Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

more flexibility in nighttime entertainment is needed in detroit.. extended bar hours, and more.. everything's dead after 2 in the morning..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    more flexibility in nighttime entertainment is needed in detroit.. extended bar hours, and more.. everything's dead after 2 in the morning..
    And during the week when there isn't a game, festival, or some other major event, everything is dead after 5 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltbaby01 View Post
    If the rules go through, you'll start seeing an increase of strippers working at "house parties" around the city......think strip clubs lower property values? Wait until the strip club is operating in the vacant house next door to you.
    Let's not forget that these strip clubs are operating next door to many people. These strip clubs are along commercial strips that jut through residential neighborhoods.

I was raised a city block south of 8 Mile, where my parents still reside. Strip clubs and adult book/video stores line the street, one after another. Since I was I was a child, prostitutes, possible pedophiles, and others have used our streets. Moreover, kids play in areas where it is not uncommon to find soiled condoms.

Cheetah's Gentlemen's Club, closest to my family's home, has been the setting of a major blaze [[set by a janitor in 2005 to cover up his theivery), an alleged assault by Eminem, and a highly publicized case of sex slavery [[of an immigrant).

If Detroiters can survive grocery stores and businesses fleeing the community, I doubt that we, neighbors of these strip clubs, would be hard-pressed, or even disappointed, if one or two closed up shop.

A friend lived near a strip club, about ten years ago. She said that once or twice a month, someone would actually pull into her driveway for sex, usually just after the 2:00 AM closing time. I understand the "not in my back yard" sentiment.
    Put them in designated zones, away from residential areas. Tolerate NO litter or extracurricular outside activities. Then, let the fools who enjoy this entertainment have there way. The real exploitation victims are the sad and lonely men who pay exorbitantly for this entertainment.

I don’t hate strip club [[cause I use to go) but there are problems that they do bring to the community that people that are for don’t really want to admit or are just a little sheltered. There are a lot more prostitution there than meets the eye. First take a look around in the club watch for the guys with the jogging pants……… They don’t come in like that for no reason. Second me and my friends have been propositioned at a few clubs, it usually after the private dance….Oh and don’t forget the real prostitutes that hang around down the street a ways waiting for men to get out of the club. Or the ones that come in on armature night to drum up some business. Also lot of these girls already do hotel parties and the like. I’m not saying shut all these business down just do better with the regulations. ……….SIDE NOTE:.I hate “I’m Working My Way Through College” In 5 years she been working she a Wayne State or MSU or U of M freshmen every time you meet her a again.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    You all need some female company. Strip clubs seem way to important to you all. Have any of you ever kissed a woman yet?
    NOT in a strip club

Strip Clubs should be the least of this city's worries, but with all the "church" people in town, they need something to bitch about. It's funny, church folks leanin' toward Jesus preach to love each other [[as long as they are straight and like them) I'm sure Jesus is real proud. Go spew your religious rubbish on things that matter.

First take a look around in the club watch for the guys with the jogging pants……… They don’t come in like that for no reason.
    I'm not sure where you've been but the ones I was in had strict dress codes which was basically business attire. Siloz and another one on 8 Mile I used to go to [[can't remember the name right now) were very nice places. Many a business deal was penned in them during lunch and dinner hours. Tables were filled with business execs, lawyers, bankers, celebrities, etc. Even a few Detroit politicians including Council members. It wasn't uncommon for the lunch or dinner tab to be $300 or more. I had a couple of pretty good friends that worked at those two clubs.

One of the best was on Michigan in east Dearborn. Valet parking, doormen, upscale foods. That place was always packed; standing room only and almost every customer there was in a business suit, day or night. The girls there could make $1,000 a night just dancing. They didn't have to do anything else extra-curricular.

I've also known some of the girls. Some were skanks, but most were working mothers or housewives. They could make more dancing 2 or 3 days a week than they could working a 40 hour job. Some were models you may have seen at the Auto Show, others were doing television commercials. Most were quite intelligent.

There was also the Landing Strip in Romulus that was decent.

Yes, there were the other type of clubs in the 7 Mile/VanDyke area. I think one of the worst was Henry III on Michigan Ave out around Inkster somewhere. One of the girls there actually had a bullet scar in her stomach and was proud of it.

Cross reference with the "Fabulous Strip Club Ruins of Detroit" [[Discuss Detroit section) thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    What are we talking about here? Could someone put up pictures?
    You certainly have a sense of humor RickBeall.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-05-09 at 10:53 AM. Reason: edit

Detroit's proposed strip club restrictions draw big crowd

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...430/1409/METRO

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit --At least 200 people jammed City Council chambers today to weigh in on a proposal to ban alcohol and require dancers wear opaque pasties at the city's 33 strip clubs, but it's unclear whether the panel will take action today.
    Only four council members were in attendance by about 11:20 a.m. -- President Ken Cockrel Jr., Kwame Kenyatta, Brenda Jones and JoAnn Watson -- and that's not enough to comprise a quorum for a legal meeting. Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel attended the session briefly but left. Ken Cockrel said he would accept comments from the public, and then consider whether to send a police officer to get Sheila Cockrel so the panel could legally meet.
    The absences create a quandary for the council, which planned on introducing the resolution today and voting on it Nov. 20, the final session before a holiday recess that lasts until January, when new members come on board. Rules require five days to pass before the council could vote, however, so today's delay may mean the issue will last into next year -- or require the council to call a special session during the recess.

For much of the year, religious leaders have urged the council to get tough on the clubs. But the city already is facing several lawsuits related to its regulation of them.
    Dancer Caprice Marbury told members the changes would likely mean she would lose her job.
    "This is how I go to school and feed my kids," Marbury said today. "I don't want to be on welfare. There's nobody hiring."
    Her 1-year-old daughter sat on Marbury's lap as she spoke. Many other women brought babies to the hearing.
    Samantha Gapp, a dancer at the Toy Chest, said she was a legal secretary, but when she moved to Metro Detroit, she couldn't find work.
    "It's nearly impossible to find a decent job," Gapp said. "If you don't like it, steer yourself away from it."
    But others, including pastors and church members, said it's time for a change.
    "I am disgusted with passing from east to west and only seeing [[the strip clubs) on the Detroit side," said Belinda Scott, who attends Perfecting Church. "Is this all we can offer our young girls? No, I think we can do better."
    Tammi Mathis of Detroit agreed, saying, "It's sad that the only option we are giving our daughters is to dance at clubs.".

Kudos to Shelia Cockrel for blocking this nonsense.

Although, I have to take issue with the Detroit News for their headline in the story linked above. How does enacting more regulations that won't be enforced - on top of the umpteen other regulations that aren't enforced - constitute "reform"?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Detroit's proposed strip club restrictions draw big crowd

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...430/1409/METRO

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit --At least 200 people jammed City Council chambers today to weigh in on a proposal to ban alcohol and require dancers wear opaque pasties at the city's 33 strip clubs, but it's unclear whether the panel will take action today.
    Only four council members were in attendance by about 11:20 a.m. -- President Ken Cockrel Jr., Kwame Kenyatta, Brenda Jones and JoAnn Watson -- and that's not enough to comprise a quorum for a legal meeting. Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel attended the session briefly but left. Ken Cockrel said he would accept comments from the public, and then consider whether to send a police officer to get Sheila Cockrel so the panel could legally meet.
    The absences create a quandary for the council, which planned on introducing the resolution today and voting on it Nov. 20, the final session before a holiday recess that lasts until January, when new members come on board. Rules require five days to pass before the council could vote, however, so today's delay may mean the issue will last into next year -- or require the council to call a special session during the recess.

For much of the year, religious leaders have urged the council to get tough on the clubs. But the city already is facing several lawsuits related to its regulation of them.
    Dancer Caprice Marbury told members the changes would likely mean she would lose her job.
    "This is how I go to school and feed my kids," Marbury said today. "I don't want to be on welfare. There's nobody hiring."
    Her 1-year-old daughter sat on Marbury's lap as she spoke. Many other women brought babies to the hearing.
    Samantha Gapp, a dancer at the Toy Chest, said she was a legal secretary, but when she moved to Metro Detroit, she couldn't find work.
    "It's nearly impossible to find a decent job," Gapp said. "If you don't like it, steer yourself away from it."
    But others, including pastors and church members, said it's time for a change.
    "I am disgusted with passing from east to west and only seeing [[the strip clubs) on the Detroit side," said Belinda Scott, who attends Perfecting Church. "Is this all we can offer our young girls? No, I think we can do better."
    Tammi Mathis of Detroit agreed, saying, "It's sad that the only option we are giving our daughters is to dance at clubs.".
    I don't think this is the time to drive any legal business out of the city.There are bigger fish to fry.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    Yes, all the world's great tourist destinations are built around strip clubs.
    Clearly, someone has never been to Montreal

DetroitDad Guest

I have just lost a lot of respect for these religous leaders. This, while an important issue, is not what they should be worrying about right now.

Blarf Guest

The religious leaders sure know what's moral. Their stupid religion which has played a major factor in thousands of years of hatred, religious wars, and bigotry, should have the power to shut down these sin houses.

Default Let the neighborhood decide

Let the neighborhood decide.
    So now that Detroit will be divided into wards, each ward could decide this issue for itself. And it could get taxed for whatever police action the strip clubs demand.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Let the neighborhood decide.
    So now that Detroit will be divided into wards, each ward could decide this issue for itself. And it could get taxed for whatever police action the strip clubs demand.
    I would love that, especially if we got to keep 100% of the tax revenue that said clubs generate.

The one strip club in the Warrendale neighborhood actually generates less police action than your average grocery store or laundromat. [[We have a grocery store, a laundromat and a strip club so it's an easy comparison.) If we got to keep the tax revenue, instead of sending it downtown to subsidize the Idiotic Idea of the Week, it would truly be a net gain for the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Fnemecek; November-14-09 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I have just lost a lot of respect for these religous leaders. This, while an important issue, is not what they should be worrying about right now.
    I wouldn't lump all religious leaders into this. This is primarily driven by the Perfecting Church. Some religious leaders still use their brain more than their mouth.

In terms of the high class clientel these places supposedly draw, a friend of mind used to live on Winchester, not too far from the Booby Trap, he said the crowd going into that place was total scum, dancers included. The block of Winchester where he used to live [[ this was a good ten years ago ) is totally gone. I don't think there's any livable houses left there.

I'm not aganist strip clubs at all, I say anything that generates revenue is fine.

until people are safe in their homes, safe in their schools, and safe in their community - titty bars can wait a while. establish a baseline of civility and responsibility first - then open up your red-light establishments.

detroitchef Guest

EUREKA!
    how about 'temporary Strip Clubs? They could just move every six months!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitchef View Post
    EUREKA!
    how about 'temporary Strip Clubs? They could just move every six months!
    That would be great - as long as they're not run by anyone from Grosse Pointe. You just can't trust those trust fund kids.

Ordinances like this fall into the "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" category. It makes the politician look like they are doing something, but it has nothing to do with the real crises at hand. Ridgeabilly's photo is appropriate. It is from Highland Park, not Detroit. The proposed ordinance will only push the business to somewhere else and deprive Detroit of the revenue.

Great! If the pragmatic approach and motive is purely tax based then let's have one every 5 blocks. That will solve the fiscal problem at least.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    All this is going to do is make strip club owners pull up shop and move to the suburbs, because any horny customer with a car will be happy to drive to The Landing Strip or some other club. And if Detroit's strip club owners don't relocate to a friendlier city, they'll go out of business.

Just what the city needs -- less tax base.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast