Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Yep-OK... Might as well thru up ones hands... if it not allowed to flourish in the clubs it will be next door. Got that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltbaby01 View Post
    If the rules go through, you'll start seeing an increase of strippers working at "house parties" around the city......think strip clubs lower property values? Wait until the strip club is operating in the vacant house next door to you.

"Hypocrisy" is not exclusive to the religious. Even the progressive, secularists might slip, veer or fall short of "their" doctrine and orthodoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    Nothing like the regulation of morality by a "Holier Than Thou" espouter of religious doctrine. There is nothing more immoral than wearing pink ladies panties behind the pulpit or offering more than a wafer to an under-age boy, while preaching against these practices. Politicians and preachers doing the toe-tap morse code in truck stop and airport rest rooms also comes to mind.

There is nothing immoral with the naked human body in all it's shapes, colors or sizes. Why can't Americans adopt the European outlook on sexuality? Religious and Political Bullshit blinds the American public. There is a special place in Hell reserved for all these hippocrites.

Yep, get that.... However, let's not forget all the wars, famines and genocides per the rise of pragmatic secular authoritarianism in which the "man" god is erected, demanding servitude...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    The religious leaders sure know what's moral. Their stupid religion which has played a major factor in thousands of years of hatred, religious wars, and bigotry, should have the power to shut down these sin houses.

stinkbug Guest

Hmm...how much do these pastors in their flashy suits and flashy cars pay in taxes in their little enterprises? Preaching to poor people to give up their meager earnings because it will be returned to them multiple times over? Then they turn around and manipulate the political system of our Republic. This is a crusade to whip their congregants into a frenzy and keep them doling out dollars. Oh yeah, remember all the support Kwame got from his pastor buddies?

And I live in the inner city and just got back from an inner city church. I'm not anti-religious, but I know how these things work.

Then the braindead city council can turn around and say that they've done something, when in reality, they haven't. They're incapable of accomplishing any meaningful reforms, attracting businesses to the City, or even speaking in complete sentences in a lot of cases. So they pull shit like this. They may be stupid, but they know how to distract the masses.

The Prof and Mr. Warrendale have it right. Also, the most common legitimate concerns here are about neighborhood proximity to strip clubs. Rightfully so, especially judging by the personal experiences of current and former residences. The city has endless swaths of vacant industrial zones which could be the "red light district" for these establishments which certainly no one wants to live next door to.
    However, city council is neither intelligent or capable enough to accomplish such a feat. Besides, it is their modus oporandi to go on "crusades" like this. It isn't glamorous, flashy, or play well with the grassroots to do boring things like planning, regulating, and zoning. It's much more politically saavy in this town to throw a fit, make a scene, ruin somebodys shit, go eastside on them, you name it.

Nobody wanted to live next to the incinerator or all these interstates but nobody asked them...or the refinery, zug island, hell, they put the Poletown plant right ON TOP of their backyards.

And I'm pretty sure these strip clubs pay more in taxes than JoAnn Watson. Oh, and I'd rather live next to a brothel than that broad any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yep-OK... Might as well thru up ones hands... if it not allowed to flourish in the clubs it will be next door. Got that...
    We could do that.

Or we could simply start enforcing the various rules that have been on the books for decades rather than dreaming up a whole new set of rules to have ignored and embark on an expensive court battle to prove that our new round of rules are indeed constitutional and properly enacted.

Last Updated: August 27. 2010 7:12PM
    Strip club sues Detroit over new rules
    Mike Wilkinson / The Detroit News

Detroit --Owners of a Detroit strip club have gone to court to thwart recently enacted city ordinances that ban lap dancing, VIP rooms and touching, among other things.

An attorney for the Penthouse Club, on Eight Mile near Evergreen, filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court today, claiming the ordinances are unconstitutional breaches of the club's free speech rights.

The lawsuit seeks a preliminary injunction, as well as a permanent resolution in the club's favor.

In February, the City Council approved the ordinances that affect the city's 31 topless clubs. It bans so-called "VIP rooms" and lap dancing, but still allows the clubs to serve alcohol. The measure passed 6-3 and followed a vocal public hearing which attracted more than 500 people.

At the time, strip club owners and employees said the crackdown would cripple their business.

In addition to the ban on VIP rooms, the new rules would require most employees get licenses from the city and limit dancers to 18-inch tall stages, which essentially bans lap dancing. The rules also ban touching, even when dancers are clothed.

The regulations stem from a federal judge's order in 2007 that struck down Detroit's regulations and ordered officials to rewrite them.

Other changes included:

• Banning new clubs from opening on Eight Mile. Clubs already have a tough time opening there because most of the roadway's zoning doesn't allow for the businesses. The established clubs were "grandfathered in" and generally opened before the city began regulating the bars in the mid-1990s

• All employees would have to get licenses and pass background checks except bathroom attendants, valets and repair and delivery workers.

• Employees couldn't get licenses if they have certain criminal convictions, including sexual or drug-related crimes.

• New clubs have to be at least 1,000 feet from another club, house, park, school or church.

The city's topless clubs employ about 6,800 workers and pay about $3 million a year in property taxes. The city is home to 40 percent of the 77 strip clubs statewide.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100827/...#ixzz0xsXx8kof

Like the city suits couldn't see that one coming a hundred miles away? So, how much will this cost the taxpayers in legal fees/lawyer salaries?

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    Well, Detroit doesn't NEED wig shops, nail salons and liquor stores on every corner, either. It has them because there is a demand for them.
    Is there really that much demand for those places on every corner in some areas? I always thought some of those where money laundering fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Is there really that much demand for those places on every corner in some areas? I always thought some of those where money laundering fronts.
    Like how Tampa has more strip clubs than gas stations?

Is deja vu in HP included in the law? they arent in Detroit, but they dont serve alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Like the city suits couldn't see that one coming a hundred miles away? So, how much will this cost the taxpayers in legal fees/lawyer salaries?
    Some of them probably didn't care. This "smells" like politics, more than anything else. But I imagine there's a whole thread to that effect already.

I personally couldn't care about strip clubs, I've been ....3 times, maybe 4. I just have no particular urge to go. Maybe I'm just not into c-section scars......... I don't think they're wrong though.

I just thought I'd mention, that these hellbound sinning strippers, who are single handedly destroying the moral fabrics of society, are currently holding a car wash at Studio 4 at Tecumseh and Huron Church in Windsor to raise money for breast cancer research if anyone is interested in helping them out.

From today's Detroit News: Ohio strippers, churchgoers wage protest war. The strippers are picketing the church that picketed their club. It's kind of cool that some of the church members are supportive of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    Maybe stripping is a sin and maybe it's not. Who the fuck are you to regulate morality? Your religious leanings may make you feel that way, but not everybody subscribes to your religion or even your morals.

Fortunately, I'm not religious so there's nothing stopping me from going to see some strippers if I so choose.
    You can still "see" strippers, baby. You just wouldn't be able to get down and dirty with them. Lap dancing is hardly a step removed from public sex. Passing and enforcing the new rules would be an attempt to keep Detroit from being one huge sleaze pot. And other cities manage with similar rules.

http://www.yourtango.com/20084521/ho...club-laws.html
    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/24323...rules03ww.html
    http://star.txstate.edu/content/stri...-rules-revised
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ip-clubs_N.htm
    Last edited by maxx; August-29-10 at 07:40 AM.

Lap dancing is hardly a step removed from public sex. Passing and enforcing the new rules would be an attempt to keep Detroit from being one huge sleaze pot.
    Blah, blah, blah......

Lap dancing? I say again, whats so wrong about Finnish people dancing.

I think it's funny how some people in this thread are fretting about losing tax base, and losing tourism. Seriously if that's the case, Detroit is really screwed if strip clubs are the cornerstone of your tax base.

But I call b.s. You can build a nightclub destination without strip clubs, and even without trashy bars.

I live over by the Rush street area in Chicago and on any given night you'll find thousands of bar and club patrons enjoying the night life until 4 am. When Daley cleaned up this area from a red light district long ago, a bunch of classy restaurants and bars open, new high end hotels, and more college type of bars. It attracts a large demographic of people off all ages, races, nationalities, and income. During the day, bars become restaurants and cafes, and are appealing to the residents who live in the area. One of the reasons I moved to this neighborhood was because it is a nice place day and night.

Certainly the most important point is it attracts plenty of people from Michigan. It's not uncommon for me to meet Michiganders in the neighborhood and say they come to the Rush Street because they have nothing like it back home. If they wanted the strip clubs, they'd go down to the West Loop, but it's always a deadzone down there.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    ... If they wanted the strip clubs, they'd go down to the West Loop, but it's always a deadzone down there.
    Is that where Al Bundy goes?

Meanwhile, Detroit pursues "Second Amendment solutions" [[thank you, Sharron Angle for that quip) but says zero to ass and booze? What is my birthplace coming to, a theocracy? Dammmn

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    You can still "see" strippers, baby. You just wouldn't be able to get down and dirty with them. Lap dancing is hardly a step removed from public sex. Passing and enforcing the new rules would be an attempt to keep Detroit from being one huge sleaze pot. And other cities manage with similar rules.

http://www.yourtango.com/20084521/ho...club-laws.html
    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/24323...rules03ww.html
    http://star.txstate.edu/content/stri...-rules-revised
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ip-clubs_N.htm
    After a 14-month time-delay, you might have worked up a more witty retort, to Cheddar Bob, than that one, maybe?
    The Cheesy One hasn't been around these here parts for quite some time.

Missouri recently passed a law to kill strip clubs. No booze and no nudity at strip clubs.

Look, I'm not for strip clubs. I don't like them. That said, if you're going to impose strict laws onto strip clubs, just shut them down. You're doing the same thing with the new laws.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    Missouri recently passed a law to kill strip clubs. No booze and no nudity at strip clubs.

Look, I'm not for strip clubs. I don't like them. That said, if you're going to impose strict laws onto strip clubs, just shut them down. You're doing the same thing with the new laws.
    There is always an ulterior motive at play here. You have the state of Missouri who really don't want strip clubs in their state but strip clubs are still businesses that have a right to exist. So the state knowing that they can't force the clubs to close will simply change the laws to create a hostile environment that the strip clubs cannot survive.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post

A similar attempt was struck down before [[ http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=17916 ), just as this one will be struck down. The end result will be a mountain of legal costs for the taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    There is always an ulterior motive at play here.
    It's the bible thumper crowd trying to dictate morality.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A similar attempt was struck down before [[ http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=17916 ), just as this one will be struck down. The end result will be a mountain of legal costs for the taxpayers.
    That was my thought exactly. That law would be challenged in a hurry, and successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    There is always an ulterior motive at play here. You have the state of Missouri who really don't want strip clubs in their state but strip clubs are still businesses that have a right to exist. So the state knowing that they can't force the clubs to close will simply change the laws to create a hostile environment that the strip clubs cannot survive.
    I understand that. It just seems counter productive. In St. Louis and KC it's just going to send all that potential tax money to Kansas and Illinois. Southern Illinois is apparently well populated with strip clubs already.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast