Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

It won't be long and they will by asking for an increase to this milage to pay the extra security, staff and maintenence thiis "Free Addmission" wiill require. I love the DIA, but this will not be good in the long run.

Wish the money grabbers would vote a statewide tax to fund a new Red Wings arena, and maybe tax people enough that I can go to the games for free... What?? you don't like hockey???

Up next, extra millage to support the DSO..... what, you don't go see the Ochestra??? how uncultured are you??

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Wish the money grabbers would vote a statewide tax to fund a new Red Wings arena, and maybe tax people enough that I can go to the games for free... What?? you don't like hockey???

Up next, extra millage to support the DSO..... what, you don't go see the Ochestra??? how uncultured are you??

Gawsh, you'd think Democracy was somehow a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    when the 51% vote to take from the 49% do you just say "it's Democracy!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    It won't be long and they will by asking for an increase to this milage to pay the extra security, staff and maintenence thiis "Free Addmission" wiill require. I love the DIA, but this will not be good in the long run.
    One change already in the making is an increase on admission for people not in the taxed area.
    Anyone in the taxed area should frequent the DIA as much as you can and if you have never been then expose yourself to something new in your life.
    I go back and forth on the millage, but since the tax is on its time to take advantage of the oppurtunity

Glad to see Wayne , Oakland and Macomb counties have a new "jewel". We need to immediately change the name to "The Metro Detroit Institute of Arts.

Oh, Christ. I propose a solution that will please everybody. We have the DIA devote one wing to be dubbed the Macomb County Fun Zone. Its galleries will have portraits of famous players for the Red Wings; instead of a gift shop, that wing will have a Buffalo Wild Wings in it that serves Bud and High Life with free vodka shooters for Macomb County residents. Get your ticket punched five times and get free admission to a monster truck rally. Everybody's happy.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Just because 51% of voters say that this is a good thing, doesn't mean that we can't still debate the merits here, that's why this is a discussion board. If you want historical election results you can go to Wikipedia.

It would be like you saying, "RECALL SNYDER" and my reply being, "Well, 58.1% of people voted him in, so your opinion isn't valid."

Goose's point is very valid. Are we going to subsidize the DSO next and make that free? While we are at it, let's subsidize the zoo even more and make that free. Opera sounds nice, let's subsidize that too! Movies are also a form of art, so let's make your next trip to the movie theater free too [[you'll still have to pay for your refreshments).

Another huge issue that makes this different than subsidizing roads or public education is that the DIA is located very far away from some of the people being forced to pay for it.

I think the DIA is very important, but I don't think a tri-county millage is the way to fund. It would make more sense to fund it via admission fees and donations.
    Last edited by Scottathew; August-08-12 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    If the DIA were generating millions of dollars in annual profits for Mike Ilitch, I wouldn't have voted to subsidize it either. There's a difference between supporting a nonprofit cultural institution and an enormously profitable private business.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oh, Christ. I propose a solution that will please everybody. We have the DIA devote one wing to be dubbed the Macomb County Fun Zone. Its galleries will have portraits of famous players for the Red Wings; instead of a gift shop, that wing will have a Buffalo Wild Wings in it that serves Bud and High Life with free vodka shooters for Macomb County residents. Get your ticket punched five times and get free admission to a monster truck rally. Everybody's happy.
    This is your typical style, distract from the real issues and insult\attack those with dissenting opinions.

"Gee, you don't want to force everyone in the tri-county area to pay for the DIA, so therefore you must be a monster-truck loving inbred hick!"

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    This is your typical style, distract from the real issues and insult\attack those with dissenting opinions.
    No, I'm trying to come up with a solution that pleases us all. Not attacking or insulting. What red-blooded Macomb County resident wouldn't like to go to the Macomb County Fun Zone? I think it's win-win.

"Gee, you don't want to force everyone in the tri-county area to pay for the DIA, so therefore you must be a monster-truck loving inbred hick!"
    Never did I say the residents of Macomb County were inbred!

No, I'm trying to come up with a solution that pleases us all. Not attacking or insulting. What red-blooded Macomb County resident wouldn't like to go to the Macomb County Fun Zone? I think it's win-win.
    Actually, you weren't presenting a solution. Rather you trying to insult anyone who would dare to vote no, and labeling them as ineloquent alcoholics that would only go to the DIA if it had hockey, beer, and monster trucks.

Actually, you weren't presenting a solution. Rather you trying to insult anyone who would dare to vote no, and labeling them as ineloquent alcoholics that would only go to the DIA if it had hockey, beer, and monster trucks.
    No, sir, no. I'm just thinking of ways to add to the cultural experience so Macomb County residents feel they're getting their money's worth. Nothing wrong with that. I agree that Macomb County residents may be "special needs" guests at the museum, and may benefit from "nontraditional" cultural programming. That's not offensive, that's solid marketing.

No, sir, no. I'm just thinking of ways to add to the cultural experience so Macomb County residents feel they're getting their money's worth. Nothing wrong with that. I agree that Macomb County residents may be "special needs" guests at the museum, and may benefit from "nontraditional" cultural programming. That's not offensive, that's solid marketing.
    Ah, yes, now you're adding "special needs" to say that Macomb County residents are mentally handicapped.

Well, you were successful, because we're off on this tangent instead of discussing the actual topic at hand.

How many Macomb County communities are in as bad of shape as Detroit? Does that make Detroit residents sub-special needs?

Another huge issue that makes this different than subsidizing roads or public education is that the DIA is located very far away from some of the people being forced to pay for it.
    I can count on one hand how many times I've been to Macomb County, but I wonder how many of my tax dollars went to subsidize Hall Road or Groesbeck Hwy or Gratiot or M-53 or I-696 or I-94 or Metro Beach or Wolcott Mill Metro Park or Stony Creek Metro Park or Selfridge AFB or the GM Tech Center or TACOM or ...

We all live in this region and we all should help pay the public costs of this region. I'll stop bitching about paying for Hall Road, if you stop bitching about paying for the DIA...

I think the DIA is very important, but I don't think a tri-county millage is the way to fund. It would make more sense to fund it via admission fees and donations.
    Yeah, the whole point of the millage is to focus on building up the endowment over the next ten years so they can essentially operate off the interest from the endowment. Right now the endowment sits at about $100 million. Hopefully it will be closer to $500 million by the time this millage expires. By then, the museum won't need the help of Macomb County residents to pay for annual operations.

Ah, yes, now you're adding "special needs" to say that Macomb County residents are mentally handicapped.
    There are other "special needs" than being mentally handicapped. Like Macomb County residents might feel more "buy in" if they felt they were being culturally represented. That's not insulting; that's sensitivity! How about a special exhibit at the museum called "The Art of Darren McCarty," with a special performance by Kid Rock? Or a special exhibit on detailing and pinstriping with actual NASCAR vehicles in the museum, and Hooters girls serving drinks? I think it could be a celebration of Macomb County culture that would really win over the people who work, play and live in Macomb County.

Well, you were successful, because we're off on this tangent instead of discussing the actual topic at hand.
    Nonsense. We're just getting started on the constructive part of the conversation: What it will take to help Macomb County treasure the art museum as the rest of us do?

Thank you Wayne, Oakland and Macomb County residents for saving the DIA from closing.Your millage dollars will let younger and senior artists see 10,000 years of humanities for years to come.
    Last edited by Danny; August-08-12 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    Yeah, the whole point of the millage is to focus on building up the endowment over the next ten years so they can essentially operate off the interest from the endowment. Right now the endowment sits at about $100 million. Hopefully it will be closer to $500 million by the time this millage expires. By then, the museum won't need the help of Macomb County residents to pay for annual operations.
    If that were the plan, I would give more consideration to a "yes" vote. However, in all the literature that the DIA itself sent to me this was not in any of it. The literature was a full-size letter. It didn't contain too many words [[so not to confuse us Macomb County residents) and pretty much can be simplified down to this:

No = We close
    Yes = "Free" for everyone, yay!!

I would be absolutely shocked if 10 years from now the DIA says, "Hey folks. Thanks for all the money, we don't need to renew the millage. Free art for everyone forever!"

Nowhere in their literature did it mention anything about any plan to only need it for ten years. In fact, the literature didn't even mention how long the tax millage was for or how much it was.

Kind of like the ballot language, which mentions nothing about the DIA.

Nonsense. We're just getting started on the constructive part of the conversation: What it will take to help Macomb County treasure the art museum as the rest of us do?
    Nope, you're just trying to be insulting. Like I said earlier, just because someone is against the millage doesn't mean that they don't go to the DIA or appreciate the art within.

On your side-note, Vladimir Konstantinov is an artist in the aftermath of his horrific car accident. He's part of that special needs group you like to poke fun at.

Nope, you're just trying to be insulting. Like I said earlier, just because someone is against the millage doesn't mean that they don't go to the DIA or appreciate the art within.
    No, good sir, I want to find ways to be sensitive to the needs of Macomb County residents!

On your side-note, Vladimir Konstantinov is an artist in the aftermath of his horrific car accident. He's part of that special needs group you like to poke fun at.
    I'm not making fun of "special needs" people. And you'll notice I'm not making fun of Macomb County residents' tastes. I'm trying to figure out how we can take things Macombers love and cherish, such as seven-lane intersections, big-box stores, Kid Rock, NASCAR, hockey, chicken, mass-produced beer and Hooters, and take those things and put them on cultural display in an effort to attract Macomb County residents alienated by any perceived "elitism" on the part of the DIA. Is that so bad?

Given the perception of Detroit around the world, you'd think a resident would be sensitive to these types of comments directed towards a neighboring county. Then again, sarcasm is the last refuge of the weak mind.

DIA has special thank-you for voters: A rare Vermeer debuts today
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012080...sey=nav%7Chead

"Starting today, residents of the tri-county area can visit the museum for free with a driver's license, state identification card or other I.D. showing residency, Marcil said. The Vermeer, done in 1664, is on loan from the National Gallery of Art in Washington through Sept. 2."

More info in the article....

I'm not making fun of "special needs" people. And you'll notice I'm not making fun of Macomb County residents' tastes. I'm trying to figure out how we can take things Macombers love and cherish, such as seven-lane intersections, big-box stores, Kid Rock, NASCAR, hockey, chicken, mass-produced beer and Hooters, and take those things and put them on cultural display in an effort to attract Macomb County residents alienated by any perceived "elitism" on the part of the DIA. Is that so bad?
    Yes, you were poking fun at "special needs" people in order to insult those who are opposed to the DIA millage.

I'm not opposed to the DIA millage because of the contents of the DIA, but rather because it should be funded through admission fees and donations.

Secondary objections would be the misrepresentation of the facts surrounding the DIA's financial status, the amounts that the executives of this "non-profit" are making, and also that the current admission price is very low and could be raised to increase revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Given the perception of Detroit around the world, you'd think a resident would be sensitive to these types of comments directed towards a neighboring county. Then again, sarcasm is the last refuge of the weak mind.
    What? You don't like NASCAR? You don't listen to Kid Rock? You don't love driving on Hall Road?

I feel sorry for you. [[SMH)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast