Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tough loss. Only getting 1 shot an a 5 min pp really hurt. A goal there and we probably win. Another great effort by Howard, team just can't score to take advantage of solid goaltending. Wings are for sure a different team than we're used to. I like the hustle and the rookies are gaining valuable experience. I still like our chances in this series. Take care of business at home and I think Ducks choke in game 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Tough loss. Only getting 1 shot an a 5 min pp really hurt. A goal there and we probably win. Another great effort by Howard, team just can't score to take advantage of solid goaltending. Wings are for sure a different team than we're used to. I like the hustle and the rookies are gaining valuable experience. I still like our chances in this series. Take care of business at home and I think Ducks choke in game 7.
    Pretty straightforward assessment Downriviera. Everywhere I've been today, that 5 min PP is the fulcrum of the debate. And Jimmy has been outstanding.

I cannot for the life of me figure out this defense we have. At times these guys make great plays, settle into a groove and even chip in on scoring. Smith, 52 and Kindl made great strides this year, but they seem to always find a way of choking when the game is on the line and we need the best play out of them. Q is hit and miss - and probably always will be. Kronner has been pretty steady in my opinion. Lashoff has been brutal this playoff. Gotta hope he takes something from this experience. White and Colo are probably where they belong. Ironic, but deserved. Wonder how Suter would have settled in?

The D has struggled big time. Thank god Corey Perry is slumping or we wouldn't be in this series. Howard continues to bail them out but he can't score. Some of our grinders need to start banging in pucks in the scrambles. The thing is, we had Lidstrom and Stuart last year and lost 4 straight in the first round, so already better than that.

I'd try out Smith on the wing next season during pre-season since that seems to be where he is alot . We have to bring up a couple of guys like Tatar next season , he was a force when he was up . Buy out Samuelsson's contract , Bert will probably retire as I believe he may have spinal stenosis from the description of his symptoms . Sign one free agent D , is it time to cut Cleary loose ? Not sure how long our players contracts remain , but its time to get our NHL ready players up from GR , boy that DeKeyser was like getting a 1st rounder for a song and dance , its pretty bad when a kid straight out of college outshines a couple of our other D . We'll have a lower salary cap next season , only so much we can do

It's tough for a fan to say it, but yes some of the veterans need to move over. Homer did it, and we praised his career. Cleary is definitely holding the hot potato in this case. He's been steady for us, put up his best offensive season 1-2 years ago..... but he looks noticeably a step behind and loses important puck battles more than naught.

Agreed on Tatar. He's got a solid shot at being a intricate piece to this team. Nyquist will get better if he gets bigger/stronger. Joakim and Brunner have some serious growing to do - mentally and physically - but they have proven to me that they are on the right track.

All in all, we made the big dance; from what I can see so far there is no reason we shouldn't come back with a stronger team next year. In order for this to happen though, Kenny will need to wave his magic wand over the D corps and do something..... anything to get them solidified.

Looks like our youngsters have started to build some chemistry and starting to play their positions they way it should be played . Outside of that one blowout by the Blackhawks all games were close and we even gave one away , so I expect a good round 2 vs Chicago [[if we play the way we did last night)

Making the post season and winning in 1st round is more than I expected with this group due to all the injuries and rookies. They battled hard as a team and that was good to see. I was really hoping for one last dance with the Hawks before we head east, so lets go!

We won't be able to outscore our defensive miscues against the Hawks, they have to many guys that can make you pay. Howard bailed us out against the Ducks many times but that won't work this time. With a little better defense, a little more scoring and some improvement on the pp and we can take them. I have good friends in Chicago but there are no pleasentries exchanged when we play them in the playoffs. Keep your heads up boys, its gonna be fun.

Making the post season and winning in 1st round is more than I expected with this group due to all the injuries and rookies. They battled hard as a team and that was good to see. I was really hoping for one last dance with the Hawks before we head east, so lets go!

We won't be able to outscore our defensive miscues against the Hawks, they have to many guys that can make you pay. Howard bailed us out against the Ducks many times but that won't work this time. With a little better defense, a little more scoring and some improvement on the pp and we can take them. I have good friends in Chicago but there are no pleasentries exchanged when we play them in the playoffs. Keep your heads up boys, its gonna be fun.
    My recipe for success...... Corey Crawford pulls a hammy. Patrick Kane gets locked up for three days after punching a mounted police officer in the horse. Kronwall ends Marian Hossa's season in game one with a super clean, super explosive hit. And we need toews to share a bad bottle of sake with Ducan Keith this weekend.

Game set match.

Go Wings!

I believe we'll play Chicago twice next season . I don't know why Columbus is going to the East next season

We'll play the Hawks once at home and once in their barn. Only way we see them in the playoffs would be the final series for the cup. I look forward to renewing the rivalries with Toronto and Montreal but will miss the Hawks. Those 2 games will still be good battles though.

The NHL was so cool. Good luck Wings!1981–1982 [edit]

Changes from the 1980–1981 season [edit]

• The Norris Division switches from the Prince of Wales Conference to the Clarence Campbell Conference
    • The Hartford Whalers and Montreal Canadiens move to the Adams Division
    • The Pittsburgh Penguins move to the Patrick Division
    • The Los Angeles Kings move to the Smythe Division
    • The Minnesota North Stars and Toronto Maple Leafs move in from the Adams Division
    • The Chicago Black Hawks, St. Louis Blues, and Winnipeg Jets move in from the Smythe Division

You could see the Wings had no legs in game 1 vs Hawks. The tough 7 game battle with the Ducks and the travel took its toll, whereas the Hawks had an easy series and a short flight to Minneapolis one time. Hopefully we'll see a better effort in game 2 with 2 more days of rest.

The Leafs meltdown was tragic. I was watching CBC The National news program. They showed the thousands of Leaf fans that were watching the game outside in the plaza. In a matter of minutes they went from cheers and laughing to being utterly distraught. That was harsh.

You could see the Wings had no legs in game 1 vs Hawks. The tough 7 game battle with the Ducks and the travel took its toll, whereas the Hawks had an easy series and a short flight to Minneapolis one time. Hopefully we'll see a better effort in game 2 with 2 more days of rest.
    As much as travel is to blame..... our defensive corps have been a huge liability. Most of them are coming off a terrific regular seasons, and they played incredible down the stretch. Having said that, a skilled team such as the hawks need not search long for ways to exploit their weaknesses. As a matter of fact, the Wings D is helping the hawks with that already.

On a brighter note, Jimmy Howard is probably playing the best hockey he has ever managed in his career. There's a guy who knows what a contract is for.

PS - Did they find Franzen or Filpulla yet? I heard they were lost somewhere between the Anaheim airport and DTW. Hope they turn up.

Filppula is a UFA next season , I say let him walk and use the money towards a quality D , I don't know whats up with Smith but he hasn't looked much better against the Hawks than he did first game of the season . Mule ? I like Babcock but if Bowman were the coach he would have been sat a couple of times already for lack of effort . And if I were Babcock I wouldn't use Brunner on the point . I watch other games and notice how quickly other teams D gets the biscuit out , thats what I want to see vs limp dick attempts that end up in our net lol

Jimmy Howard contiues to bail us out of the mistakes on D. If he can keep it up theres no telling how far we'll go. Might be the best goaltending performance for the Wings in the playoffs since Roger Crozier won the Conn Smythe in a losing effort in 66. Never thought we'd be up 2-1 in this series. I think winner of next game takes it.

I hate coming here and eating humble pie when I read my previous posts. The D has tightened up and Filpula and Franzen have both popped goals since my last rant.

That being said, one more win on Thursday would provide quite a spark for us and a death knell for the Hawks. The morale factor would be deafening. Meanwhile the previously tuned-out Wings fans are coming out in droves. Those who wrote off the NHL for their antics [[lockout) have puckered up and dug those old Maltby jersey's outta the closet. Hockeytown is back. And their hungry for more.

This time it's quite different for me personally. I can simply say this season has had it all for a Wings fan. One word: Magical

As much as I've been enjoying the NHL playoffs, I'm also watching the Memorial Cup games on the NHL network. London knocked off our hometown Plymouth Whalers in the OHL playoffs and are now in the Memorial Cup round robin. Dale Hunter coaches London and Tie Domi's son is on the team. The Memorial Cup is the hardest trophy to win in sports. Not only do you have to win four playoff rounds in your league, you then advance to a round robin against the 2 other leagues. Final is Sunday.

This is fun. Red Wings are playing exactly the right kind of game for the playoffs. The quote from CBC tonight was right on: "The Red Wings are like a rash that won't go away!"
    Now, I'm off to Canada for the long weekend.

I'll be the first one to admit I never saw this coming.

A few months ago it looked pretty bad and we were on the verge of not making the playoffs. And now? This team is making some noise... and even if we don't go any further than this round, we're seeing the future of the Wings now and it looks pretty darn bright.

Taking Chicago to the brink of elimination is pretty damn cool. We can't let up now- and if LA taught us anything last year, keep riding this gravy train out to the bitter end.

Jimmy Howard's been stellar and, dare I say even stolen a few games for us. Hank & Pav have been solid, but what's really impressed me so far has been the youngsters. I never thought Kindl would come along so quickly. Smith has rebounded nicely. Andersson's been a stud defensively and is winning the big faceoffs. And Nyquist & Brunner have actually helped this team shed its slow image. It's not a bad time for this team to come together.

Again, I'm shocked but a pleasant shock.

TKshreve--- Many servings of humble pie, sad thing is as I start to see more and more Red Wing flags adorning more and more cars in an all of a sudden fashion, most people won't step up and take a slice-- Because "they" always believed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post

Again, I'm shocked but a pleasant shock.
    I am more feeling more like having been tased [[tazed) after last night's bloodletting. We were beaten like rented mule.

From my previous post :

'' I don't know whats up with Smith but he hasn't looked much better against the Hawks than he did first game of the season . ''

Out of position on two Hawks goals , and he knows it by hanging his head on the bench . I think his audition should be over . Who knows we may win game 7 and move on and see more of Smith being out of position [[ D 101 - stay in position)

Count me as one who didn't think that was worthy of a penalty shot. At the time however I was glad. At that point in the game I would much rather give them a penalty shot, where the goalie has the advantage, than a 2 minute power play. Didn't work out though. True Smith is making rookie mistakes that are very noticeable. Others are making mistakes leading up to his mistakes too. Score on the pp and go up 2 goals and were not even talking about Smith. The pp not only didn't score, it didn't create any momentum. We have to be happy to be in a game 7 with the best team in the league, so lets have fun with it.

Well, the Red Wings surpassed expectations. The fact is: No team that cannot finish a series after leading 3 games to one, and has a successful power play percentage around five percent, deserves to win the Stanley Cup.
    I just hope Mr. Bettman does not get his LA vs Pittsburgh series. Go Blackhawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Well, the Red Wings surpassed expectations. The fact is: No team that cannot finish a series after leading 3 games to one, and has a successful power play percentage around five percent, deserves to win the Stanley Cup.
    I just hope Mr. Bettman does not get his LA vs Pittsburgh series. Go Blackhawks!

The only thing about playing the Wings now is that Chicago was undressed a little bit. If I was a scout for LA, Pittsburgh or the Bruins I'd be combing over every bit of footage and there's a lot to see with regards to the Hawks' weaknesses. While Detroit played with grit & determination, our youth [[which isn't a bad thing for the long run) pushed them hard. Imagine what an experienced team can and will do to the Hawks now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast