Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How's the Scott Fountain looking these days? Clean that up as much as possible.

Even though I no longer live in Michigan I remember going to the Belle Isle bandshell. I don't know if the bandshell is still there but it was so wonderful sitting under the stars listening to the DSO. My wish would be to bring the DSO and the bandshell back to Belle Isle.

To much cement

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Even though I no longer live in Michigan I remember going to the Belle Isle bandshell. I don't know if the bandshell is still there but it was so wonderful sitting under the stars listening to the DSO. My wish would be to bring the DSO and the bandshell back to Belle Isle.

Imagine if there was music there all the time...bring that husk to life!

It sure livens up Campus Martius. Maybe they can co-ordinate, double the gigs for the musicians. Afternoon in downtown, evening on Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Imagine if there was music there all the time...bring that husk to life!

It sure livens up Campus Martius. Maybe they can co-ordinate, double the gigs for the musicians. Afternoon in downtown, evening on Belle Isle.

That's a wonderful idea.

A liqour store duh! I kid I kid. I would love to see a fee assessed!

By the way did anyone listen to the segment regarding Belle Isle on the Craig Fahle show this morning?
    Last edited by warsaw7; August-14-12 at 10:48 AM.

Garbage cans garbage cans garbage cans and more garbage cans, like a 1000 of them. [[plus a small truck and 4 people who's sole job is to drive the garbage can route during park hours)

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Entrance fee, keep the scum out
    Thirteen posts. Not bad. And phrased just as I expected it.

Last I noted it was surrounded by a fence to keep the copper scrappers away. You could no longer access it. Not sure how that is going... perhaps razor wire?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    How's the Scott Fountain looking these days? Clean that up as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    Garbage cans garbage cans garbage cans and more garbage cans, like a 1000 of them. [[plus a small truck and 4 people who's sole job is to drive the garbage can route during park hours)
    Bingo!!!!
    One of the reasons Central Park [[and Manhattan in general) is so clean is that you're never far from a trash container. Throughout the weekend garbage trucks roll through the park emptying them in a timely fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Bingo!!!!
    One of the reasons Central Park [[and Manhattan in general) is so clean is that you're never far from a trash container. Throughout the weekend garbage trucks roll through the park emptying them in a timely fashion.
    that and a shred of pride for the earth. i can't stand when people litter. whats equally troubling is i often see adults littering in front of their small children. why is this considered acceptable behavior? christ, if you're gonna crumple up your recepit and pitch in the parking lot, why did u take it at all?
    Last edited by hybridy; August-14-12 at 01:55 PM.

Yeah, that work detail can increase by 200% on weekend nights, if they'd put the worst litterers on a working probation. Imagine having to clean up your friend's island party, while they party, on a Friday night with you dressed the fool. In a uniform.

At some point, that would have to be a deterrent to further littering.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Last I noted it was surrounded by a fence to keep the copper scrappers away. You could no longer access it. Not sure how that is going... perhaps razor wire?
    As long as the Feds keep tabs on Bobby Ferguson, the fountain is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    A brand new conservatory with classrooms to educate school children and clean bathrooms to boot.
    Sorry... but the current conservatory was built by Albert Kahn, and is considered a treasure [[the Palm House is about 100 ft. tall). The only thing I could ever see is if they expanded it... towards the entrance side.

The last time I was on Belle Isle there was more trash around the garbage cans than inside of them. Why bother spending money on something that is not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The fountain looks good these days. It appears that it had something to do with the Grand Prix. Apparently after it was scrapped the city hired somebody to replace the piping, but it ended up staining the fountain and they stopped running it. It was really sad and screamed of incompetence. Now it has been cleaned and doesn't dirty itself anymore. It is "on" pretty regularly, but not all the time for unknown reasons [[somebody forgets to turn the damn thing on? Hell if I know) and runs at bizarrely low water pressure.

I don't know why something as simple as a fountain has to be so hard in this city. Then again, I used to sit in on meetings with the Belle Isle administrators...not exactly the brain trust there...

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    The last time I was on Belle Isle there was more trash around the garbage cans than inside of them. Why bother spending money on something that is not being used.
    Often this occurs because of bottle scavengers. They pull the trash out, and don't bother to put it back.

I was at a barbeque on BI last weekend and the wind was strong and constant, so napkins and such blew around everywhere. But when it came time to leave, everybody started bailing and wouldn't pick up the garbage, like "oh someone else will get it." As I picked up the crap, including balled up socks and soiled baby diapers, people were accusing me of having OCD, like something was wrong with me for picking the ish up. Then a few of them had the nerve to complain about having the gathering at dirty belle isle as opposed to a metropark.

These were folks from Hamtramck. They were too drunk to argue with.

The World's Deepest Trash Bin [[Fun Theory)
    Throwing away your trash isn't just fun, it can cause a crowd to gather faster than a celebrity catfight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2