Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

10 commandments are copied from Hittite Lord/Vassal contracts. they are nearly identical in form and purpose, but the hittite predates by centuries

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    10 commandments are copied from Hittite Lord/Vassal contracts. they are nearly identical in form and purpose, but the hittite predates by centuries
    I wouldn't say "copied". And I wouldn't use just the 10 commandments in the comparison.

The 10 commandments are like a "summary" of the Law given by Moses. The entire book of Deuteronomy is a more accurate comparison to the Hittite Suzerain [[sp?) Vassal treaties. And not to any specific treaty [[therefore it was not really "copied"). Rather, the treaties all followed the same format. Deuteronomy follows that format, as you say, almost identically.

This is not very surprising considering that the format was apparently also used in Egypt for treaties with foreign laborers [[which is probably what the Hebrews were considered, although we call it slavery.) Moses did well to bring the Law in a format that the Hebrews would recognize. They would see this as a transfer of allegiance from one Lord [[Pharaoh) to the one true Lord [[Jehovah). That knowledge about the way treaties were forged in those days actually makes Deuteronomy's format more understandable.

An interesting exercise would be comparison of the actual specifications of the Hittite treaties with the specifications in Deut. which are very broad and touched every aspect of Hebrew life.

I was wondering about the lady who was shot in Washington, D.C. today. I went to Google News. There were 1,600 related stories but the ones I opened didn't have the information I was looking for. So I went to the British "Daily Mail". Jackpot. Coverage of this story was far superior to that of any US news outlet I had gone to. More photos, more background, wow.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ite-House.html

There is another recent story with blatantly missing reporting. One of the terrorists was captured in Kenya. An earlier CNN report said two of the attackers were from the Twin Cities and another from Missouri. CNN only reported this once. Another website reported their names and ages. Then the State department said it had intercepted a message saying the report I mentioned wasn't true. A Kenyan official later said that at least one terrorist was from the Twin Cities. Then nothing. The press dropped the story. I'm still curious. Has anyone seen a list of the terrorists and where they were from? If there were Americans involved, did they get away? One would think this is a story worth following.

Why do Russian/ Swedish hockey players speak better English than [[me), this several generation American? I'm in awe.

After reading an article in the current Time, about militia slavery in post Khadafy Libya, maybe strong dictators are the only solution for the middle east, and not forced Democracy. We can't overthrow the world.
    Yes, limit their power and abuses through the international community, and limit their military, but they seem the only way to hold 100 tribes and religions in check.
    Yes, in a better world this would not be needed, but 100 years of history has proved this wrong.
    We can thank the British for this mess in WWI.

And besides, look at the difference between modern Qatar and modern Syria. One is the Oz-like Wall Street of the middle east, the other is a bombed out husk of a civilization.

Africa is off the charts, and nothing seems to work, except Morocco and the lower continent.
    Last edited by Bigb23; October-24-16 at 11:35 PM.

Where have the Tea party been for the last 2 years? I hate when you have Rock Star politicos that drive a portion of the population. They should dress up with orange hair and a bad tan, along with their tri - corner hats and effigy's.

Been locked out of my house, my car, my computer, my desk, and my office. However, being locked out of my washing machine is a first. Don't these safety experts know that some of these kids today could probably use a little spin and rinse ? [[I jest...just give me back my clothes !)

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/lif...ngs/106811788/

One thing you'll never hear a man say....."Honey, wouldn't this room look great with some wallpaper ?"

Scored a couple close tickets to Neil Young's July 3rd acoustic concert at The Fox. I'm excited !

You can't be 20 on Sugar Mountain...though you're thinking that you're leaving there too soon.

My definition of Hell.....A very long road trip with Greg Gutfeld of Fox News and Tom Daldin from "Under the Radar Michigan".

If I ever see somebody actually wearing one of those raw kangaroo meat pullovers being advertised on the side of this forum page, I'm gonna pull a gut from laughter.

My cable provider [[AT & T) notified their subscribers yesterday that they dropped the NFL Network two weeks before the draft. I'll be giving them my response and reward for that action this Fall before the season starts.

https://www.freep.com/story/weather/...it/3666723002/

It's not your or my imagination....this Spring sucked by any definition !....and that's not even accounting for the miserable rain and snow.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-du...-shot-to-death

I'd like to see some statistics as to how many people that work with big cats end up being injured or killed by the animals they keep for whatever purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-du...-shot-to-death

I'd like to see some statistics as to how many people that work with big cats end up being injured or killed by the animals they keep for whatever purpose.
    I'm convinced my domesticated house cats would kill and eat me if they were big enough.

Dealing with my 3rd neighbor in a row who thinks it's standard procedure to move not once, but 3 times after midnight. So last night I cracked a beer and went out and sat on the front porch, sat in a lawn chair, and watched them from 5 feet away. Eventually they asked me if 'there was a problem'. I smiled and said, "none at all. It's just that if you're rude enough to move after midnight on a weekday and wake everyone up, I'm rude enough to watch...please continue !"

I bet I'm not the only one who holds their breath and closes their eyes whenever anyone violates my 6 foot space on a walk or bike ride.

Cloverleaf & Buddy's pizza freezes quite well. Just don't order any veggies or fruit, as they get funky when frozen. You can always add them later. It's a nice break to have an easy good meal available with minimal cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I bet I'm not the only one who holds their breath and closes their eyes whenever anyone violates my 6 foot space on a walk or bike ride.

I start coughing violently, I get my space back.

In the spirit of what could possibly happen next, I went to the mailbox and received a summons to appear in Macomb's criminal court for jury duty on May 6th. Even weirder, the notice was sent out on March 26th, after the lockdown. I'm having nightmare visions of 60-100 masked people sitting in a jury pool room for hours in a court that's already had some incidents of virus infection. I'm all for doing my civic duty, but you've had 40 plus years to call me...why now ? Can't much see the urgency of convicting someone of a crime when you're currently releasing prisoners that have already been convicted. I'm sure this will be delayed, but it seems silly to have even sent out the notice during this time.

I asked a McDonald's employee in the drive through line why the flag at McDonalds was a half mast. He didn't know.

I don't remember the U.S. flag being at half mast so much of the time in the past. Seeking guidance about when to fly the flag at half mast, I found this article: http://halfstaff.org/when-to-raise-flag-to-half-staff/ It includes this quote,

"The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day."

It's no wonder the flag is at half mast so often. It's very confusing. This same website says the recent half mast setting, the one I questioned at McDonalds, was in memory of former Vice-president Mondale and goes on,

Fly the United States Flag at Half-Staff Immediately in Honor of Former Vice President Walter Frederick Mondale. *** flags should remain at half staff until the sunset on the day the interment.

Well, which is it? Should the flags be down 10 days from the death of the Vice-president or until the sunset on the day of interment? It doesn't matter because now it is suggested that flags be raised as the former VP will be buried in September.

Name:  20210408_113724.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  178.8 KB

By far the biggest snake I've seen in Michigan.

Why are there so many hillbillies on Ohio?

Because its next to the hills of Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.

ccbatson Guest

They [[the ancients) did not understand the power of a large scale society composed of individuals acting in their own self interest by the rules of a free market to generate unheard of prosperity...Capitalism. They also didn't understand that the earth was round BTW.

I'll concede only partly. They didn't have modern capitalism, but they did have capitalism. And they clearly understood the power of invididuals acting in their own self interests. They just seemed to have decided that it produced mostly negative results if not controlled. Why else would there be ancient laws against usury and stiff penalties for having false weights?

Capitalism is almost as ancient as man. It goes all the way back to Mesopotamia and Babylonia, at least. You had merchants. You had trade and commerce. You even had inflation. You had people who became quite prosperous for their time. You had government run enterprises [[like the temples in some cultures) and private enterprises. You had taxation on imports and exports and sometimes a waiver of taxation to encourage trade [[there are ancient writings detailing some of this).

The difference is that ancient people did not think very highly of capitalists. The modern Western world made capitalism respectable

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast