Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Maybe she was huggging his ....leg?

Godbee said the gun was in a waist holster made of " a very soft neoprene type material," which would have allowed the trigger to be activated. He said there's no evidence the officer fired the gun, and he believes the gun discharged after Miller hugged the officer from behind during a party at the officer's home.
    Okayeee... let's say we have the soft holster, it's a now a waist holster, he's 6'7" and she's 4'10" otherwise she tackles him...

So why was the gun unlocked?

[crickets]

Or did her hug both unlock and trigger the weapon?

Lots of questions still.

^^ Maybe she was reaching for his other 'gun'?

The explanation doesn't pass the smell test. Read a later edition and it said he was dancing with his wife and the young lady comes up behind him and hugs him.

I find that scenario to be quite strange for a whole lot of reasons.

I'm assuming that her hand hit the gun when she grabbed him. Every firearm isn't as safe as others. You would think that a police officer would be using a safer combination of pistol and holster.

I also hope that the people that think this accident is funny don't have to experience the death of one of their loved ones in a freak accident.

Shollin Guest

Shouldn't there be a bullet hole in the holster? If it accidentally discharged in the holster, there should be evidence of a gun firing in the holster.

They will know if he pulled the trigger by gun powder residue.
    I see that there is some concern that the Chief did not answer a reporter's question about a blood alcohol test for Parrish. But he likely had been drinking at a party in his own home. So what would it prove to find out that he had been drinking?
    The woman's mother is complaining that Parrish had a weapon on in his home.

Is it possible that she was goofing around and went up behind him and under the guise of hugging him playfully grabbed at his gun and it went off?

Anything is possible but .....

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Maybe she was huggging his ....leg?
    it could explain the lack of witnesses ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The worst thing ever to happen in contemporary policing was the change from the .38 special revolver over to the automatic pistols. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    I never see any police carrying double action revolvers anymore. As far as I know, they've all switched to automatic .40 or 9mm pistols. From what I understand, one of the reasons why the change was made was because the cops were being outgunned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    FYI, Many departments have moved on to Smith & Wesson's Military & Police [[M&P) models. The Glocks were issued so long ago that the first one with the DPD serial number was given to Coleman Young--I almost bought his Glock at auction a few years back but I like steel frame handguns.
    DPD got rid of their Glocks a few years ago. Don't know why, can't believe they were breaking, those things are indestructable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Shouldn't there be a bullet hole in the holster? If it accidentally discharged in the holster, there should be evidence of a gun firing in the holster.
    Most concealed carry holsters are open ended so that you don't get dust and crud buildup in the holster. Many holsters also expose the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Most concealed carry holsters are open ended so that you don't get dust and crud buildup in the holster. Many holsters also expose the trigger.

Many?! Maybe some, but I'd go for a few. It simply cannot be many, because those are idiotic...too great a liability, especially in today's litigious society.

As far as this story, now that it is apparent that the young woman approached the party-giver and his wife while dancing...I'd say a significantly different story is true, and nearly everything we've read and heard is cover-up.

My bet is the wife grabbed the gun to chase off the dead woman in jealousy, so her dominant hand should have the gunpowder residue on it. Trajectory of the bullet travel should be from her natural firing height. I'm guessing they all flunked the alcohol testing.

Just guessing, of course, from all of the available data that isn't exactly covered in the false story they're trying to present.

The base items of the story are true. She hugged him from behind, and shortly thereafter she was shot. They're just leaving out a few things.

<ugh>

Now they are saying she was on her knee's.
    Also there was no breathalyzer test done.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012071...text|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Many?! Maybe some, but I'd go for a few. It simply cannot be many, because those are idiotic...too great a liability, especially in today's litigious society.

As far as this story, now that it is apparent that the young woman approached the party-giver and his wife while dancing...I'd say a significantly different story is true, and nearly everything we've read and heard is cover-up.

My bet is the wife grabbed the gun to chase off the dead woman in jealousy, so her dominant hand should have the gunpowder residue on it. Trajectory of the bullet travel should be from her natural firing height. I'm guessing they all flunked the alcohol testing.

Just guessing, of course, from all of the available data that isn't exactly covered in the false story they're trying to present.

The base items of the story are true. She hugged him from behind, and shortly thereafter she was shot. They're just leaving out a few things.

<ugh>
    My first post on this subject I said this story didn't pass the smell test. I was alluding to much of what you were saying. I wouldn't be surprised that once all of the story comes out this might not even be an accident.

What bothers me is that Chief Godbee came out and put his own spin on the initial story. I'm thinking that this is one instance were he should have said "no comment" we are still checking the story out. Because if it turns out this story is false a case can be made that he is a part of a cover up, and unlike the public which gets limited information he gets all the information

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised that once all of the story comes out this might not even be an accident.
    When I referenced a more infamous case on the first page, I was saying we'll never get the whole, true story. The cover-up began before the first phone call. Which brings up another question ----- how long after the shot was the first call for help made?

'when you party with a gun, you party with the grim reaper.'

It is optional for Detroit police officers to carry their weapons while off-duty.
    The official said police did not give Parrish a Breathalyzer, but alcohol does not appear to be a factor. The source added there was no odor of intoxicants, the officer's speech was not slurred and he took a field sobriety test.
    According to department policy, "off-duty officers are prohibited by state law from carrying a firearm if their blood alcohol level is 0.02% or above." It's unclear whether Miller had been drinking when the shooting occurred about 12:30 a.m. Sunday.

Everything about this statement screams cover-up.

We had a neighbor in Detroit who was a DPD officer. I know that when he came home from work, the first thing he did was put his gun up on top of the china cabinet where his kids couldn't reach it, but when they went someplace, he always carried. Can't see this officer wearing his firearm at home, unless he was expecting an unruly group.

This story has more holes in it than swiss cheese.....I have holsters both hard and soft, I have seen dozens of others and I have never seen one where the trigger is exposed enough to do that. And for those who do not know about S&W .40 model he claimed to be carring have no external safety with the exception of a double trigger, same as a Glock. This girl would have to be on her knees, and his weapon would have had to been exposed more than was claimed. This is just my 2 cents worth based on my experience with a concealed carry. Is is possible? Anthing is possible.......but the afore mentioned things would have had to been a perfect storm.......As for why he was carring, who knows, many people who are either police officers or citizens carry everywhere.....

I think the "cover-up" is an awkward effort to protect the memory of the [[unfortunately) drunk young woman who was acting in a way that, if known, her family wouldn't want to remember all their lives.
    I have met the officer involved. It is really unlikely that he mistakenly shot a young woman in his own house. Of he did he will have gunpowder residue on his hands and any attorney would be able to ask for that report - a coverup is impossible.
    Notice that there is no outcry from the friends who were with her. Don't you think that if her death were anything other than stated that others at the party, or at least her friends would say something. Yet no one does.
    I imagine that, out of consideration for the family the DPD started to keep ugly details quiet but now they must drip them out because of rabid accusations of Criminal Cover-up are being tossed around. So now we hear that woman was on her knees [[Mother indignantly denies even tho not present) and that she arrived intoxicated, and that she was fondling man she just met. People do that all the time, of course, but no one wants to have that be remembered as her final, foolish, drunken act. Godbee is a minister and likely was trying to be kind but now it has back-fired.

Hmmm, as more info comes out this could bow really bad per Godbee's early commentary. The story has hit national news now:

Detroit police say trigger of officer's holstered gun could be reached through soft cover explaining fatal shooting when girl hugged him from behind

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz20H9QGICv

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The story has hit national news now.
    That would be international!!

Even though it is only the Daily Mail, it seems the UK press covers more fully the stuff the locals and national news services don't seem to want to follow up on...

They published a rather incriminating photo, lookin' like the young lady just left Big Bobb's torture chamber...and they report that her mother heard from friends that she was 'being flirty'. How did this get missed with the local coverage?!

I'm no longer guessing...I'm saying...the wife did it. Shot her down for messin' with her man.
    Last edited by Gannon; July-10-12 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hmmm, as more info comes out this could bow really bad per Godbee's early commentary. The story has hit national news now:

Detroit police say trigger of officer's holstered gun could be reached through soft cover explaining fatal shooting when girl hugged him from behind

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz20H9QGICv

Read your link and some of the comments afterward. Godbee better hope this doesn't turn out to be a murder investigation. Knowing Bing's management style he'll kick him to the curb in a minute. Given the mayors shakey re-election hopes there's no way Godbee survives something like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast