Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Ssshhhh! Don't let the facts get in the way of the "narrative" of the aggrieved.
    You keep avoiding the real truth! Everyone is here to cruise Woodward not Detroit! The cruising was done in the past right where they are cruising now! By the way most everyone in the past drove their parent's car, and some of our parents were racing unarthorized factory high performance cars. You are definately in the should move somewhere else where nobody cares group. Lastly from a historic standpoint of automobile companies for the most part cars have not been designed, tested or assembled in the city since the mid 1950's. Ford has not built a car from the ground up within the city limits of Detroit since 1908, GM since the mid 1950's, and Chrysler has really never made a complete car in Detroit. The last 2 independents to completely manufacture a car within the city limits went out of business around 1958. Although all of the companies do have assembly plants in the city almost all of the development work is done in the burbs or on the west coast. Blinders are a very bad thing!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; August-19-12 at 08:25 PM.

I enjoy going to the Cruise every year. For many years my own jalopy sat in the garage waiting on parts or bodywork while I gained "inspiration" to finish my project.

The cruise site of my youth was Gratiot back in the '80s and the personality of cruises back then were to hang out with friends, check out cars and pick up chicks. I cruised with a white 1970 AMC Hornet.

I believe there has been some degree of backlash on the commericalization of the cruise. If the automotive sponsors were smart, they would be better off building goodwill for their brand than trying to turn the event into an attempt to profit. It tends to wear against the true intention of the event.

Different strokes for different folks drives my mindset for those who don't care for the cruise, but don't begrudge me my hobby either.

My biggest gripe is pre-1980 cars in the right two lanes. I tend to give a break to those about to turn or those who drove from long distances to spend their cash here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And you choose to stay away because it's not your thing. I can easily and emphatically respect that. At least I don't sense some evil glee when something wrong happens at this event. You have complete dominion over your actions and choose to let others do the same.
    I completely support your right to get out a bar that you have spent a ton of cash on and risk it in a sea of other classic cars driven by people with nothing better to do. You could spend the next year waxing it hourly to get ready for it for all I care. It still comes off about as authentic an event as eating a McDonalds cheeseburger. I'm mostly annoyed by tv and radio acting like it's some great event. I remember cruising when I was a teenager. As I remember it was about looking to see the headlights on the something other than the cars.

I guess the only opinion anybody is allowed to have about burning a ton of gas is that it's the best thing EVER. Well, enjoy it. I'll continue to avoid it in my hybrid and hope for real mass transit.
    Last edited by jtf1972; August-19-12 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I completely support your right to get out a bar that you have spent a ton of cash on and risk it in a sea of other classic cars driven by people with nothing better to do. You could spend the next year waxing it hourly to get ready for it for all I care. It still comes off about as authentic an event as eating a McDonalds cheeseburger. I'm mostly annoyed by tv and radio acting like it's some great event. I remember cruising when I was a teenager. As I remember it was about looking to see the headlights on the something other than the cars.

I guess the only opinion anybody is allowed to have about burning a ton of gas is that it's the best thing EVER. Well, enjoy it. I'll continue to avoid it in my hybrid and hope for real mass transit.
    Please do avoid it, the last thing we need is a useless non-automobile blocking our way as they normally do on a daily basis! You need to move to Toronto or one of the cities in the Northeast, they will meet your needs. As for authentic you will never find the number and quality of the automobiles on display last week ANYWHERE! Even the "epicenter" of car culture California has nothing that comes close to number of cars that make their way here. The rest of the incidentals [[including media) are just that and very easy to tune out.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Please do avoid it, the last thing we need is a useless non-automobile blocking our way as they normally do on a daily basis! You need to move to Toronto or one of the cities in the Northeast, they will meet your needs. As for authentic you will never find the number and quality of the automobiles on display last week ANYWHERE! Even the "epicenter" of car culture California has nothing that comes close to number of cars that make their way here. The rest of the incidentals [[including media) are just that and very easy to tune out.
    You win. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    You win. LOL
    Of course! LOL

The Dream Cruise does adversely affect a lot of people. It makes getting around southeastern Oakland County a nightmare for that weekend. And it messes with the bottom line of a lot of businesses around there. The Dream Cruise is to the back-in-the-day cruising that the Boomers get all misty-eyed about what the PT Cruiser is to an actual old classic hot rod - a sad and inauthentic parody. The past is gone. And Woodward should be left to serve the role it was designed for - transportation - every weekend in August.
    So here's my idea: since the Dream Cruise is nothing like back-in-the-day Woodward cruising anyway, it should be moved to Michigan International Speedway. It's a place designed for driving around in a big oval, and it's out in the sticks surrounded by lots of trees to help soak up those massive carbon emissions that Americans seem to think are our God-given right.
    You can have parade time and hot rod time. And only those vehicles judged worthy are allowed on the track. It's not back in the day when you and all your old Boomer friends piled into whatever car you could get for the night and nobody cares about seeing a late 90's Nissan out there. People have to sign waivers and if they wreck their rides or get hurt during hot rod time well, tough tittie. You play with matches... Haters like me can stay away and laugh at the wrecks on youtube.
    Obviously, the Dream Cruise would have to be held on a different weekend since NASCAR was out at MIS this past weekend. It's kind of strange to me that both events are held on the same weekend anyway. Aren't there any gearheads out there who are into both?
    Last edited by KJ5; August-20-12 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    The Dream Cruise does adversely affect a lot of people. It makes getting around southeastern Oakland County a nightmare for that weekend. And it messes with the bottom line of a lot of businesses around there. The Dream Cruise is to the back-in-the-day cruising that the Boomers get all misty-eyed about what the PT Cruiser is to an actual old classic hot rod - a sad and inauthentic parody. The past is gone. And Woodward should be left to serve the role it was designed for - transportation - every weekend in August.
    So here's my idea: since the Dream Cruise is nothing like back-in-the-day Woodward cruising anyway, it should be moved to Michigan International Speedway. It's a place designed for driving around in a big oval, and it's out in the sticks surrounded by lots of trees to help soak up those massive carbon emissions that Americans seem to think are our God-given right.
    You can have parade time and hot rod time. And only those vehicles judged worthy are allowed on the track. It's not back in the day when you and all your old Boomer friends piled into whatever car you could get for the night and nobody cares about seeing a late 90's Nissan out there. People have to sign waivers and if they wreck their rides or get hurt during hot rod time well, tough tittie. You play with matches... Haters like me can stay away and laugh at the wrecks on youtube.
    Obviously, the Dream Cruise would have to be held on a different weekend since NASCAR was out at MIS this past weekend. It's kind of strange to me that both events are held on the same weekend anyway. Aren't there any gearheads out there who are into both?
    Oh Please.......then we should do away with Parades for the Red Wings, 4th of July, Tiger, Lions games, concerts downtown, Street Art Fairs, Memorial day, St. Patricks day, Thanksgiving.....etc....because they mess up the roads and businesses on those days.....So as you can see your whining about one weekend is rediculous.....Every event affects somebody....you need to let it go......find something to do that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    You have be to young to remember when the cruising on Woodward was every weekend of the summer both friday and saturday evenings! Now its just one week. Think about trying to deal with Woodward being backed up every weekend? You are also being added to the move somewhere else group. Its one day out of the year how hard is it to make plans in advance? Think up north!

Just finished blogging and uploading my pictures from this year's Dream Cruise. As good as ever, and seemingly a lot more streetrods that there have been in a few years. Good show overall. Can't wait till Hines Drive next Sunday!

2012 Woodward Dream Cruise - Photos

Thankfully, I am out of town on Dream Cruise weekend. I live close to Woodward, and my neighborhood becomes a living hell of drunken old farts, complete with bodily fluids, broken glass, and police activity.

I know that 99% of Dream Cruisers are good people, but the few idiots make this a huge pain for the locals. There's also no way for locals to get around, and it's definitely a net economic negative for the region, with all the non-beer and non-coney businesses along Woodward suffering a one-week virtual shutdown.

Laughing and laughing at your jealousy! Doing this all while I cruise in my 1968 Pontiac GTO Convertible and have LOTS of pretty girls ask for a ride in the car. Its one week out of the year to enjoy an activity that made us famous. If you cannot deal with that its time to move to some place that actually cares about your hybrid!
    If by jealousy you mean "so freakin' glad I live nowhere near there," yes, you're right.

Just because I find the Magic Bag's quixotic campaign amusing doesn't mean I'm against it or own a hybrid. Think about it, dude. If I don't want to deal with traffic during a Lions game, does that mean I hate all sports and hold out my pinky when I sip tea? Come on ...

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Seriously, for one week its not going to kill anyone or anyones business....let it be. I've always felt that if it [[anything) doesn't adversely affect my life, let them do their thing.
    Are you a business owner on Woodward? Then you are not in a position to speak on this. Magic Bag is hardly the only business on Woodward that hates the Dream Cruise, and it's not because they are "jealous."

Just saw a 1914 Ford Model A. That tin lizzy is beautiful. Still runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    If by jealousy you mean "so freakin' glad I live nowhere near there," yes, you're right.

Just because I find the Magic Bag's quixotic campaign amusing doesn't mean I'm against it or own a hybrid. Think about it, dude. If I don't want to deal with traffic during a Lions game, does that mean I hate all sports and hold out my pinky when I sip tea? Come on ...
    Taking time out for that list? Jealous is the only thing it can be! You are definately in the should move somewhere else group.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Are you a business owner on Woodward? Then you are not in a position to speak on this. Magic Bag is hardly the only business on Woodward that hates the Dream Cruise, and it's not because they are "jealous."
    I am a small business owner mid august sucks for most everyone, I bet if you compare the books to non cruise sat during august there would not be a very large difference.

I'm calling bullshit on some of the previous posts. During dream cruise week traffic is mostly normal on Woodward Avenue during the day. It doesn't get heavy with cruisers until about 7pm. After 7pm, you can travel Greenfield, Coolidge, or any of the other North-South streets. Before 7pm, it's business as usual on Woodward Avenue with hardly any slowdowns at all. From what I can see, you can shop or drive any place you want.

I live less then 2 miles West of Woodward between 15 and 16 Mile Roads. Other then an occasional classic car going by, on Saturday you wouldn't have even known there was a cruise going on around my neighborhood. I was out most of the day on Saturday, I didn't seen any drunks, or any bodily fluids I could recognize. I'm not saying there wasn't rowdy people, or everybody was Mr. and Mrs. Nice Guy, but, people were really having a good time. Seems like we could use more of that around here.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post

Seriously.....you've go to be kidding.....I am a business man, and if my entire business hinged on one weekends business, then I need to get out of business!!!!

I certainly don't begrudge anyone for attending this [[of course, I don't live in the area!), but what's the appeal of "cruising"? My family used to take weekend trips with no destination in mind, but the idea was to get into the country and avoid people/traffic.

Taking time out for that list? Jealous is the only thing it can be! You are definately in the should move somewhere else group.
    You have single-handedly went from making me mildly annoyed with the Dream Cruise to despising it. Congratulations. I just can't stand arrogant folks.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm calling bullshit on some of the previous posts. During dream cruise week traffic is mostly normal on Woodward Avenue during the day. It doesn't get heavy with cruisers until about 7pm. After 7pm, you can travel Greenfield, Coolidge, or any of the other North-South streets. Before 7pm, it's business as usual on Woodward Avenue with hardly any slowdowns at all. From what I can see, you can shop or drive any place you want.
    I live two blocks from Woodward, and, at least where I live, none of this is true. And I'm in Birmingham, which isn't even the worst part [[Royal Oak gets the peak congestion).

Beginning Tuesday, Woodward was a slow-moving parade of cars that was essentially useless for day-to-day commerce. Passing through on 14 Mile and Maple meant both ridiculous multiple-light waits. 13 Mile, I gurarantee, was much worse.

And the nonsense doesn't begin at 7. I'm on the road around 6, returning from work, and Woodward was already a mess at 6 on Tuesday.

My neighborhood is a crappy occupied zone of police barracades and drunken idiots from out-of-town. Granted, I wasn't here on Friday/Saturday, because I purposely go up north [[most of my neighbors also leave town, to avoid the nonsense).

I'm not seeking to end the cruise or anything like that. But I don't enjoy it, all the local residents I know don't enjoy it, and I think it's a net economic negative. I also find it distasteful and rude to celebrate giant gas-guzzling clunkers by polluting the area. Do it out in Holly or something, where you aren't poisoning everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    You have single-handedly went from making me mildly annoyed with the Dream Cruise to despising it. Congratulations. I just can't stand arrogant folks.
    Your welcome! Since you are annoyed you join the move to another area group!

Just because you are annoying doesn't mean people need to move. Most of us have to deal with annoying, arrogant people everywhere we go.

Breaking news: Girls like cool cars, not necessarily the tools driving them. Your mileage may vary.

I didn't write it. It only took a second to copy and post it. The link may not have worked for everybody, after all.

Anyway, I am glad I don't live near the route. I have some friends up there and they always reserve that week to leave town. Logistically speaking, it just makes their lives impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Just because you are annoying doesn't mean people need to move. Most of us have to deal with annoying, arrogant people everywhere we go.
    I can mention parades, art fairs, various sporting events, construction, guys cutting the grass at 8:30AM, dogs taking a dump on my lawn, and a whole litany of things that can be listed as "annoying". There is no utopia living in an urban environment. One can either learn to live with it or move out of the area- and I'd be willing to bet that even if one were to move further out- they'd have a whole new list of annoyances.

Life's about dealing with little inconveniences.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast