Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

For people that don't know how BADASS that car is.

Last edited by black gold man; August-22-12 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Totally disagree. Woodward businesses take a massive hit all week long.

No one is going grocery shopping at the Maple/Woodward Kroger, or buying a car at the dealerships, or buying furniture at the Art Van. No one is browsing at Birmingham Wine or getting takeout/delivery at Dominos. The notion that it's "businesess as usual" is very different from my experience.

The only people making more money than usual are the out-of-town bootleg t-shirt/junk dealers, and the coney island drive-ins. For everyone else, it's a lost week.

And the Dream Cruise isn't really "part of the flavor of the area". It's a relatively new event, hosted and attended by outsiders, and those outsiders don't share the values of the community. This isn't a community of drag strip wanna-bes.

A truly Birmingham Dream Cruise would be a parade of Priuses, Audis and expensive bikes, anyways.
    Honestly, I think the vast majority of the 5 paragraphs above is total bullshit. there's an additional one million plus people on Woodward Avenue and business is WORSE then usual? All those people eat at coney islands and don't eat pizza? Or eat anything or anywhere else? For crying out loud, downtown Birmingham, Royal Oak and Ferndale were jammed. How on earth can you contend that all those people kept there money in their pocket and didn't spend any?

Your last sentence about the Audi parade is so off center I'm not going to comment.

GUSHI Guest

Gonna bring my Yugo
    next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Gonna bring my Yugo
    next year.
    The bridge over I-696 must be calling out to you!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Honestly, I think the vast majority of the 5 paragraphs above is total bullshit. there's an additional one million plus people on Woodward Avenue and business is WORSE then usual?
    There could be 10 billion people sitting on lawn chairs on Woodward; it's of no use to 95% of the businesses. I'm really amazed you think differently.

Looking at the nearest Woodward intersection to my house, the businesses include FedEx outlet, a carpet store, a dry cleaners, a wine store, a dentist and and a yoga place. All of those busineses are killed all week. No one is doing yoga, buying carpet, and having their teeth cleaned while watching the old cars.
    All those people eat at coney islands and don't eat pizza? Or eat anything or anywhere else?
    Yeah, they don't eat pizza. Dominos is a pizza delivery place. They don't sell individual slices. The drivers can't get to their locations.

Downtown Birmingham restaurants are a ghost town all week. Places that are normally hopping [[Cafe Via and the like) are empty, because their target audience refuses to come downtown.

Most people in Birmingham think the Dream Cruise sucks. The participants aren't from around here. Sorry if some folks have better ways to occupy their time that get sunburned while sitting in lawnchairs to watch belching, noisy old vehicles.

Anybody notice that after the event that brings out a bunch of cars that get less than 10 mpg, gas prices dropped 20 cents? Funny they went up and stayed there before. I wonder if this happens every year...

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Anybody notice that after the event that brings out a bunch of cars that get less than 10 mpg, gas prices dropped 20 cents? Funny they went up and stayed there before. I wonder if this happens every year...
    Nobody cares that you are whining about automobiles that are used very sparingly get lousy gas mileage [[according to you)!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    Just finished blogging and uploading my pictures from this year's Dream Cruise. As good as ever, and seemingly a lot more streetrods that there have been in a few years. Good show overall. Can't wait till Hines Drive next Sunday!

2012 Woodward Dream Cruise - Photos
    Thanks for posting your photos. Of course Dave and I did stroll through Memorial Park early Saturday afternoon. Sorry we didn't run into you!

There could be 10 billion people sitting on lawn chairs on Woodward; it's of no use to 95% of the businesses. I'm really amazed you think differently.

Looking at the nearest Woodward intersection to my house, the businesses include FedEx outlet, a carpet store, a dry cleaners, a wine store, a dentist and and a yoga place. All of those busineses are killed all week. No one is doing yoga, buying carpet, and having their teeth cleaned while watching the old cars.

Yeah, they don't eat pizza. Dominos is a pizza delivery place. They don't sell individual slices. The drivers can't get to their locations.

Downtown Birmingham restaurants are a ghost town all week. Places that are normally hopping [[Cafe Via and the like) are empty, because their target audience refuses to come downtown.

Most people in Birmingham think the Dream Cruise sucks. The participants aren't from around here. Sorry if some folks have better ways to occupy their time that get sunburned while sitting in lawnchairs to watch belching, noisy old vehicles.
    Here's where you rationale falls apart. I think we would agree that the city of Birmingham does just most things right. I can't think of too many mistakes that they make. The same can be said to a lesser degree about Royal Oak and Ferndale. If as you have asserted, the the Dream Cruise is killing business, and the majority of the local residents despise it, then why on God's green earth do all three cities embrace the cruise the way they do? They could choose not to participate. It certainly isn't because they're in love with the unwashed masses strolling through the city not spending their cash anywhere but the Coney Islands.

This is the last comment I'm going to make on this subject. It's starting to bore me.

Had the Dream Cruise ever came into Detroit at least to 7 mile road one year? Maybe Detroit will have one when the economy improve. Belle Isle would be a good spot for a smaller size Dream Cruise. It could be held on Jefferson from Cobo Hall to Chalmers with a car festival at Hart Plaza sponsered by Chevrolet

If as you have asserted, the the Dream Cruise is killing business, and the majority of the local residents despise it, then why on God's green earth do all three cities embrace the cruise the way they do?
    Birmingham doesn't embrace the Dream Cruise. This has been a sore point for many years. Birmingham doesn't host any Dream Cruise-related events, and has refused to contribute to shared expenses.

I never said Royal Oak and Ferndale residents dislike the Dream Cruise, or it's a net economic negative for them. I don't know enough about their situation. It may be a net positive for them, because they have different kinds of businesses, especially downtown [[more bars and the like). Culturally, those towns are different, so maybe there's less antipathy towards the cruise. This makes sense, as they seem to embrace the event.

If they want to keep the Dream Cruise, but keep it south of 14 Mile, fine by me. I have no problem with that. It would be nice to have that week back.

Birmingham doesn't embrace the Dream Cruise. This has been a sore point for many years. Birmingham doesn't host any Dream Cruise-related events, and has refused to contribute to shared expenses.

I never said Royal Oak and Ferndale residents dislike the Dream Cruise, or it's a net economic negative for them. I don't know enough about their situation. It may be a net positive for them, because they have different kinds of businesses, especially downtown [[more bars and the like). Culturally, those towns are different, so maybe there's less antipathy towards the cruise. This makes sense, as they seem to embrace the event.

If they want to keep the Dream Cruise, but keep it south of 14 Mile, fine by me. I have no problem with that. It would be nice to have that week back.
    If Birmingham does not embrace the cruise what is this article taken directly from the city's website? To for you to wake up and get a clue!

On Saturday, August 18, 2012, downtown Birmingham will host the Birmingham Cruise Event to celebrate the region's automotive heritage. Activities include a variety of automotive exhibits, sponsor displays, and a variety of vendors - all complementing the classic car show, which features hundreds of classic cars on display on Old Woodward between Merrill St. and Lincoln Ave.

The link to the page.

http://www.ci.birmingham.mi.us/index.aspx?page=521
    Last edited by p69rrh51; August-24-12 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    If Birmingham does not embrace the cruise what is this article taken directly from the city's website? To for you to wake up and get a clue!
    Not sure why a link from a website indicates that Birmingham embraces the Dream Cruise. It's not like the city has tanks at the border shooting people.

The fact is that they haven't had any involvement in the Dream Cruise for years. This year, they decided to establish a separate "cruise event" to try and lure folks to a Henry Ford-style exhibit along Old Woodward. In past years, they didn't do anything whatsoever, and were getting killed in the press.

Here's the reality:
    Birmingham Throws Tantrum, Withdraws From Woodward Dream Cruise
    http://jalopnik.com/5293789/birmingham-throws-tantrum-withdr
    aws-from-woodward-dream-cruise

Not sure why a link from a website indicates that Birmingham embraces the Dream Cruise. It's not like the city has tanks at the border shooting people.

The fact is that they haven't had any involvement in the Dream Cruise for years. This year, they decided to establish a separate "cruise event" to try and lure folks to a Henry Ford-style exhibit along Old Woodward. In past years, they didn't do anything whatsoever, and were getting killed in the press.

Here's the reality:

Those places you have aready mentioned are exactly where you belong! A 3 year old article you really need to get out more.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; August-24-12 at 09:23 AM.

Here's the reality:

Wow, I must be on a decade long LSD trip. Every year we walk through Birmingham on Dream Cruise Saturday. Every year there's some kind of General Motors display on the grassy triangle on the West side of Woodward North of Lincoln. Every year they have the same exact streets closed for the classic cars which are parked side by side [[owners are charged a nominal amount) I see the same Corvettes and Rolls Royce every damm Dream Cruise.

I'm confused, I just don't understand how you can say the city of Birmingham doesn't have any involvement in the Dream Cruise. The above sure ain't happening without city approval.

I'm confused, I just don't understand how you can say the city of Birmingham doesn't have any involvement in the Dream Cruise. The above sure ain't happening without city approval.

Birmingham stopped all Dream Cruise-related funding in 2009.

The fact that there is something auto-related on display downtown has nothing to do with whether or not city monies are going to Dream Cruise-sanctioned events.

I'm amazed that people are so personally offended that not everyone like drunken outsiders hanging out in their neighborhood all week, causing noise, pollution and general chaos.

IMO we could just move the Dream Cruise to where these participants live, and then everyone is happy.
    Last edited by Bham1982; August-25-12 at 12:11 PM.

The fact that there is something auto-related on display downtown has nothing to do with whether or not city monies are going to Dream Cruise-sanctioned events.

I'm amazed that people are so personally offended that not everyone like drunken outsiders hanging out in their neighborhood all week, causing noise, pollution and general chaos.

IMO we could just move the Dream Cruise to where these participants live, and then everyone is happy.
    The Dream Cruise brings over 56million dollars to the area economy every year and growing. There is no sane argument that it is not an overall plus for the area. But go ahead and bitch' that is your rite.

Really, Birmingham rejoined the the 'official' list of communities sponsoring the cruise. Check out the commission minutes from June 25th.
    06-187-12 REQUEST TO REJOIN THE WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE, INC
    Mr. Bruner recommended the City rejoin the Woodward Dream Cruise, Inc. as the cruise event is expanding in Birmingham. He noted the organization now has a sponsor and was able to disburse funds back to each member community. He confirmed that there is no cost to be a member of the organization.

Commissioner Rinschler pointed out that as a member, the events in Birmingham would be promoted in the Woodward Dream Cruise, Inc. literature.
    MOTION: Motion by Rinschler, seconded by McDaniel:
    To rejoin Woodward Dream Cruise, Inc. as a member municipality; and designating Principal Shopping District Executive Director John Heiney as the City’s representative on the Board of Directors; and designating Assistant to the City Manager Christian Wuerth as the City’s alternate on the Board of Directors.

VOTE: Yeas, 6
    Nays, None
    Absent, 1 [[Moore)

Are you going to keep pushing your almost non-existent position or just go away? Clueless is what you are so far!

Popped up on the MSN homepage this morning:
    http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...cid=autos_3196

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5