Thieves victimize 2 newly closed Detroit schools

Jun 18, 2009 1:45 PM
From The Detroit News: Thieves broke into two Detroit Public Schools this week just as the district undergoes a rapid-fire effort to secure 16 decommissioned school buildings and prevent the large-scale vandalism and looting that has characterized past school closures. The district hired private security to patrol the schools and two warehouses after the break-ins at Cleveland and Macomb schools. The district is closing 29 of its schools. In recent years the district failed to properly shutter schools, leaving student records, desks, books and other materials in the closed buildings. Some schools were ransacked and vandalized.

This has happened WAY too many times. They should have thought about this when they closed their 1st school. Duh! Is there no SOP? They just LEAVE the stuff? Not even try to auction it, or something! Insane AND stupid. That's more money down the drain. And school records? That should be a case for the Feds, you'd think? Where's Arne Duncan, that big shot the President brought in from Chicago as Sec. of Ed.? That's Fed dollars wasted, too, you know.

Last time i looked city ordinances didn't allow for fences higher than 6 feet. Heck, I can climb that....if I wanted to....