Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
Richard,

You are making a lot of assumptions about what people in this city have done at the Packard.

You dismiss our concerns about the current state of the site with "you people dumped on it, and the EPA said it's not that bad."

You say it's private property owned by "someone", yet that same "someone" has not made any efforts to secure the site from illegal dumpers, preserve it for future use or investment, or maintain it in any way, shape or form.

Yet, we [[and by we, I mean the city of Detroit) are supposed to honor the fact that a 35 acre site is private property, and it should not be dealt with federally by the EPA because someone owns it, and that's unilaterally important.

Right.

I wonder: How many times have the "owner/s" of the Packard shown up when their fucking private property has been in flames? Never.
Lets break this down abit.

"You are making a lot of assumptions about what people in this city have done at the Packard."

You dismiss our concerns about the current state of the site with "you people dumped on it, and the EPA said it's not that bad."

I do not need to assume ,I am well aware of the state it is in ,and actually am quite amazed that it contains super powers,where else in the world are you going to find a building that grows its own piles of tires,piles of trash,where sledge hammers come flying out of nowhere and knock out bricks so trucks that mysteriously appear from nowhere can fall off of the roof,or gallons of paint mysteriously fall from the sky and adorn pretty much every square inch.Calls for a visit from the pope maybe?

You are correct I have no clue so can you please inform me as to how everything got there and how so much spontaneous combustion occurs weekly with total disregard to the firemen or yes even fellow residents.

Maybe it is people sneaking over on the train from Canada in a plot to take over the city.

Nobody has or few have a problem entering the property and using for their enjoyment but has anybody ever carried a bag of trash out with them? I do not think so.Why ? because it is not their problem.

I do not dismiss your concerns about what is happening but once again the question was raised if the EPA can be used to do the clean up.

The toxic chemicals are being dispersed by others causing the fires not only does it not qualify as a Superfund site it is not the EPA job to put out fires.

The city created the mess [[search function keyword Packard)
certain residents both city and suburb and out of town visitors daily visit the place and add more to the mess and destruction the mess does not grow on its own.

"You say it's private property owned by "someone", yet that same "someone" has not made any efforts to secure the site from illegal dumpers, preserve it for future use or investment, or maintain it in any way, shape or form."

Given the condition that many of the buildings are in the city that pretty much covers half of the city.Seems to me demolishing Packard is not going to solve any problems because the reason that it is in the shape it is in goes way deeper then bricks and mortar.

It would cost $137,000 per year for 1 security guard on duty 24-7. So every property owner and home owner should pay those additional funds on top of their taxes to ensure the laws are enforced?

You are as aware as I am that the city is low on funds and has a problem enforcing the laws so it is kinda hard to add that expense or degrade a property owner for not securing their property,and lets be realistic even buildings that are secured with support groups watching them are being stripped,so who even knows what the answer is there.

"Yet, we [[and by we, I mean the city of Detroit) are supposed to honor the fact that a 35 acre site is private property, and it should not be dealt with federally by the EPA because someone owns it, and that's unilaterally important. "

It is clear that honor is not a priority,that has nothing to do with it,EPA has protocols that have to be followed and the use of the federal government by private citizens to demolish is dangerous territory.

You can call them or register a complaint or open a case but they are going to look at the study I provided in the link and make their decision,the newspaper did a piece on the massive amount of lead in Detroit neighborhoods how is that going? Like I said earlier the environmental on the globe building property is equal to the Packard plant x 1000 is the EPA there? Call them have them tear it down,where does it stop?

How about placing a phone call or email a day to your state legislator that has bills in front of them to prevent a lot of this from happening in the first place as we can go on forever about past evils or the whys hows and what ifs.Get ahead of the game first using the tools that are in front of you because it does not matter how many buildings you demolish or even how you go about it until you get to the base of the problem you will beat yourself and frustrate yourself to death and it will never end.