Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks, p69rrh51! There's been a huge effort among FLW enthusiasts and organizations to stop the demolition of this house. Hope this NYT article will spur even more support!

A.D. German Warehouse Preservation Project

Richland Chamber & Development Alliance facilitates effort to acquire Warehouse

A.D. German Warehouse Preservation Project - Richland Center, WI

Was pleasantly surprised to see my parents home at the above link. [[The sandstone Victorian) I'm actually posting from the house as I type this.

They've lived in the home for over 20 years and have restored all but two rooms so far. The porch, including the wraparound that was removed years ago, should be rebuilt this year with proper Victorian touches.

The author's comparison of RC to Detroit is something I have done as well. While there is not near the abandonment, there are plenty of homes that are pretty shabby. A large swath of them was taken out when the dike was built a decade or so ago. Wages have always been low in the area and the local government seemingly does everything in it's power to make sure outside business has little interest in coming to town, so outside of the ubiquitous Wally World there has been little outside investment.

They are set in their ways, much like Detroit seems to be, and apparently do not see what is going out in the rest of the world.

*Yeah, I know this is an old thread. Couldn't resist commenting when I saw the pic.

Nice house hotwheels.

hotwheels, As you know, Viroqua is the County seat in the next county, Vernon, to the west of Richland County. Its has taken a different course. The second largest purveyor of organic foods in the Country, farmer owned Organic Valley, is located in Vernon County acting as a magnet for organic farmers and ventures. This has brought an organic version of yuppies in from all over to raise their families in and around Viroqua with an oversized organic grocery, a Waldorf school and high school and their own radio station. It is a really unusual fate for Richland Center's sister town. Richland Center, however, is mired in conventional thinking because its town fathers have fear an outsiders takeover it seems. Viroqua even has its own Harvest parade which has something in common somehow with Detroit's Red Dwarf Parade.
    The mastodon, there was a mastodon unearthed near Richland Center, is bringing in the Snow Queen who brings us winter.
    Last edited by oladub; April-22-14 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Nice house hotwheels.
    Thanks. Here is a pic from the 20's.

Name:  20140422_141420.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  32.8 KB

It was built in 1895-96 and, much like the Victorians in Detroit, was converted to a rooming house in the 20's. In the above photo one can make out the sign "rooms for rent".

Just like Detroit, it would be worth a lot more located somewhere else.

Lowell mentioned the restored depot in his article. Here's a pic;

Not quite as impressive as the MC...
    Last edited by hotwheels; April-22-14 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    It is a really unusual fate for Richland Center's sister town. Richland Center, however, is mired in conventional thinking because its town fathers have fear an outsiders takeover it seems.
    Very much so. And because of it neither my brother nor myself stuck around town. No decent jobs and nothing to do.

The social services sector is always growing however. No matter the population isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
    The author's comparison of RC to Detroit is something I have done as well. While there is not near the abandonment, there are plenty of homes that are pretty shabby. A large swath of them was taken out when the dike was built a decade or so ago.
    The greatest abandonment during my years there were rural. An ever-shrinking dairy industry had dotted the country side with crumbling barns and houses. They were the first ruins I explored. They were pretty much all gone by the time of my last visit.

Interesting stories and connections in the posts above. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2