Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sounds like LAX on a boat. No thanks.

The theme [[and music) does determine the crowd to a large extent! I've attended DP cruises for corporate and charity sponsored events. No problem. Attended other non-club like events on board. No problem. Did one of the 'Radio DJ' sponsored events and it was another world!

DP capitalized in providing the lower rate [[some would say low-rent), non-chartered sets which made them money. It started out ok. Long term that choice may cost them their larger bookings and specialty cruise offerings where people actually spent more with crowds less of a hassle to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Maybe they need to stop cruises that cater to the hip hop crowd. Nobody ever got shot on a Michael Bolton cruise!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-12 at 12:10 PM.

Yeah, that is not the long standing WGPR 107.5 of the "old school' R&B crowd. The new Radio One 107.5 is for sure the hard edge rap and and hip hop [[which has another audience and age demographic).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Perhaps. This particular cruise was sponsored by Radio One's Hot 107.5.

My understanding is just before the Hip-Hop cruise, Radio One's Praise 102.7 had their cruise on the boat too.

In the midst of your sarcasm, you still made a good point.

Don't cater to the crowd that engages in this crap.
    ^^This^^

You could not pay me to go on that cruise.

This still doesn't excuse the fact that security was basically non-existent on the boat. How do you not check for fire-arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    This still doesn't excuse the fact that security was basically non-existent on the boat. How do you not check for fire-arms?
    The firearm was not on the boat; it was in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    The firearm was not on the boat; it was in the car.
    Besides that, I most certinaly won't be patronizing a business or event by choice if they must strip search me.

See- so sad. the company provides a nice outing. people ruin it and then they complain about racism on the part of corporate America.

My wife and I went on a DP cruise three summers ago and thoroughly enjoyed it and we were trying to fit our schedule in with another two couples for a cruise this summer but this incident will probably cancel our intent. It may not have happened exactly on the boat, but it's associated with it, at night, in Detroit. This follows a random shooting in downtown several weeks ago - time to rethink the risks of visiting Detroit particularly after 6.00p.
    Last edited by coracle; August-06-12 at 01:49 PM.

Everytime I hear about this type of shooting or an altercation in a fast food restaurant... this comes to mind.... someone with anger management issues [[be they black or white... and there are people of all races with this issue)....

http://youtu.be/IIFiTvZyHNI

bizarre... more craziness I don't relate to..

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    My wife and I went on a DP cruise three summers ago and thoroughly enjoyed it and we were trying to fit our schedule in with another two couples for a cruise this summer but this incident will probably cancel our intent. It may not have happened exactly on the boat, but it's associated with it, at night, in Detroit. This follows a random shooting in downtown several weeks ago - time to rethink the risks of visiting Detroit particularly after 6.00p.
    The risk isn't Detroit at night, it's the hip-hop/rap clientele in Detroit at night. Just don't go on the cruises that are aimed at that demographic.

Besides that, I most certinaly won't be patronizing a business or event by choice if they must strip search me.
    Sometimes its unavoidable. Delta and United do it every day.

But like many above, I too would never even consider going on that cruise. It was an incident waiting to happen.
    I imagine the radio station advertised the cruise on air for months. Meaning any and everybody knew about it. And the target market is the same group that was shooting it up outside downtown nightclubs all spring.
    No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    This is Detroit, you can hear gunshots when you leave your house. I've been through that scenario. I once sas a gunman shooting a stray dog in my northwest side ghettohood in the middle of the night back in the 1990s. There's nothing I can do about it. It just happens. There will be more gunshots and other shootings in the ghettohoods of Detroit until all of the communities and our leaders wake up and smell reality.

You don't have to leave your house to hear gunshots.

You guys act like this stuff is unique to Detroit.

When we lived in Chicago, it seemed like the fireworks, Taste of Chicago, and North Ave beach got shot up every year. There it was simply "well, shit happens, I ain't changing what I do," whereas here it's all doom and gloom.

For all our talk about being "tough", we sure do seem to scare easily.

^^^ I don't think anyone is claiming this to be unique to Detroit.

But with a newly opened international port authority, and the DP [[as a venue of some tourism, public entertainment and employment etc.), experiences a senseless crime such as this IT would will be news... for a minute anyway.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-12 at 06:42 PM.

superduperman Guest

Make sure you don't visit any Sikh temples or movie theaters either or any airports, airplanes or tall buildings, because, you know bad things happened in these places as well. Matter of fact the planet Earth should be avoided at all cost.

Er-um, you forgot vessels that float upon water which eventually have to dock!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Make sure you don't visit any Sikh temples or movie theaters either or any airports, airplanes or tall buildings, because, you know bad things happened in these places as well. Matter of fact the planet Earth should be avoided at all cost.

Yeah, but turning the Detroit Princess into a third world experience will only discourage customers from going on the cruise, and as a result we'll lose it.
    What exactly is a third world experience and what does that have to do with what happened in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    What exactly is a third world experience
    First off, when you go grocery shopping, you can't take your cart to the vehicle as metal bars have been put up.

When you go to a store or gas station, you must do business with the clerk through a bullet-proof glass while security cameras are all over watching your every move.

When you go to a Family Dollar, a voice recording says "this location is being monitored for your safety" repeatedly.

Finally, when you leave, a security guard has to check your receipt and rummage through your entire bag.

As far as getting onto the Princess, it will mean, at the very least, going through metal detectors just to access the boat like you would an Airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post

When we lived in Chicago, it seemed like the fireworks, Taste of Chicago, and North Ave beach got shot up every year. There it was simply "well, shit happens, I ain't changing what I do," whereas here it's all doom and gloom.

I think there is a positivity to any uproar over violence. beats the hell out of "well, shit happens."

First off, when you go grocery shopping, you can't take your cart to the vehicle as metal bars have been put up.

When you go to a store or gas station, you must do business with the clerk through a bullet-proof glass while security cameras are all over watching your every move.

When you go to a Family Dollar, a voice recording says "this location is being monitored for your safety" repeatedly.

Finally, when you leave, a security guard has to check your receipt and rummage through your entire bag.

As far as getting onto the Princess, it will mean, at the very least, going through metal detectors just to access the boat like you would an Airplane.
    If you go on a Caribbean cruise nowadays, you pass through a metal detector and your carry-on and your suitcases get X-rayed. Fortunately the security are not on an ego trip like the assholes TSA uses in the airports.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post

When did you live in Chicago ? Last year ? 3 years ago ?
    I think those acts of violence are kind of new at those events you mentioned, maybe within the last ten years. Same hip hop crowd that shot up this cruise is the same crowd tat disrupts those events. If you want shooting and violence in a club or bar, cater to the hip hop crowd and you'll have one, dollars to donuts.

Taste of Chicago blows anyway, lets stand in a puddle of oil in a closed off street and eat overpriced regular everyday food items.

Maybe this latest from the Detroit News will clear things up a bit:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz22oM57QZy

"According to police, there was a family feud and two groups got into an argument," said John Chamberlain, CEO of CJC Cruises Inc. "One woman called her boyfriend and told him to bring a gun down to the dock. She got off the boat, got the gun from the boyfriend and started shooting at the other family as they got off the boat.
    "She really went kind of crazy and pulled the trigger a lot of times."
    According to Chamberlain, the family being shot at retrieved a gun from a car and started shooting at the woman and her boyfriend as they fled the scene.
    "They hit the boyfriend, and apparently, he's the one who was seriously injured," Chamberlain said. "The other six people were only slightly injured, mostly nicked. This was really an ugly incident."
    Police have interviewed the wounded boyfriend and have obtained the identity of the woman who started the shooting spree, Chamberlain said.
    Initial information from the Detroit Police Department mirrors Chamberlain's understanding of the incident.

So the guy who brought the first gun to the scene takes a bullet from the family that was fired upon.

All outside and off the boat. Princess owner also states, "We're just like the airlines; we check every person for weapons who comes on board. And we do our best to stop problems right away."

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I don't know what to do or say. It doesn't matter how many cops are out on the streets. How do we teach people that the arguing ==> shoving ==> shooting model of behavior is self-destructive?
    I agree.

We've got a really big issue here when so many arguments escalate so quickly.

How do we fix it? Education targeting low-income folks? I'm making the assumption that these folks are low-income...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast