Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
I wouldn't figure that a simple hug would make that gun fire. Husbands and wives do it every day saying good bye to their families. I know that the Glocks for the DPD do not have a safety, [[does anyone know if it was the department issued weapon or his off-duty weapon)? they have to keep a round in the chamber, but usually the holsters have a snap or guard of some kind to prevent the weapon from falling out.
So very sad for everyone involved.

I've never seen a holster without a complete trigger guard.

I can understand the police carrying after hours, but they don't need to keep a bullet in the chamber.

I own a Glock 9mm, probably one of the old police issues before they switched to .40cal, and it is particularly difficult to fire by mistake. Trigger has to be 2/3rds pulled before all of the safety mechanisms are bypassed.

It is untrue that Glocks do not have safeties...what they don't have is a single safety switch to toggle before being able to fire.

In a proper holster, even IF it was a shoulder design, there is no way this would happen.

The police officer should be to blame completely.

That is how it would have been dealt with if it had been a civilian. It is no 'accident'...freak or otherwise.

Sincerely,
John