Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    My most dear Gannon, I agree with you completely. [[I did see 'Some Like It Hot' -- so I understand.)

I quite do believe in redemption. And in forgiveness. That doesn't mean I trust every claim of rehabilitation made by self-serving fools seeking power.

I'd rather a few criminals go free. But we have enough good, qualified citizens in the world to hold elective office without taking risks on charlatans.

Today, it seems that the PR cookbook says that no matter what happens, all you have to do is 'accept responsibility' for your errors, and poof -- the public will forgive. I will forgive. But its not enough to 'accept responsibility' and repent for your crimes. If you're a criminal and you want to impress me on your redemption, go work for the Capuchin Soup Kitchen for a couple of years. Do something impressive to show that your 'redemption' is true. I'm really tired of these hallow claims of rehabilitation. End of rant.
    I agree with almost all of what you say, except for the retribution part...I've worked besides some people at soup kitchens who only did it to get second portions...or all the desserts!

Cheers

According to the Free Press this morning, Banks still has a problem with checks:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...&view=ZW50aXR5

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    State House Candidate Brian Banks Evicted from Harper Woods Homes

http://grossepointe.patch.com/articl...er-woods-homes
    This is a strange situation. At first blush, Mr. Banks candidacy might appear to be an attempt by a chronic scammer/flim flammer to gain public office where they can get paid to talk fast but not actually do any hard work. These kind of folks are rarely found to have any legitimate resume-worthy accomplishments. [[Such accomplishments require too much actual effort and work.)

But Mr. Banks seems to at least have legitimate academic credentials. You can't just talk your way into a B.A and a M.A from Wayne State. Likewise, it's very easy to get into law school, but it is rather difficult to graduate. Ask any lawyer whether it's possible to just "mail in" the effort and get a passing grade in most classes.

These accomplishments do seem to be evidence of a reformed person who has left the scamming behind. So it's puzzling to understand how somebody who must have really made an effort to reform can lapse into the old behavior.

There's no excuse for stiffing landlords. He must have known that he didn't have the rent money before he leased the properties. He's not qualified to be a legislator. I hope they don't seat him.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    This is a strange situation. At first blush, Mr. Banks candidacy might appear to be an attempt by a chronic scammer/flim flammer to gain public office where they can get paid to talk fast but not actually do any hard work. These kind of folks are rarely found to have any legitimate resume-worthy accomplishments. [[Such accomplishments require too much actual effort and work.)

But Mr. Banks seems to at least have legitimate academic credentials. You can't just talk your way into a B.A and a M.A from Wayne State. Likewise, it's very easy to get into law school, but it is rather difficult to graduate. Ask any lawyer whether it's possible to just "mail in" the effort and get a passing grade in most classes.

These accomplishments do seem to be evidence of a reformed person who has left the scamming behind. So it's puzzling to understand how somebody who must have really made an effort to reform can lapse into the old behavior.

There's no excuse for stiffing landlords. He must have known that he didn't have the rent money before he leased the properties. He's not qualified to be a legislator. I hope they don't seat him.
    Actually you have that part reversed. Its harder to get into a law school than to fail out. a high application rejection rate translates to a higher ranking. Attrition rates however, are an anathema to law school rankings. They will do just about anything, most common is having a "B+" curve , to keep students in school. you need to be found cheating or simply never show up to get booted. [[everywhere but Cooley...their economic model depends on washouts... that's a different discussion though).

DCL is not a tremendously difficult school to get into as far as law schools go.[[a common pejorative is it's a "TTT" - third tier toilet). And not to be un-p.c., but especially if you're an "under represented" minority from an "urban" school so DCL can satisfy its "critical mass" of diversity.

The measure of a school's rank should be on Bar passage. Cooley or Harvard, you still need to pass the bar. Something Mr. Banks did not do.
    Last edited by bailey; November-02-12 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    No sarcasm, you just missed the disclaimer. I was pining for leniency for those who may have earned and/or deserved it.

I do not say this particular person is worthy of it. Heck, half the population sucks at handling money...many, many years ago I started a thread to see if it could be licensed! I'm sure Jimaz can find that in the archives...heh.

The priors MAY be excusible, but only if he'd learned. But it is apparent he has not. That doesn't eliminate the possibility for others to gain leniency, though, THAT was what I was arguing.

Cheers!
    Firm rule: No sex offenders as kindergarten teachers
    Almost 100% firm rule: No one 'convicted' of financial fraud elected and thus able to influence public financial policy.

This wasn't one overdraft, or two or three. This was a conviction for fraud. Rehabilitation possible. But not in a field where financial trust is required. Go become investment banker instead.

How did he get elected with felonies on his record? Most people don't qualify for a menial job with one felony, and this guy gets elected? This world is a mess.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-02-12 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    there's a difference between felons and republicans?
    rb336, you beat me to it, exactly what I was thinking.

I have no doubt Detroiters would re-elect Kwame, so electing this clown shouldn't be too hard.

You can give a man forgiveness without giving him your vote.

He needs to go get a real job and contribute to society, not steal from it.

This would be strong case to decide. Due to the amount of rich white middle class in Richville, they rather go vote a republican person rather a criminal.

Default A Felon In Office?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2059252.html

To me this is very disappointing.

Also, he's a practicing homosexual...

No one has mentioned that he is also a practicing homosexual..

I mean... what difference does it make?
    Over a million felons in Michigan. 1 in 10
    3.5 of the 10 million Michiganders are minors
    So its more like 1 in every 6.5 residents is a felon.
    Thats 3.25 million men and 3.25 million women or thereabouts.
    Males get in trouble more often than women.
    I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if 25% of
    adult males in Michigan have a felony.
    Felons need representation too. Perhaps, more than
    anyone else

So what???????????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by detroitmale View Post
    Also, he's a practicing homosexual...
    C'mon, man, You really don't think there's anything wrong with electing a guy to office who passes bad checks, gets evicted, and now sued, 1 week before the election? Maybe I should lower my standards a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Over a million felons in Michigan. 1 in 10.
    Rex,

Can you provide data that supports your claim?

I found that million number some time back. I don't remember the site but recall it being reputable. Here is something tho. It has michigan content that puts the conservative estimate at a million.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_u...nvicted_felons

Actually. It may be that there have been a million felons in Michigan since they started keeping track. in the 20s.
    Last edited by rex; November-07-12 at 11:42 AM.

10% seems astronomically high.

Did the Detroit reverendship know this?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitmale View Post
    No one has mentioned that he is also a practicing homosexual..
    Jeez, you think he'd got it right by now. How much practice does it take to be a full-fledged homosexual?

People in the 1st district got what they wanted "A BLACK NERO!"

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Jeez, you think he'd got it right by now. How much practice does it take to be a full-fledged homosexual?
    well, judging by the 8 convictions for the same offense... I gather he's a really slow learner.

He probably got his degrees while spending time in the big house at the taxpayers expense.

"well, judging by the 8 convictions for the same offense... I gather he's a really slow learner."

Though the 8 priors are troubling, it's the 2 fraudulant checks written, and the evection 2 weeks before the election that has me baffled. Seriously, after his repent rant, now this, how can you trust this guy?

http://grossepointe.patch.com/articl...er-woods-homes

Do most Detroiters think when they vote, or do they just see that D after the name and vote for that person? I'm independent but I identify more with Republicans, but this past elections I voted for 4 Democrats. I didn't vote for anything with the colleges since I didn't know who any of those people were. Pay attention to who your voting for people! If the guy had one or two felonies, and they were decades ago, I could understand, but these were recent and he's still having issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast