Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Regardless of the circumstances [[and we will probably never know the whole story), my heart goes out to their families. I cannot imagine this happening to my 18 yr old grandson. I don't think he does any drugs or smokes pot, but he will be going to Wayne State in the fall and I am concerned about the carjackings and such. If anything happens to him, my heart will be broken forever.

Don't be concerned. Hundreds of thousands of us have spent the best years of our lives at Wayne and never run into any trouble. Wayne is a great school, safer than it really ever has been, and the urban environs most certainly enhance and make for a unique college experience.

Also driving around Detroit generally doesn't get you killed. In particular all the GPers I know generally take the surface streets to work downtown [[and have for decades) and I don't know of any instance of problems.

I cannot imagine this happening to my 18 yr old grandson. I don't think he does any drugs or smokes pot, but he will be going to Wayne State in the fall and I am concerned about the carjackings and such. If anything happens to him, my heart will be broken forever.
    Wayne State is actually a very, very safe area. Probably one of the safest in the city in terms of violent crime. I attended law school there as a student in the evening program. I never once felt unsafe or uncomfortable walking back to my car at night, whether I was coming from the school or one of the bars afterward. In fact, the campus can be a very pleasant place to take a stroll. In terms of geographic distance, people in Grosse Pointe are probably a lot closer to the areas of Detroit where things like car jackings occur than anyone on the WSU campus.
    Last edited by artds; July-27-12 at 02:20 PM.

^^ That all may be true, but opportunity never takes a day off. Gotta watch your back, wherever you are, burbs included.

I cannot imagine this happening to my 18 yr old grandson.

but he will be going to Wayne State in the fall and I am concerned about the carjackings and such.

Then you should not only imagine it, but you should prepare yourself for it.

That's for certain - even though the percentage is less in different areas you must always be vigilant!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^ That all may be true, but opportunity never takes a day off. Gotta watch your back, wherever you are, burbs included.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Then you should not only imagine it, but you should prepare yourself for it.
    I think some people romanticize living in a place where they or their kids never have to put their guard up. I don't care if its Detroit or Deerfield, people have to take responsibility for protecting themselves.

Us grown folks need to school kids on awareness of their environment, force them to pull their faces out of their phones. How to defend themselves, how to gauge direction, where safe places are, where the hell they're at! Cuz telling them to "stay out of Detroit" just isn't going to cut it.

If we don't then we're just feeding them to the wolves.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; July-27-12 at 11:22 PM.

As much as I rather not get robbed I can always get more stuff. I find myself going to town less and less. I suspect nowadays and more than before those intent on taking your things in the city rather shoot you than deal with you and let you live. Moral/social fabric degeneration? must think they have nothing to lose? Zero respect for life? Think they will get away with it and or dont care if they get caught? figure they are going to prison eventually anyway? Some or all of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    No, but they may demonize you for being more concerned with image than life at a time like this, and rightfully so.
    I do think what happened to the boys is unfortunate.

How dare anyone demonize the good citizens of Detroit!!! These lads were simply skydiving. Their chutes malfunctioned and they happened to land near City Airport. How could anyone dare to imagine drugs or robbery have any role in this? Not in my Detroit..........

well, once the second amendment is erased from the constitution we will no longer be subject to these horrors.....

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I will invite anyone to take a google stroll through that portion of the city where they found the bodies. Not very nice at all, and if those boys were still alive when they were taken to that area, they must have known what was about to happen.

There is strong evidence in the two articles which suggests that these two were not engaging in shady transactions with strangers. In fact, it appears at first glance that they were just "passing through" Detroit. Rolling the dice, if you will. They must have stopped somewhere I would assume. Even a red light is enough time to get jacked.

Great to see the thugs in Detroit holding up their end of the bargain. Shoot first, then steal peoples shit. Chalk up another two.
    I'm not so sure about that. Two young guys in a car, not what I would call great candiates for a car jacking.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I do think what happened to the boys is unfortunate.
    Fucking "unfortunate"!!!? You could not be more condescending. Two beautiful young men visiting their uncle on a Sunday in Detroit are robbed and shot in the head by murdering arsehole[[s); and you think it's "unfortunate"!!!?
    Last edited by coracle; July-27-12 at 06:24 PM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I will invite anyone to take a google stroll through that portion of the city where they found the bodies. Not very nice at all, and if those boys were still alive when they were taken to that area, they must have known what was about to happen.

There is strong evidence in the two articles which suggests that these two were not engaging in shady transactions with strangers. In fact, it appears at first glance that they were just "passing through" Detroit. Rolling the dice, if you will. They must have stopped somewhere I would assume. Even a red light is enough time to get jacked.

Great to see the thugs in Detroit holding up their end of the bargain. Shoot first, then steal peoples shit. Chalk up another two.
    I took a Google stroll through there and my little orange guy was shot and robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I took a Google stroll through there and my little orange guy was shot and robbed.
    Hahaha. Oh shit. That's awful. But I can't stop laughing!

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Two beautiful young men visiting their uncle on a Sunday in Detroit are robbed and shot in the head ...
    Visiting their Uncle? Or doing a drug deal? Or maybe some of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Visiting their Uncle? Or doing a drug deal? Or maybe some of both.
    Yes.

I visit family all the time in Detroit and I've never been shot in the back of my head.

Anyone who thinks these were just two perfectly innocent white boys from a safe suburban bedroom community simply paying a visit to their relative in the big bad mean city needs a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yes.

I visit family all the time in Detroit and I've never been shot in the back of my head.

Anyone who thinks these were just two perfectly innocent white boys from a safe suburban bedroom community simply paying a visit to their relative in the big bad mean city needs a reality check.

hmmmm...... they probably had some skittles in the car..... probably neighborhood watch didn't recognize them..........

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I think some people romanticize living in a place where they or their kids never have to put their guard up. I don't care if its Detroit or Deerfield, people have to take responsibility for protecting themselves.

Us grown folks need to school kids on awareness of their environment, force them to pull their faces out of their phones. How to defend themselves, how to gauge direction, where safe places are, where the hell they're at! Cuz telling them to "stay out of Detroit" just isn't going to cut it.

If we don't than we're just feeding them to the wolves.
    Spot on. When I was a kid [[10 or so) my grandfather showed me around the city for the first time. Around that time my uncle would do the same with my cousin and I. I had been to Tiger Stadium, The DIA, Science Center, and Cobo as a small child but never really experienced the city. They made sure we understood the general lay of the land as well as the geography. It's knowledge which has proved to be indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    hmmmm...... they probably had some skittles in the car..... probably neighborhood watch didn't recognize them..........
    Goose, you're a dick. You want to imply that since these boys might have been in town to pick up some weed that makes them fair game for some murdering low-life dirtbags?
    Maybe if sections of the city put up signs officially warning visitors that they are fair game for predators like this you can say "told you so", but if you do, you best watch your own back.

Regardless of the circumstances [[and we will probably never know the whole story), my heart goes out to their families. I cannot imagine this happening to my 18 yr old grandson. I don't think he does any drugs or smokes pot, but he will be going to Wayne State in the fall and I am concerned about the carjackings and such. If anything happens to him, my heart will be broken forever.

God's grace be on the souls of those two boys and may God give their families the strength to get through this.
    Your concerns about carjackings at Wayne State are understandable, though they may be misdirected. The only thing in common between the location of this crime and your grandson's academic pursuits is the name of the city. The demographics, the police response times with Wayne's dedicated police force, they are all totally different...they might as well be two completely different cities.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be concerned [[or that he shouldn't learn to be prepared). But the likelihood of a carjacking is pretty remote. It's not impossible, but carjackings aren't regular occurrences on or near campus. If there were even 3 a year in the Midtown area, I'd be surprised. [[Though, I'm open to being corrected if someone has firmer data)

As far as your son's marijuana smoking habits, I'm pretty confident that even if he doesn't smoke himself, I'm 100% certain that he has friends/acquaintances who do. My buddy is a top med student there and people smoke marijuana recreationally even there.

Attitudes about marijuana smoking in our generation is much different from 30-60 years ago. Very few people would say that it's a good thing, much like they would about alcohol abuse. But we've pretty much determined that to say that marijuana use automatically destines you for a life of poverty and struggle is a pretty big stretch.

Teaching your grandson to be street smart would be a far useful place to direct your anxieties about violent crime. The types of stories I read about crime near 8 mile and Gratiot or near City Airport are about a foreign to me as it is to you, even though I live within the same city limits as those location.

Same city, very different experiences, from my POV.

God's grace be on the souls of those two boys and may God give their families the strength to get through this.
    The location where the bodies was found is closer to Warren [[3 miles) than it is the Wayne State's campus [[4.5 miles)

In my opinion you are just as safe on WSU's campus as you are in any inner ring suburb.

Don't lump Wayne's campus with the rest of Detroit, they actually have a fully staffed, functional and quick responding poloce force that is completely seperate from DPD.
    Last edited by wardwood; July-28-12 at 08:24 PM.

Why do these boys matter more than the shooting victims who went mostly ignored from the other 364 days of the year?

These two boys matter very much to their family and friends. It's not that unusual anymore to have two people murdered, execution style, in Detroit. There was compassion and anger about the two young women kidnapped, murdered, burned beyond recognition in a car a few months ago, and lots of press. Two people from Allen Park were found last week in the Detroit River in Detroit. They ALL matter and I don't think any of them have been ignored.

It's just overwhelming to me. The people who commit these murders do not revere life any longer. They have no fear of getting caught, and don't think about the consequences of their dirty deed. If they get caught, they usually live better inside jail than they are living outside jail.

"In my opinion you are just as safe on WSU's campus as you are in any inner ring suburb.

Don't lump Wayne's campus with the rest of Detroit, they actually have a fully staffed, functional and quick responding poloce force that is completely seperate from DPD."

It's very true that the WSU campus is safer than the rest of the City. However, he will not be in the "bubble" of the campus all the time. His family lives in various suburbs and he will have to cross through the "bad" areas of the city to get to them.

Just so you realize, I am not sitting here worrying all the time about it. It just crosses my mind when things like this happen. I also realize that crime is everywhere, not just in the City. It just appears as though the criminals feel as though they have all the control because of the lack of police presence now.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    well, once the second amendment is erased from the constitution we will no longer be subject to these horrors.....
    "The right to bear arms and states of set militia groups will never be abolished becuase our nation needs to defend itself from its enemies just in case our armed forces have been defeated. So right now as we Americans continue to live in constant fear. People will take up arms to protect themselves."

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

I have a gun and its name is peace!

For Neda, Trayvon Martin, Rodney King, George Stinney, Guy Fawkes and 99% Occupy Movements.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast