Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
A single person can leave a city, but 300,000 people cannot displace themselves simultaneously with relative ease from most cities. If 300,000 people leave Detroit to move elsewhere in Metro Detroit then that means there is existing unused infrastructure for 300,000 people that already exists in Metro Detroit outside of the city of Detroit... Which raises the question of why so much excess infrastructure exists for a population that isn't growing to absorb it?
I see what you're getting at. Of course I agree with you - why did we build - and keep building - further and further out to nowhere, when the population hasn't grown in 30 years? Beats the hell out of me, other than I've realized about 3/4 of the population and 4/4 of the leadership here is stuck on stupid. Oatmeal north of the eyebrows. No brains. Fumes from Zug Island? Too much Ted Nugent? I dunno.

However keep in mind that Michigan was the only state to lose population in the past decade. And while Brooksie may be slurring about how Oakland County made a modest gain in population, it was essentially from people crossing 8 Mile in a northerly direction. I know entire families of kids of wealthy Oakland County residents who jumped ship entirely and left the state with their outstanding educations, leaving their aging parents to shuffle around their big houses alone.

The drain isn't just going to affect Detroit. We're seeing Detroiters move to the suburbs, suburban young people leave the state, and suburban baby boomers gradually age and die. Not a healthy outlook for the region.