Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

We can all agree that Belle Isle isn't all that it should be or could be for that matter. It will never be what it once was, but could use some TLC to make it more appealing to all patrons, whomever and wherever they come from. Detroit has neither the funds nor the expertise at this point to run this park or any other park in the city for an extended time period, so take the deal and accept the help offered. The alternative is all too apparent once you cross the bridge back into the city.

I'm sorry, I still can't find a downside for this deal. The infrastructure needs work, the facilities need improvement. I agree the "wild" areas need to stay wild.

When I go to Belle Isle, I see a good mix of people there. Many suburbanites support Belle Isle and use it. Oh no! there's going to be a fee [[for vehicles)! yeah, it comes out to around 2 and 3/4 cents a day. deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "DetroitNerd... have you been to Milliken State Park?"

Well I Have, It's a nice, sterile, contrived environment, complete with a BS lighthouse.

“The eastern middle of the island is a drainage mess of a swamp with dead trees everywhere, the canals are surrounded by scrub instead of nice cleared banks”

How HORRIBLE, a DEAD tree in the water! OMG, NATURAL growth, the shame! Have you ever been to a natural forest? Yosemite, Jellystone?, [[YES I know it’s Yellowstone). They actually leave dead trees lying around and let nature take its course because it attracts the natural wildlife. How about Point Pelee, Pointe Mouillee? Maybe the Canadians ought to dump algaecide into the natural swampland to get rid of that pesky seaweed growth? That way you can have a nice, clear bottom, like Camp Dearborn!

“the bathroom facilities are 3rd world....”

Now THERE’S something that COULD stand improvement. I just hope the next generation knows how to behave themselves and doesn’t destroy them like the last time they were repaired.

“and yet you're happy with that mess.... sounds like lowered expectations... even during the CAY adminstration era they said it would cost $150 million to bring the park back to the way it used to be... .”

When? In 1929? Exactly what about the park did he want to restore, and what parts of that restoration estimate are no longer relevant or actually will be used, by today’s standards? I also wonder how much of that estimate included a few Krugerrands for Mr. Young’s pocket.

“Anyone from a world class city would be appalled by the state the park is in.”

Please enlighten me. What “World Class City” are you from? Perhaps a seat @ a local mall indoor water fountain is more to your liking?

Belle Isle, “the Detroit jewel” needs polishing, no doubt. Being a person that frequents the island, 2-3 times a week, I enjoy it FOR its natural state. I enjoy the wildlife, [[both natural and human), I enjoy the scenery, and the views, and the serenity. I’ve brought well-to-do people from “World Class Cities” to the island, in the summer, @ 7 p.m., and they thought it was rather cool. They were less offended by it then some of this forum’s members. I think there SHOULD be some kind of small fee collected to help offset maintenance and improvement costs, and I think there are a lot of things on Belle Isle that could use improvement. What I DON’T want is it “improved” to the point of becoming some kind of corporate waterslide park, complete with strip mall and a McBurger. The fact that Granholm wanted to sink, [[30 mil was it?), into “creating” wetlands @ Milliken State Park just cracks me up. Visiting Belle Isle, like living in Detroit, isn’t for everybody. And Belle Isle, like Detroit certainly isn’t your average cookie-cutter place. Lowered expectations indeed.
    Well since I don't know you or whether you get out much... but in order to bring you up to snuff about what types of beautiful parks "world class cities" have... maybe this will help [[over 1000 images )....
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2086

Also... you'll notice that many of these cities have beautiful floral parts ot their parks... that are not surrounded by 9 ft. wrought iron gates that close at 5pm every day....

And a couple of other things... I remember going to the Band Shell on Belle Isle as a young child and enjoyed it... how were your feelings about that?

I also went to the Belle Isle Zoo... and thought it was cool walking on stilts above the animal compounds... how were your feelings about that?

I never went canoe'ing in the canals, although I would have liked that... and I remember the concession stand by the Aquarium and Conservatory...

So many things that are no longer there or inoperable... so yes for others that is "lowered expectations"....
    Last edited by Gistok; September-12-12 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Detroit was discovered long before Michigan was even recognized as a territory.
    Belle Isle was originally included in Hamtramck township, before it was stolen by Detroiters.

This just in: City Council rejects Belle Isle partnership. Watson calls for prayer vigil. Consent agreement burned.

I saw a couple of comments from people who seemed to be unhappy that a state-run Belle Isle would no longer be a public park, but the idea that state parks aren't public parks is rather odd. They are provided as a public service by the government, and they are open to the public. If you think that a [[very low) fee for bringing a car into a park stops it from being public, of course you can, but that isn't usual definition.

If you drive to the main branch of the Detroit Public Library, you will probably have to pay to park, but it is still a public library. Many public parks don't allow cars at all, but they are still public parks. Free access to automobiles simply isn't an normal part of what people mean when they say something is public.

Just a wildass guess:

Charge a modest admission fee but if patrons exit the park carrying out some predetermined amount of trash, reward them with a coupon for a free admission on their next visit.

Would that not work for everyone's benefit?

I heard the state is going to tow Belle Isle up the Rouge to Lansing.

City Council members opposing the state funding of the island have "friends" who want to develope "amusements" like Kwame Kenyatta wanting Boblo island-like carnival rides on Belle Isle. Who authorized the giant slide? It is an eyesore and doesn't fit the natural feel to the island. It is not well used either.
    I would like to see the roads and bridges
    improved, the concrete taken out,[[sorry Penske), the grass cut on berms so when you are driving thru the middle of the island you can see the cars coming at you going the wrong way on the one way street. Almost had two head on collisions this month alone. Better signage by the state would help that problem.
    Bobby Ferguson got the job of fencing in the deer. Could the state make that less of a prison look? Did you know that when the nature center was built they sprayed Agent Orange all over the area to kill the vegetation? It took 20 years for the plants and critters to come back. Only the city of Detroit would do such a thing. Let the state's wildlife biologists have control of the nature center and bring it up to state standards.
    That golf course could be restored, the fountain better maintained, so many other improvements could be made if the state funds it. Make the Boat Club into a kayaking center and rowing club like the one in Philadelphia.

I have not read the whole thread, but I think it'd be great if they built a nice restaurant or two on the island. That'd have a ton of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    This just in: City Council rejects Belle Isle partnership. Watson calls for prayer vigil. Consent agreement burned.
    I doubt it.

Snyder wouldn't allow that Consent Agreement to burn without throwing Watson, Jones and Kenyatta into those flames first.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I have not read the whole thread, but I think it'd be great if they built a nice restaurant or two on the island. That'd have a ton of potential.
    Truthfully, the only place I'd want to see a restaurant on the island would be at the Detroit Boat Club. Outside of a few rowing clubs practicing there, the place is pretty much closed. This would be a good way to have it reopened to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Truthfully, the only place I'd want to see a restaurant on the island would be at the Detroit Boat Club. Outside of a few rowing clubs practicing there, the place is pretty much closed. This would be a good way to have it reopened to the public.
    Yeah, but not just a restaurant; one of those sweet strip malls that have really upscale places like Potbelly, Noodles Co. and Cold Stone. You know, classy stuff to spice up the island.

I would like to see more trash cans on the island. I usually bring a bag now so that I can police the area around where I picnic but then can never find a can to throw it away. I also would love to see the sink holes fixed in the bike lane.

If Belle Isle does become controlled by the state are they going to ban alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    Who authorized the giant slide? It is an eyesore and doesn't fit the natural feel to the island. It is not well used either.
    I'm going to assume by this comment you didn't grow up around here. Like many other inanimate objects around Detroit [[buildings, houses, etc.), the slide was quite well used in its heyday.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_10883-31330--,00.html

Most State parks ban alcohol in some forms. RV areas, private restaurants, clubhouses and special permit areas can in some cases have alcohol. But the drinking and congregating in cars on the side of the road might not be allowed. Some of these rules were put in place because of rowdyism, Kensington Park at Graduation comes to mind in the 60's-70's.

The giant slide at Belle Isle is the second giant slide, this one was put in about six years ago. How many people use the slide depends on the time of day. In the early afternoon, there was not much activity. But in the late afternoon and on weekends, the slide was packed. Most of the people out of town for family reunions had never seen a giant slide and were facinated with it.

There are other buildings on the island that could become a restaurant... what about the police station? Or incorporated into the former stables that are being restored... and then there's the long closed pavilion by the baseball diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    There are other buildings on the island that could become a restaurant... what about the police station? Or incorporated into the former stables that are being restored... and then there's the long closed pavilion by the baseball diamonds.
    I don't think I would want to eat at a restaurant connected to horse stables.

Kidding, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    I don't think I would want to eat at a restaurant connected to horse stables.

Kidding, of course.

It would make one question the source of the meat they sold, wouldn't it?

Back when I was a kid, no trip to Belle Isle [[and I took man) was complete without as many rides on the giant slide as we could get.

I watched a council committee session yesterday. I'm not sure what committee this was but there were three council members at the table. One member withheld comment on the Belle Isle deal. Another said they'd not participate in the negotiation over Belle Isle with the state. Another member wasn't certain the city was actually able to enter an agreement with the state. That member is going to ask coroporation council to look into the matter&advise if this can be indeed be done.
    The citizens I heard speak were adamant in their opposition to this proposed Belle Isle deal. It was a very lively discussion/public comment.

Quote Originally Posted by KOMPOST View Post
    Yeah, but not just a restaurant; one of those sweet strip malls that have really upscale places like Potbelly, Noodles Co. and Cold Stone. You know, classy stuff to spice up the island.
    What?? No Panera or Starbucks?

I think charging $10 a year for state park access in cars is completely reasonable. I also like that they are not going to charge pedestrians or cyclists to use the island. For that minor incovience we could have the littler removed, working bathrooms, Scott Fountain running all the time, and maintained trails on the state'd dime [[which is also our tax dollars at work for us). For anyone who wanted access to the parks but cannot afford the fee, you can always park and walk across.

Quote Originally Posted by JJD View Post
    I think charging $10 a year for state park access in cars is completely reasonable. I also like that they are not going to charge pedestrians or cyclists to use the island. For that minor incovience we could have the littler removed, working bathrooms, Scott Fountain running all the time, and maintained trails on the state'd dime [[which is also our tax dollars at work for us). For anyone who wanted access to the parks but cannot afford the fee, you can always park and walk across.
    $10 is 2.5 gallons of gasoline. Its not a huge amount of money, particularly for someone who has to operate a car. An added bonus is that it will get you into all of the other state parks that have fees throughout the state.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast