Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    This is what the Olympics give you:

1. Short-term awesomeness and recognition
    2. Long-term sporting facilities that were built special just for hosting the Olympics that go unused and shuttered for decades
    Atlanta and Los Angeles still use their facilities. According to Detroit's bid, most facilities were already in place like Olympia and Cobo Hall. The Lions would've moved into the new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    This is what the Olympics give you:

1. Short-term awesomeness and recognition
    2. Long-term sporting facilities that were built special just for hosting the Olympics that go unused and shuttered for decades

I still say Dream the Impossible Dream....

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    If you want additions to the list of snubbed cities perhaps Shollin can oblige with "a few" and firstandten will give us some Mexican Cities that might qualify.
    Since you're bringing this up in this thread, first it was said Detroit had more murders than soldiers killed in Afghanistan. I said there are a few cities that have had more like Chicago, Los Angeles, New York. You then replied about cities that have lost 200,000. Which was not specified in the quote. I provided you then with Chicago. You then changed it to cities that had lost 25% of their population. In each post you changed the premise, and now you're calling me out in unrelated threads. Good work.

Detroit hosting the Olympics would be terribly stupid. Host cities must spend billions to prepare their cities and they never recoup that money. An expense of billions for a week or so of recognition is totally not worth it. Many cities that would be competitive to host the Olympic games have actually dodged the opportunity due to the cost. I sincerely hope Detroit doesn't bid to host the Olympics anytime soon. It's a sucker's bet.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Detroit hosting the Olympics would be terribly stupid. Host cities must spend billions to prepare their cities and they never recoup that money. An expense of billions for a week or so of recognition is totally not worth it. Many cities that would be competitive to host the Olympic games have actually dodged the opportunity due to the cost. I sincerely hope Detroit doesn't bid to host the Olympics anytime soon. It's a sucker's bet.
    I don't think you need worry. We would need a millage from the Suburbs just to quote.
    Last edited by coracle; August-01-12 at 07:17 AM.

OTOH, a lot of that spending goes into infrastructure projects that will be incredibly useful for the city years after the games have come and gone. I was in London last November and got to ride the London Overground from the Olympic stadium back into central London. It's a great upgrade to the London Underground, but it would have never been built had London not gotten the Olympics. Personally, I think that being granted the Olympics is the quickest [[perhaps only?) way to get Detroit some type of rail transit system.

Shollin Guest

Not true. Atlanta and Los Angeles profited off the games. Atlanta's centennial park has become a tourist attraction and has spurred millions of development around the park. It's like Campus Martius except more development. I'm not sure these cities you say that are not bidding. Los Angeles has hosted twice and tried bidding for a third Olympics in 2016. New York, Toronto, Paris, Madrid etc have all made bids in the last 10 years. Just because Montreal screwed it up by building an expensive stadium that never got completed and never worked as intended, doesn't mean the games can't be profitable. Only Los Angeles bid in 84 because of the Montreal debacle and they were very successful and cities started bidding again.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Detroit had the 1968 Olympics on lock until the riots.
    No! Detroit lost the IOC Olympic bid because they didn't have enough regional dollars to support provenders for all of its athletes. Mexico City, Mexico had their regional and governement dollars pouring in to provide food, security and venues for the athletes. Mexico City won the bid.

Default Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    My post on yahoo :
    What rock do most of you posters live under ? Detroit is by no means the greatest city , but Detroit has a proud history. Detroit and the auto industry, help build the cushy middle class life most of you enjoy. Detroit also was the Arsenal_of_Democracy, helping the U.S. in a BIG WAY during WWII.
    Without Detroit and the drive of the auto industry , we most likely wouldn't need all those freeways that YOU ALL drive on and all the "safe suburbs "I'm sure MOST of the posters live in a nice safe suburb in a nice safe cul de sac and judging from the safety of your keyboard
    It's easy to judge a city that most of you have NEVER been to.
    Awarding the Olympics to cities that are already "world class cities" is a no brainer .Most of the cities that are awarded the games don't need the Olympics . They are already capital cities .
    Why not give a city that is struggling to come back a chance ?
    And for all the folks that "live 20 mins north of Detroit" your suburbs aren't all that great . I've been to most of them, it's just a bunch of midwest , typical American , blue collar folks .
    It's easy to "pile on" Detroit as step child of the US.
    But most Europeans that visit the US think most of this country [[US) is violent,outside of NYC most American cities aren't all that great . Most people can't name 10 American cities of any measurable size that isn't violent and could host the games .
    I'm not sugar coating it , Detroit has a LOT of problems ,but with the right attention , and American know how Detroit could be an example.
    Sure Detroit is a rough place , but everyone loves a comeback kid !
    Great observations! Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    Great observations! Well said!
    Thanks Davyarm: It just pissed me off that so many people that replied on yahoo were so negative .I'm sure many have never been to Detroit, don't know anything about Detroit but what they "hear" about or see or read in the news and have never tired to see what's really going on here?
    I mean this still is an American City, and deserves better than that , were not all criminals, some people here are trying to make a difference and they see the potential of the city !
    There's a lot that needs to be address and slowly , despite what's going on at city hall, is getting better .
    Like I've said earlier on this site , I do get frustrated living here sometimes, but, I do see the hard work that people living here have been doing and have noticed all the new people moving in and what they have been doing and I'm optimistic and my hat goes off to all the people that believe in Detroit !
    Speramus Meliora and Resurget Cineribus, meaning "We hope for better things" and "It will rise from the ashes," Quote taken from the Flag of the City of Detroit
    Last edited by Detroitdave; August-03-12 at 08:01 AM. Reason: edit

Can somebody please tell me why a city would want to put on the Olympics? Yes, there is obviously the prestige and glory associated with it, as well as forever being known in the history books for it. But the financial burden to prepare and put on this event seems completely overwhelming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't London gonna cost $14 billion to host? Plus all of the "potential uses" for the sites after the games have left almost never materialize, and all your left with are hulking, rotting structures [[Greece, Beijing) and empty fields where the events took place. It seems to me that putting the event on isn't really worth it, but I'm curious to know what others think about this.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Can somebody please tell me why a city would want to put on the Olympics? Yes, there is obviously the prestige and glory associated with it, as well as forever being known in the history books for it. But the financial burden to prepare and put on this event seems completely overwhelming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't London gonna cost $14 billion to host? Plus all of the "potential uses" for the sites after the games have left almost never materialize, and all your left with are hulking, rotting structures [[Greece, Beijing) and empty fields where the events took place. It seems to me that putting the event on isn't really worth it, but I'm curious to know what others think about this.
    I've mentioned it several times, but the US cities have done it right. Atlanta is still using all their Olympic venues, as well as Los Angeles. Besides, London built a temporary stadium.

London already had fabulous transport; underground; several surface Railway Terminals; 1000's of buses; 100's of shopping districts; more than sufficient top class Hotels and Restaurants all over; low crime; two major World Airports connected to the downtown with rail, U'ground and buses. It's a city designed for living, working and entertainment for everybody. People don't leave London they try to get in. It's a natural venue for the Olympics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2