Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Do most Detroiters think when they vote, or do they just see that D after the name and vote for that person? I'm independent but I identify more with Republicans, but this past elections I voted for 4 Democrats. I didn't vote for anything with the colleges since I didn't know who any of those people were. Pay attention to who your voting for people! If the guy had one or two felonies, and they were decades ago, I could understand, but these were recent and he's still having issues.
    I have no idea what most Detroiters do. We don't have secret meetings and plan voting strategy. [[if most Detroiters do, I never get invited) I think a LOT of this is just plain laziness. @ the peak of the election debate, I got responses like "they're all the same", "what does it matter", they're all a bunch of crooks", etc. I think people hear general terms like "We need to vote Democratic", or else are easily swayed by media, so instead of taking the time to actually look into things, they vote that way. I AM glad you spoke up about Banks. I was shocked he got elected, especially after his latest follies. The response on DY was "meh, a lot of people are fellons".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I have no idea what most Detroiters do. We don't have secret meetings and plan voting strategy. [[if most Detroiters do, I never get invited) I think a LOT of this is just plain laziness. @ the peak of the election debate, I got responses like "they're all the same", "what does it matter", they're all a bunch of crooks", etc. I think people hear general terms like "We need to vote Democratic", or else are easily swayed by media, so instead of taking the time to actually look into things, they vote that way. I AM glad you spoke up about Banks. I was shocked he got elected, especially after his latest follies. The response on DY was "meh, a lot of people are fellons".
    I'm sorry, but there needs to be a law created that states that if you have been CONVICTED of a felony, you can not hold office of any kind that is taxpayer funded.

Maybe someone from the east side can explain this to me but Dan Shulte do what it took for a Republican to win in a heavily Democratic district? I mean, hell, there are three pages of posts on this topic and Shulte's name hasn't appeared once. Did he show up? Did shake hands and kiss babies?

Quote Originally Posted by internet_pseudopod View Post
    Maybe someone from the east side can explain this to me but Dan Shulte do what it took for a Republican to win in a heavily Democratic district? I mean, hell, there are three pages of posts on this topic and Shulte's name hasn't appeared once. Did he show up? Did shake hands and kiss babies?
    He showed up at our neighborhood association meeting [[East English Village). Half of our neighborhood is in the 1st. He had a ton of signs around here, even though it's probably 99% Democratic here. He didn't give any concrete plans but it was good of him to show up.

However he was the guy who started the movement to get GPS to join Macomb County and leave Wayne. Doesn't exactly scream dedication to a Wayne county district.

He didn't ooze charisma either, but I don't think that is peoples' concern. I think the larger problem is straight ticket voting. Also, most of the time when a Republican appears on a ballot here it isn't really a "legitimate" candidate. Unemployed people, people without degrees, people just running on the freak chance they'll win and get a job. So even outside of partisan leanings, the Republicans don't usually put up real candidates in these parts so people further disregard it.

Banks seems like a Kwame Jr. except less savvy about not obeying the laws of the land.

Republicans should just run as Independents, I don't know why they don't. They'd get better mileage out of the race.

Im a felon. Drug related. May indicate personal issues but Im by no means an unsavory person. I also volunteer. Help my old people, work full time, go to school full time, 2nd year grad student, stay out of trouble. I do for self. Would be happy to shed the stigmatization but I also refuse to lose and im not especially concerned that I will fail. Its a cause and effect. Way more expensive to discriminate indiscriminately against felons. End up paying to incarcerate them and support their kids. Truth of the matter tho. There arent enough jobs to support the free. If everyone locked up was suddenly released what would they do? Break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Republicans should just run as Independents, I don't know why they don't. They'd get better mileage out of the race.
    Running/being elected as a Republican pays too well for them for them to just flat out give up the R.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

However he was the guy who started the movement to get GPS to join Macomb County and leave Wayne. Doesn't exactly scream dedication to a Wayne county district.

I can see where that would be a problem for voters.

Quote Originally Posted by internet_pseudopod View Post
    I can see where that would be a problem for voters.
    That depends on which side of Mack Avenue the voter lives on!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-11-12 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Im a felon. Drug related. May indicate personal issues but Im by no means an unsavory person. I also volunteer. Help my old people, work full time, go to school full time, 2nd year grad student, stay out of trouble. I do for self. Would be happy to shed the stigmatization but I also refuse to lose and im not especially concerned that I will fail. Its a cause and effect. Way more expensive to discriminate indiscriminately against felons. End up paying to incarcerate them and support their kids. Truth of the matter tho. There arent enough jobs to support the free. If everyone locked up was suddenly released what would they do? Break the law.
    Rex -- glad to hear you've got things going great. Keep it up.

I don't think this minor discrimination against felons is expensive. I think its wise.

There are a lot of professional remaining in the world with this exclusion for the general public good in place.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    That depends on which side of Mack Avenue the voter lives on!
    Nope, Mack is way too far north for that city/suburb junk. He only wanted to yank GP Shores, since a tiny slice of it lands in Macomb County.

So he'd in effect be screwing the Woods, Park, City, and Farms because they'd still be in Wayne County with less tax base.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Nope, Mack is way too far north for that city/suburb junk. He only wanted to yank GP Shores, since a tiny slice of it lands in Macomb County.

So he'd in effect be screwing the Woods, Park, City, and Farms because they'd still be in Wayne County with less tax base.
    Yes he wanted to move the shores, but the rest of the pointes want to leave Wayne County!! If the shores left the other 4 pointes would go with them.
    Personally I think we would be trading one blood sucking evil for another. Either way they only want us for the revenue we generate. If there was an actual move I would lead the charge to move to Oakland Co. at least we would actually get a little representation. And yes I know its pie in the sky but Wayne and Macomb Counties are both unable to meet our needs.
    So yes it does depend on which side of Mack one lives on!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-11-12 at 08:29 PM.

http://grossepointe.patch.com/articl...ar-repossessed

According to a Nov. 12 article by MyFoxDetroit.com, Banks' Land Rover was repossessed last week after more than four months of being followed by a recovery agent. It first was a 2003 Jaguar.
    I hope he supports mass transit.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Land Rover? Jaguar? Seems to think he's a real PIMP, doesn't he? Shit, I could go lease or buy one of those overpriced shitboxes too, but I'm not an idiot who makes purchases I can't afford in the long run, so I don't. What a grade A loser.

This isn't just a Detroit or Democrat issue. Kerry Bentivolio certainly has a checkered past including financial and character issues, but he easily won election in his conservative district.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012101...r-for-Congress

Sometimes I think people that operate like him have a mental illness. I've never seen it diagnosed but there's got to be something wrong when you see someone just continually not pay their bills. Like, even the most basic things - lights, gas, rent, come on now! I know people like this and they just seem so clueless, like they truly don't get it. They just don't pay for anything. Then seem outraged when the evictions and repos and shut-offs come. Who wants to live like that? Writing bad checks when you could just work and get what you want honestly? There's this mentality that you deserve it whether you can afford it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    This isn't just a Detroit or Democrat issue. Kerry Bentivolio certainly has a checkered past including financial and character issues, but he easily won election in his conservative district.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012101...r-for-Congress
    He won that district by accident due to the colossal blunder of the McCotter people. The Ds ran a guy who was a weak unknown and had no support.

Santa Claus will not be re-elected. Can the same be said for Banks?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    He won that district by accident due to the colossal blunder of the McCotter people. The Ds ran a guy who was a weak unknown and had no support.

Santa Claus will not be re-elected. Can the same be said for Banks?

You can say Banks got in by accident also. He ran in a primary with lots of Dem candidates and no obvious front runner. Had an established political figure with any kind of backing ran against him, he probably would not have won.

I can't see the future, so I don't know what will happen with either guy. Bent is going to be an incumbent, and he has Tea Party backing and apparently some money behind him based on the ads and signage I saw. It's not a foregone conclusion that he won't hold on to that seat. Banks will have the power of incumbency, too, but if an established Detroit Dem challenges him in the primary, he'd be vulnerable. It's way to early to say with any kind of certainty what the political future holds for either guy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3