ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

I know, an old one.... but.

Attachment 18583

I love that one.
    Today is 3.14, so happy Pi Day!

National Pi Day at Wayne State University

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I miss my Kenner SSPs. I had a Black Jack, Two Much, Black Widow, Laker Special, Rail Bird, King Cobra, Deuces Wild, Ram Jet and a few Smash Up Derby cars.Absolutely THE best car toys of all time. I’ve seen toys coming out now with the t-pull power strips. Wish these would come back!
    Have you seen the ones that have just a wheel with the power strip? I said to my kid when I saw the commercial that it was just a wheel of an SSP. Well then, I had to explain to him what an SSP was. Man, I loved playing with SSPs with my brothers way back when.

This sure has been a busy news week. Kwame verdict, Pope election, EM announcement, it's been wild for a news junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    This sure has been a busy news week. Kwame verdict, Pope election, EM announcement, it's been wild for a news junkie.
    Don't forget Charlie peeing in the street!

If the words, "baby" and "yeah" were stricken from the English language, half of today's music would have no lyrics.

Have you seen the ones that have just a wheel with the power strip? I said to my kid when I saw the commercial that it was just a wheel of an SSP. Well then, I had to explain to him what an SSP was. Man, I loved playing with SSPs with my brothers way back when.
    I actually found my black jack in a box my dad gave me, with the T-strip

Sex education should be taught better in schools, so there are fewer pregnancies. It should be taught like it was in the olden days...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKqjDbrQplM

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    If the words, "baby" and "yeah" were stricken from the English language, half of today's music would have no lyrics.
    Yeah baby!

Or the tiresome part bleating, part bellowing phrase "Oh, ohhh, oh! Wooah, woahhhhh" by so many no-talent young female singers. Ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Insipid lyrics have been part of pop music since they started putting grooves in wax.

what would really cut down on the number of "artists" out there is if you really heard their singing without autotune.

Heard Bieber singing without it once. he couldn't stay on key if his life depended on it. you have an American Idol judge telling people they won't get anywhere without autotune, whose own work is very heavily treated. it's a joke

Great points. It all sounds the same too.... I try to avoid it, except at the Dollar Store where it must be endured over their sound system as the new form of 'mus-zak'!
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-17-13 at 09:47 AM.

Definition of Auto-Tune [[autotune) used so much in music now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

In part: Auto-Tune is an audio processor created by Antares Audio Technologies, which uses a proprietary device to measure and alter pitch in vocal and instrumental music recording and performances through use of a phase vocoder.[2][not in citation given] It was originally intended to disguise or correct off-key inaccuracies, allowing vocal tracks to be perfectly tuned despite originally being slightly off-key.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=autotune

Pitch correction software specifically for vocals that makes up for a lack of natural singing talent. 90% or more of all "professional" recordings use this software.

An extreme example is that horrific Cher song from a few years back, and the Kid Rock song where is voice is all fucked up. Used in moderation it can hardly be heard except by a trained ear.

Remember before autotune, when singers could actually sing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Definition of Auto-Tune [[autotune) used so much in music now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

In part: Auto-Tune is an audio processor created by Antares Audio Technologies, which uses a proprietary device to measure and alter pitch in vocal and instrumental music recording and performances through use of a phase vocoder.[2][not in citation given] It was originally intended to disguise or correct off-key inaccuracies, allowing vocal tracks to be perfectly tuned despite originally being slightly off-key.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=autotune

Pitch correction software specifically for vocals that makes up for a lack of natural singing talent. 90% or more of all "professional" recordings use this software.

An extreme example is that horrific Cher song from a few years back, and the Kid Rock song where is voice is all fucked up. Used in moderation it can hardly be heard except by a trained ear.

Remember before autotune, when singers could actually sing?
    I have mixed emotions about your post. On the one hand I think this really sucks. On the other, maybe there's hope for me yet?

Well I am certain there are cases where this digitizing of sound is an asset in music. But it's now often overused to supplant a voice that is not there [[as in no talent).

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I have mixed emotions about your post. On the one hand I think this really sucks. On the other, maybe there's hope for me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well I am certain there are cases where this digitizing of sound is an asset in music. But it's now often overused to supplant a voice that is not there [[as in no talent).
    Well, when you have people becoming music stars by winning, what is essentially, a game show, what do you expect? I refuse to listen to any of the winners or runners up from these shows. I'm not that entertainment starved.

^^^ I hear you! With the options to customize what you want to stream and listen to now you can almost avoid having to hear that stuff except at certain malls or from someone's car cranking it. LOL!

Well, when you have people becoming music stars by winning, what is essentially, a game show, what do you expect? I refuse to listen to any of the winners or runners up from these shows. I'm not that entertainment starved.
    Wow, you are shutting down a lot of good talent. A good example is Kelly Clarkson -- she has a stunning voice.

The contestants on these shows by and large are the "real" singers who don't get the benefit of auto-tune, and their talent or lack of becomes very apparent very quickly.

The winners generally have far greater talent than those who benefit greatly from auto-tune -- people such as Katy Perry, Rhianna, Kid Rock, etc.
    Last edited by Downtown Lady; March-19-13 at 03:14 PM.

I have no love for Kid Rock, but I don't hear much autotune there

Wiley Miller produced another winner today:

Non Sequitur - Anthropomorphic Theater

If I see that HORRID discover ohio ad one more time, i'm gonna puke

forgiveness doesn't change the past, it changes the future.

so you are saying I should forgive Ohio for that commercial???

No, but it might help you be less judgemental and close-minded.

Decades ago, a Wisteria vine [[technically "bine") clandestinely crawled from its trellis onto one of our Maples.

No one noticed.

Over the years it gradually grew to cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the top of the Maple. The trellis decayed long ago.

Today the Wisteria blooms into a startlingly thick blanket of deep purple blossoms each year. This year it's beginning to bloom into what appears will be a record-breaking splash of color. Here's a photo of it taken on May 26, 2011:
    I believe it's a Japanese Wisteria because of its unusually long racemes [[flower clusters).

Some more Wisteria images from Google

Their enormous bean pods have a spiral twist that changes depending on humidity and so can be used as natural hygrometers.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-19-13 at 10:30 PM.

Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast