Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Are Gonella's and Giovanni's going to be closing or [[hopefully) moving? Seems strange for them to stay in that 'neighborhood' with the neighborhood itself having been replaced by a mammoth noisy stinky refinery.
    I could see Giovanni's, moving, MAYBE, but Gonella's? They're custom made for a factory lunch crowd. Same with that party store on Dix & Oakwood. I think they'll probably do well with the new workers in the 'hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I could see Giovanni's, moving, MAYBE, but Gonella's? They're custom made for a factory lunch crowd. Same with that party store on Dix & Oakwood. I think they'll probably do well with the new workers in the 'hood.
    Giovanni's stayed put even after suffering two devastating fires in recent years, so I wouldn't be too sure this would cause them to move now either. I would guess most of their business comes from folks far removed from the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Are you sure it's not a Decepticon for Transformers 4?
    I thought that was pretty frickin funny.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Giovanni's stayed put even after suffering two devastating fires in recent years, so I wouldn't be too sure this would cause them to move now either. I would guess most of their business comes from folks far removed from the neighborhood.
    I had dinner there last November and the place was absolutely packed! And you're right, no one there that day looked like they were from the local neighborhood.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-15-13 at 09:26 AM.

Gonella's will be moving to the old Swanson's Dairy at Schaffer/Oakwood, Melvindale.
    Marathon is still in phase 2 of buying the houses. Bussiness are a part of phase 3.

Honky, What do the people of that neighborhood look like? Just wondering what you think I look like. Most people I know, think I look just fine, they would take me anywhere. I get my hair cut and colored once a month, brush my teeth and take a bath everyday. Is that what your getting at?

Quote Originally Posted by 48217 View Post
    Honky, What do the people of that neighborhood look like? Just wondering what you think I look like. Most people I know, think I look just fine, they would take me anywhere. I get my hair cut and colored once a month, brush my teeth and take a bath everyday. Is that what your getting at?
    Do you drive a new $34K car and wear expensive jewelry and clothes? If so, you were probably there that night. Before you get you pantyhose in a twist, I'm from down the block, in Delray. And you DO look cute as a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I don't like the idea of anyone getting "pushed out" of their home, or lowballed in price..
    Nobody got pushed out or low-balled by Marathon. Marathon paid these people WAY more than their houses were actually worth. We're talking a 50% premium above the appraised value, PLUS $5000 in relocation expenses, plus assistance in finding a new home, plus additional money if they signed on to the program early.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011110...2-2B-expansion

Not surprisingly, the residents jumped at the chance to off-load their homes for far far more than they were worth.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Nobody got pushed out or low-balled by Marathon. Marathon paid these people WAY more than their houses were actually worth. We're talking a 50% premium above the appraised value, PLUS $5000 in relocation expenses, plus assistance in finding a new home, plus additional money if they signed on to the program early.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011110...2-2B-expansion

Not surprisingly, the residents jumped at the chance to off-load their homes for far far more than they were worth.
    I'm sure they'll all turn right around and buy homes in Detroit with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    In fact, I know someone who moved out of Oakwood and relocated to Melvindale a few years back who is upset that she could have stayed put for a little longer and received more money for her house.

Is it any surprise that the piles of nasty coke on the river are tied to both the Koch Brothers [[Koch Minerals owns it) and Matty [[land owned by the Ambassador Bridge Co., leased to some rail concern)?

Where did you get that information? BTW, now that the shipping season has begun, it's being transported to Nova Scotia.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Where did you get that information? BTW, now that the shipping season has begun, it's being transported to Nova Scotia.
    Great, the Koch Brothers are selling coke to Nova Scotia out of Detroit.

Where did you get that information?
    Never mind, I found the source.

it's been in various news outlets

That makes sense because their refineries [[not Marathon) are big users of heavy crude which produce a lot of coke. They probably can consolidate sales of it from various parts of the country. One ship load of it is heading to a coal shipping dock and another load is going to a power plant, both in Nova Scotia.

BTW, the picture on their website shows an example of proper coke storage: Koch Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that Giovanni's moves. The owner, a very nice older lady, expressed annoyance to me that they're never written up in all the gushy articles about Detroit, never included in restaurant week, and never really get much credit from anybody since they're not downtown. I sure can empathize with her, given that according to the media and everybody else - the City especially - Midtown and downtown are the only places in Detroit that matter. The rest of us are just poor benighted fucks living in the "neighborhoods." She's also not a minority business-owner so frankly I doubt the City will care much to retain her like in the way they fell all over themselves to create "Paradise Valley" or rename presidential streets after music producers who skipped town.

She expressed interest in Brighton, I think. I'm not entirely sure what or where that is, or who would want to be out there besides farmers or deer, but I can't say I blame her.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that Giovanni's moves. The owner, a very nice older lady, expressed annoyance to me that they're never written up in all the gushy articles about Detroit, never included in restaurant week, and never really get much credit from anybody since they're not downtown. I sure can empathize with her, given that according to the media and everybody else - the City especially - Midtown and downtown are the only places in Detroit that matter. The rest of us are just poor benighted fucks living in the "neighborhoods." She's also not a minority business-owner so frankly I doubt the City will care much to retain her like in the way they fell all over themselves to create "Paradise Valley" or rename presidential streets after music producers who skipped town.

She expressed interest in Brighton, I think. I'm not entirely sure what or where that is, or who would want to be out there besides farmers or deer, but I can't say I blame her.

Good I am not in midtown right now, I would piss myself laffing. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2