacha341 wrote: "And no I am not writing her in for president on the ballot!"

HT wrote: I'm withholding my opinion until I hear her debate Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Looks like there's a bit more info on the story... like perhaps the squatter feels JUSTIFIED to live there, per a report this AM. She claims property was ABANDONED in her video interview with reporter! Owner claims otherwise and feels: "She thinks that this is a program in Detroit to take people's homes and fix them up and then she gets to keep them," Peterson said....

Was this part of the original article or truly updated? It's a mess of an article and vid. which in part suggests that the Tracey Blair was a tenant, or broke in? This is gonna be a long court fight! And no I am not writing her in for president on the ballot!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...use-woman-says
    The article says updated, which is what threw me at first too because I read the link when it was posted and I didn't see that. Then when I went back, I read the part about her being a former tenant.

From reading some of the comments posted, it appears that they did know each other previously, and this "squatter" rented the house from her, along with others. Is this a multi-family flat? I couldn't tell, but it seems there were multiple tenants who were all evicted because of the house failing inspection. Then this squatter returned after the house sat empty for whatever amount of time, and she began to fix it up and claim it for herself.

Still bizarre. But at least not as bizarre as we assumed. I still wouldn't be sleeping in there with my baby, and this squatter still has no rights to that house, no matter how lax the owner might have been in taking care of her business.

Yeah sounds more and more like a soft 'agreement' rental where not real papers are drawn up. This occurs all over the city: people renting from people, in their homes, a room or two and paying as they can, when they can.

I wonder why Patterson purchased such a huge house initially in the first place unless she was planning to live their with someone? I'd not want to be alone in such a huge house in Detroit, where as I've stated before you don't want to do in ISOLATION. Just the utilities alone would wipe you out. And the squatter claims the grass was over grown and what not, so thus abandoned.

A 23K house considered a 'deal' purchase comes out very expensive on many levels. Especially when you have no further resources. And alone!! I would not have done it. Not worth the hassle to 'pioneer' that one alone.

The heating system was the first thing to go out. Yep a common situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    From reading some of the comments posted, it appears that they did know each other previously, and this "squatter" rented the house from her, along with others. Is this a multi-family flat? I couldn't tell, but it seems there were multiple tenants who were all evicted because of the house failing inspection. Then this squatter returned after the house sat empty for whatever amount of time, and she began to fix it up and claim it for herself.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-14-12 at 11:42 AM.

Here is what Mrs Peterson should do; have her relatives, the most rowdy type, to live with her. Play loud music, not loud enough to disturb the neighbors, and constantly do things to get on the squatter's nerve. When the owner is away from the house that relative is still there to get on the squatters last nerve. Change the lock again to the doors so that the squatter would have to ask permission to enter. Turn off the light by removing the fuses when leaving so that the squatter cant enjoy the comforts of having electricity. These relatives, who is nice to the owner but hell on the squatter, should be there at all times until the squatter leave. Close the heat duct that leads to the squatter's room to chill her. Make living there less comfortable for the squatter. Oh yeah, dont forget to have two cars in the garage and whenever the squatter try to leave out in the morning she will discover a old junk car parked behind hers in the driveway and she can't pull out without asking the homeown who is not there at the momentl. hint

The article says updated, which is what threw me at first too because I read the link when it was posted and I didn't see that. Then when I went back, I read the part about her being a former tenant.

Still bizarre. But at least not as bizarre as we assumed. I still wouldn't be sleeping in there with my baby, and this squatter still has no rights to that house, no matter how lax the owner might have been in taking care of her business.
    What inspection are you referring to that caused tenants to be evicted? I've had dozens of rental houses in Detroit and can't ever remember getting an inspection for anything I didn't pull a permit for. When I bought house it was never inspected to see if it was up to snuff to be a rental. You don't need city certs to rent out a house, just move the people in. [[as far as I know)

^^^ An official seeming reason of some kind is referenced in the article. Section 8 would require functioning heating systems for example and would get around to enforcing it eventually. Or maybe it was a 'DTE' reason, that is more common! Maybe a tenant dropped a dime. I dunno.... the whole thing is a mess. I'd never want to be landlord in Detroit unless I really could verify my tenants. And you cannot be weak as a landlord. You'll never collect more than one months rent. No thank you.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-14-12 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What inspection are you referring to that caused tenants to be evicted? I've had dozens of rental houses in Detroit and can't ever remember getting an inspection for anything I didn't pull a permit for. When I bought house it was never inspected to see if it was up to snuff to be a rental. You don't need city certs to rent out a house, just move the people in. [[as far as I know)
    Wow, you don't need any kind of rental inspection in Detroit? That's amazing to me! I know you do in Macomb County, you have to pass an inspection and there's some kind of other certification for rentals. One house I rented, the landlord didn't want me to send back his mail because he didn't want the city to know he was renting, because he was going to have to pay some sort of fee and pass an inspection. He did it later, he just didn't want to pay for it upfront.

I know you used to have do this in Pontiac years ago, you couldn't just move people in. That actually sounds dangerous. It's one thing if you want to move into an uncertified home but when you allow others to live there, then you've got a lot of potential liability.

Per your question, I don't know the exact inspections, I was referring to the article and comments made in the section. The article said that Henderson had rented the house to several people and then they were forced to move because of problems with the house's safety. I'm wondering if she bought it, didn't fix it, and just started renting it out. A lot of foreclosures have numerous problems from the previous owners destroying it or stripping it out of anger.

^^^ You make some compelling points. Clearly the owner was in wayyy over her head. Probably had visions of multiple 'off the books' cash paying renters and sub-renters to pay the bills and live-free-for-repair folk...

Even with a house that big they probably all got on each others nerves seeings as how that building does not appear to be a two-family unit, so sharing goes hay-wire, then the furnace goes out, folks don't want to pay, everyone moves, including her...

Heck... She's lucky the house was not stripped to the marrow behind all of the mess. Not that I justify the woman who is squatting... I am not.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-14-12 at 05:51 PM.

Wow, you don't need any kind of rental inspection in Detroit? That's amazing to me!
    Rental inspections are required in Detroit. Rental properties must be registered with the city as such.

Roommates are different, though. If your homestead is one address [[not a two family) and you rent a room, you don't need an inspection [[aside from your Certificate of Occupancy) or, obviously, rental registration, if you have a roommate.

It's starting to look like we're not getting the whole story here. I'm putting my pants on and going home.......

It's starting to look like we're not getting the whole story here. I'm putting my pants on and going home.......
    ROFL!!!! Too funny!

LMAO!!!!!Golden!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Rental inspections are required in Detroit. Rental properties must be registered with the city as such.

Roommates are different, though. If your homestead is one address [[not a two family) and you rent a room, you don't need an inspection [[aside from your Certificate of Occupancy) or, obviously, rental registration, if you have a roommate.
    I'm sure that inspection and registration for rental properties is on the books somewhere. I know a lot of property owners, It's a rule that no one I know follows. When you go to court to evict a tenant the judge never brings anything like that up.

What Landlords & Tenants Should Know

The Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department [[BSE&ED) will aggressively enforce blight violations. Violators should remember that it's not enough to just pay the penalties. Violators must correct problems . If not, a second or third violation may be issued with a higher fine. Review pertinent information below.All rental property owners must register their rental property and obtain a Certificate of Compliance. The certificate is proof that an inspection was performed at the property and found to be in a safe and habitable condition.All renters are entitled to live in housing that is well maintained and safe. Renters are encouraged to report rental properties that require inspection and repair. Tenants can arrange for an inspection [[at no cost to them) by calling 628-2451.Smoke detectors must be installed near all bedrooms. Maintaining smoke detectors with batteries is the responsibility of both the tenant and owner.
    http://71.159.23.2/BSEOnline/divisio...n?pageId=10007

Quote Originally Posted by Canthisbe View Post
    What Landlords & Tenants Should Know

The Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department [[BSE&ED) will aggressively enforce blight violations. Violators should remember that it's not enough to just pay the penalties. Violators must correct problems . If not, a second or third violation may be issued with a higher fine. Review pertinent information below.All rental property owners must register their rental property and obtain a Certificate of Compliance. The certificate is proof that an inspection was performed at the property and found to be in a safe and habitable condition.All renters are entitled to live in housing that is well maintained and safe. Renters are encouraged to report rental properties that require inspection and repair. Tenants can arrange for an inspection [[at no cost to them) by calling 628-2451.Smoke detectors must be installed near all bedrooms. Maintaining smoke detectors with batteries is the responsibility of both the tenant and owner.
    http://71.159.23.2/BSEOnline/divisio...n?pageId=10007
    Thank you for that information, I was completely unaware about the need for any certificate of compliance in the city.

Party's over.Closing time. Missionary woman's moving out.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Party's over.Closing time. Missionary woman's moving out.
    COO COO #1 has flown the nest. Not sure it's the last we will hear.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...hes-moving-out

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    COO COO #1 has flown the nest. Not sure it's the last we will hear.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...hes-moving-out

I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    It would be the end of you too - unless you like prison. In all likelihood, that's where you would end up if you shot someone and it wasn't self defense.
    Really? I don't think it matters if it's self defense or not if someone is intruding INSIDE your home.

I don't understand why this woman does just throw the squatters belongings out to the curb and change the locks. It would be a cold day in hell before someone would be allowed in my house under 'squatters rights'. If that person is paying rent, that's one thing but after months of not paying any rent... too bad.

This story made Inside Edition [[ch4) and will be on at 4pm.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast