Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I liked Blakneys, My folks said they reminded them of Marcus Burger.

I went to the original marcus today around 3pm, had 2 burgers with cheese and fries.
    They were ok, but had no real flavor, and not juicy at all.
    I only finished one and a half .
    Somebody must like them because a guy came in and ordered 15 to go.
    They are open until 4pm monday-saturday and until 2pm sundays.

We have Krystals here in Atlanta.... not bad, but not White Castles. We can get White Castles in the freezer section [[not the same).
    Loved Janet's Lunch....... I heard its not the same anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    For a truly great burger, try the Sidetrack in Ypsilanti's depot town. Rated in Esquire magazines top 20 in the USA. Its inside an old historic building.
    That's a totally different kind of burger: a big deluxe bar burger, as opposed to the diner-type burger found at Marcus or Miller's Bar in Dearborn.

Then there are the sliders... a whole different story there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingellgirl View Post
    Marcus Hamburgers: still as good as the first one. My dad [[Hamtramck High Class of '45) can vouch for that. We tried the Marcus Grill in Shelby Township on Sunday and both Mom and Dad had the burgers. They went back yesterday for more. That says a lot.
    That's great to hear! This entire thread caught my attention after looking at the video blog on the Detroit news about Marcus.

I remember watching my grandfather and my dad making the burgers when I was a kid at the original Marcus, then at 14 mile, and now at the Marcus Grill in Shelby. Its been in my family for 3 generations and I am proud to be apart of such a legacy.

For Oneshot, who commented on the price of the Marcus Burger with cheese at the Shelby location. Starting August 1st we are running an "80th anniversary promotion" and dropping the price down considerably.

If any of you are interested I could post a coupon or two in this thread for the Marcus Grill in Shelby.

-- steve@marcusgrill.com

I always loved Marcus burgers. Brays are great, but my absolute all time Detroit burger favorite was Betsy Ross on 7 Mile just a bit E of Woodward. I heard they closed that one but have one out in the Madison Heights area now. Next time I'm up there I plan on looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda from Detroit View Post
    I always loved Marcus burgers. Brays are great, but my absolute all time Detroit burger favorite was Betsy Ross on 7 Mile just a bit E of Woodward. I heard they closed that one but have one out in the Madison Heights area now. Next time I'm up there I plan on looking for it.
    It's BETTY Ross II on John R just south of 12 Mile in Madison Heights. Never tried their burgers, but they make fabulous breakfasts. Great corned beef hash and biscuits and gravy.

Default Burgers

I remember Checkers Bar in the downtown area of Detroit had great burgers. Are they still around and if so are the burgers still good?

I had Checker's a couple weeks ago for the first time and it was very good. I like the Detroiter for the sheer decadence of a 1/2 lb burger with bacon, ham and two types of cheese. It's a great deal especially if you eat half and take half home [[put a fried egg on it for breakfast the next day). I just had Red Coat for the first time too and that was also a winner, up there with Miller's and Checkers.

As a kid I used to love Daly's burgers Used to love taking a bike ride down the hill [[the Warren Ave and Outer Drive location) to get a burger and a shake after some baseball. Just 20 years ago kids still played and organized their own baseball games.

For fast food, I've rekindled my love affair with White Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by panovski View Post
    That's great to hear! This entire thread caught my attention after looking at the video blog on the Detroit news about Marcus.

I remember watching my grandfather and my dad making the burgers when I was a kid at the original Marcus, then at 14 mile, and now at the Marcus Grill in Shelby. Its been in my family for 3 generations and I am proud to be apart of such a legacy.

For Oneshot, who commented on the price of the Marcus Burger with cheese at the Shelby location. Starting August 1st we are running an "80th anniversary promotion" and dropping the price down considerably.

If any of you are interested I could post a coupon or two in this thread for the Marcus Grill in Shelby.

-- steve@marcusgrill.com
    Thanks, Steve. I've eaten at your Van Dyke restaurant, and it is very good. I'll have to stop in during your promo and try your burgers. Coupons are always welcome, too.

Jcole --

Thanks for the comments. Suggestions on the menu are always welcome. The Shelby Twp location is still very new [[only been open a few months) and the more feedback I get the better we can serve the area. Customers were telling us to run a special on the burger and starting the 1st of August we are.

I've attached the advance coupon exclusively for this forum. Let me know how everyone likes the burger. I had two Marcus Burgers for dinner last night with pickles and chipolte ranch and it was awesome as always!

--steve@marcusgrill.com

Quote Originally Posted by panovski View Post
    Jcole --

Thanks for the comments. Suggestions on the menu are always welcome. The Shelby Twp location is still very new [[only been open a few months) and the more feedback I get the better we can serve the area. Customers were telling us to run a special on the burger and starting the 1st of August we are.

I've attached the advance coupon exclusively for this forum. Let me know how everyone likes the burger. I had two Marcus Burgers for dinner last night with pickles and chipolte ranch and it was awesome as always!

--steve@marcusgrill.com
    Two odd questions, since we're always looking to support local businesses:

1) What kind of car do you drive?

2) Do you allow sick employees to serve food?

Your right those are really odd questions.

[[1)
    I have a Jetta [[Diesel) as my personal car and a Ford Explorer for the restaurant.

[[2)
    Sick employees don't have a problem calling in when they are ill.We have 54 employees so they can easily switch shifts with other servers. If I suspect that someone is sick and working I just send them home instead of putting them on light duty.

What would have been your answer to these questions?

Thanks, Steve, you'll definitely be seeing me again soon.

Default Geneva Hamburgers

FlyByDon Stands corrected.
    Geneva Hamburgers is closed.
    I've meet and made many friends there.

As mentioned on the old forum, when I worked on Davison near Sherwood, my old boss would send me to Marcus to pick up sacks of burgers for our hard working warehouse guys every now and again. I still remember walking into the place and it would be packed with hungry diners. We really enjoyed those burgers.

Next time we're over that way, we're stopping in for sure. I wanna see if they taste the same as back in the 60s and 70s!

Thanks for the picture of Geneva's!

What's that next to it - looks like a club of some sort - "entertainment?" - last I remember [[8+ years ago) there was a barbershop there....?

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    I had Checker's a couple weeks ago for the first time and it was very good. I like the Detroiter for the sheer decadence of a 1/2 lb burger with bacon, ham and two types of cheese. It's a great deal especially if you eat half and take half home [[put a fried egg on it for breakfast the next day). I just had Red Coat for the first time too and that was also a winner, up there with Miller's and Checkers.

As a kid I used to love Daly's burgers Used to love taking a bike ride down the hill [[the Warren Ave and Outer Drive location) to get a burger and a shake after some baseball. Just 20 years ago kids still played and organized their own baseball games.

For fast food, I've rekindled my love affair with White Castle.
    There was a Daly's at Outer Drive and Warren? Near the Jefferson Library? Really? How long ago was that? I don't remember one being there. I did love Daly's on Harper next to the above Geneva's.

And which "hill" are you talking about? The Balduck Park sledding hill? I don't remember Warren OR Outer Drive being very hilly.

Enduro's talking about West Warren and Outer Drive in Dearborn Heights.
    Here's a link to the Daly site with all the locations.
    http://www.dalyrestaurants.com/history.asp#history

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Enduro's talking about West Warren and Outer Drive in Dearborn Heights.
    Here's a link to the Daly site with all the locations.
    http://www.dalyrestaurants.com/history.asp#history
    Well you know you are dealing with a true East Sider when the possibility of a "West" Outer Drive doesn't even enter my mind!!!!

Of course. And I assume there was a hill around there somewhere.

Thanks for that link. Looks like the Plymouth Road location is the only one still left standing! I'm actually almost tempted to order some of that Daly Sauce. But without Daly Buns and the rest of the fixings it still just wouldn't be the same. The picture of the burger did bring back memories.

I just saw on Channel 4 that Marcus Hamburgers on E McNichols Rd. was smashed by a vehicle. The restaurant has been there since 1929.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/detroit-gem...rough-building
    Last edited by rjlj; November-20-15 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KENSINGTONY View Post
    I know this stretches the definition of Metro Detroit but a stop at the Halo Burger at Birch Run is must when I'm up that way.I wish they'd open some down here so I didn't have to drive so far for my burger fix.
    According to the Halo Burger website, there is a store at Grand River and Beck in Novi. I know I had seen one on Big Beaver in Troy, which is why I looked them up in the first place, but it must have closed.

pgn421; I know there was a Ron Jones who worked at #15 in the late 60's, might have retired to Las Vegas.
    When I worked on the Grand Trunk Western, sometimes we would leave the engine and caboose on the DTRR tracks and stop at Marcus for lunch. We would enjoy our meal and head back to Ferndale via the DTRR yard on Davison. The burgers were great.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    According to the Halo Burger website, there is a store at Grand River and Beck in Novi. I know I had seen one on Big Beaver in Troy, which is why I looked them up in the first place, but it must have closed.
    Halo's closed, replaced by a mid eastern place. I'm surprised they didn't do well there.

There is no place like the original on 6 mile. I grew up near there and spend many afternoon's there with my Grandpa and Dad after cutting the lawn.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast