Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In the mother's defense [[the mother of the baby), she didn't live in the house [[I dare not call it a home), according to news reports. The child was there being "cared for" by relatives while the mother recovered from surgery. Not sure how much of that is true...but it's what I heard. I still wouldn't leave my child in that environment...don't care if I were dying, I'd make other arrangements. I don't know if the mother grew up in that environment or if it was the father's family [[and by the looks of the news reports, I think it was the father's place of residence). I can only dare say what the mother's house looks like if she found that to be an acceptable place for someone to watch her toddler.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; July-03-12 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Dunno I could see where some might have thoughts about getting out a gun if one of these were rolling by...
    Git the shotgun, Cletus... The martians is coming!

[[When I see these pics I expect it to start broadcasting something about coming to see the fabulous Blues Brothers band.)

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    If you look at the woman sitting on the porch in frame 3, it kind of looks like the grandmother.
    I thought the same thing, but in a different frame you can see it's a young girl. A young, stupid girl.
    Last edited by jtf1972; July-03-12 at 08:00 AM.

in reply to post #45, hell, my parents grew up during the depression and had nothing but they sure didn't live in filth! what's it take to pick things up off the floor.

You want to have sympathy for Detroit's poor, but when most of them don't even take the free path of graduating from high school, what can we do?

I know DPS isn't the greatest, but if you don't graduate high school are you going to be receptive to other things you have to work for?

Some people are just content to be poor. They have a bunch of kids, who they also condition to be content with being poor.

I don't know how to break the cycle. It will have to do with education, but I don't know what it would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Reading thru the verity of posts throughout this thread I see many people excusing away this extended families horrid living conditions with the classic liberal mantra of nobody has "given' them enough so they can rise above living like animals.
    I'm a liberal and as you can see I condone none of this. But go right ahead Mr. Classy, make the death of a child about your warped political agenda.

you can thank FDR ...
    Classic so-called "conservative" values of hatred and vitriol. Franklin Roosevelt - REALLY?! The man who saw this country through the Depression and World War II, a good 70 years ago now and you're blaming him for this incident on Brinker Street. It's deeply disturbing first of all that you have the nerve to blast a President who saw this great nation through its darkest days - And what have you done that is so wonderful for society? anything? As far as I can tell you lived on the eastside until you bailed and went on to bitch about it for the following two decades - but that you blame him for today's ills is just bizarre.

I feel bad for you. I am young and hope I never become like you.

I see these flop houses around my neighborhood and can see why the cycle repeats itself over and over. If your parents sit on a porch all day that is what the children will accept as normal and will likely do the same. I feel bad for the babies and even a little sad for the parents, surely it is what they want to do and probably even enjoy it a bit. I mean going to work to eek out a living can be a bit tiring at times.
    My dad is functionally illiterate and an alky but has worked all his life and I do the same after not graduating HS, for 13 years I've pulled on my 30 dollar Kmart boots at my menial factory job which provides me a decent living all I have to do is show up on time and do what I'm told and it goes pretty easy.
    Basic soft skills and a decent attitude are all it takes to hold a halfway decent job IMO.
    For me work is life and gives me purpose and provides means for us. I could not imagine being without my job

I could not understand most of what Zaia's father said but the part about the baby being wrapped in a fuckin white towel came through loud and clear. Poor child.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm a liberal and as you can see I condone none of this. But go right ahead Mr. Classy, make the death of a child about your warped political agenda.

Classic so-called "conservative" values of hatred and vitriol. Franklin Roosevelt - REALLY?! The man who saw this country through the Depression and World War II, a good 70 years ago now and you're blaming him for this incident on Brinker Street. It's deeply disturbing first of all that you have the nerve to blast a President who saw this great nation through its darkest days - And what have you done that is so wonderful for society? anything? As far as I can tell you lived on the eastside until you bailed and went on to bitch about it for the following two decades - but that you blame him for today's ills is just bizarre.

I feel bad for you. I am young and hope I never become like you.
    Ok PooBear lets Spar over your response to my post;

1. I am speaking of "government welfare" type programs that are largely liberal and democratic in origin and eventually end up sustaining mediocrity. I said nothing about FDR gettting the nation out of the Great Depression and helping to win WWII, although he was a staunch isolationist up until Pearl Harbor, but hey I'm glad that you are somewhat up on your history.

2. I posted what I saw growing up in a Detroit neighborhood where I was the minority [[reads whiteboy) where some not all of the young men on my block sat around drinking 40's and smoking joints complaining about "day cut ma check" they didn't graduate high school, fathered multiple children from multiple females, they did not keep their homes in decent condition.

3. You ask what have I done for society, well I graduated High school like I was supposed to and took my young 17 year old immature butt and joined the Navy where I spent 26 years providing for the safety and security of our great nation, I was not trying to do anything noble or great by joining but hey I needed a job, it turned out to be a good fit so I stayed a little longer than my first hitch [[I did 3 years of them as a Navy recruiter in Detroit where I tried as hard as I could to help qualified young men and women like me have the same opportunities I enjoyed. I was able to go to college [[night school for 10 years) on the GI bill [[provided by Harry S. Truman back in the day) where I eventually earned my Masters Degree, with that and my 26 years of experience I was able to land a 6 figure income in the areospace industry.

4. Poo Bear you are young.. which mean you are supposed to be liberal...The "Classic so-called "conservative" values of hatred and vitriol" that you claim I espouse is actually about personal accountability and responsibility. I have two young daughters, I would NEVER leave them to fend for themselves as this innocent child had to.

5. I can appreciate you feeling bad for me, with Liberals its always about the "feelings" as you grow and mature the ills of society will wear on you and you will evolve to have more conservative values. I wish no ill will towards you or the helpless children that roam the ghetto without proper parenting, but I have no sympathy for those who "CHOOSE" to live in filth and have no respect for what it means to be a parent or for the children they have brought into this world. Being a parent means you sacrifice everything for their well being, you go without so they can thrive, you give them love by providing a safe and secure place for them to grow and prosper, this was clearly not the case in this home.

6. What we all saw in this news report is what the Detroit Police and Fire Dept knows all too well and sees on a daily basis in Detroit.
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; July-03-12 at 09:30 AM.

1. I am speaking of "government welfare" type programs that are largely liberal and democratic in origin and eventually end up sustaining mediocrity. I said nothing about FDR gettting the nation out of the Great Depression and helping to win WWII, although he was a staunch isolationist up until Pearl Harbor, but hey I'm glad that you are somewhat up on your history.
    FDR was an isolationist? That isn't true.

But anyway, why are you trying to make this thread about you?

superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Being poor isn't the problem here.
    Really? Because reading these post all I see are comments about the living conditions of the house.

FDR was an isolationist? That isn't true.

But anyway, why are you trying to make this thread about you?
    ej...It isn't about me, its about the tragic loss of a beautiful innocent child at the hands of ill responsible guardians. I just had to calm Poo Bear down by responding to his hissy fit over my post, BTW your doing a great job of off tracking this thread by your post????
    On FDR just read your history, FDR dragged his feet and "pandered" to the isolationist movement thus making him complicit in their cause until Dec 7.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Really? Because reading these post all I see are comments about the living conditions of the house.
    But that doesn't have anything to do with money. Lots of poor people keep their houses clean and don't sit on their porches with rifles.

ej...It isn't about me, its about the tragic loss of a beautiful innocent child at the hands of ill responsible guardians. I just had to calm Poo Bear down by responding to his hissy fit over my post, BTW your doing a great job of off tracking this thread by your post????
    On FDR just read your history, FDR dragged his feet and "pandered" to the isolationist movement thus making him complicit in their cause until Dec 7.
    Dragged his feet to do what? They were selling arms to the allies a year before pearl harbor and even Lend Lease was signed in March '41. What else could he have done before congress declared war and the public was ready to go to enter the war?

Talk about hijacking and trolling a thread. We've gone from a toddlers death to Roosevelt & Pearl Harbor?

C'mon....

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Admonishing poor people for being poor.........classy.
    Few people grew up poorer than my dad & his two sisters. But I guarantee you you coulda ate off my grandma's floors.

Living in abject squalor has nothing to do with being poor or wealthy. One of the filthiest homes I ever personally saw was near the corner of Grosse Pte. Blvd. & Moross. Calling it a pig sty would've been a step up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Talk about hijacking and trolling a thread. We've gone from a toddlers death to Roosevelt & Pearl Harbor?

C'mon....
    What else can be said? Is there a constitutional solution that could help these people change?

This house is a very typical Detroit house. Young girls have babies so they can get welfare and get their own place. The only people who are supposed to be living in said house are her and her children. What always happens though, her baby daddy, unemployed, dealing drugs, moves in also. Then, she gets the idea to let more people move in to collect rent from them. I've been in many houses like this, it is not uncommon to see a mattress next to the furnace in the basement. Tons of people living in the house. My favorite, the heat is always set at 90 all winter with the windows open. The gas bill gets really high, they can't pay, it gets shut off. They expect to be able to lounge around all day in shorts with no shoes in the winter and be perfectly comfortable. They then claim that DTE is heartless for shutting them off. We now require these welfare girls to get a job within 5 years and give them some job training. I think we should make them take parenting classes, housekeeping and budgeting classes and have regular, surprise social worker visits to the homes of welfare recipients.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    This house is a very typical Detroit house. Young girls have babies so they can get welfare and get their own place. The only people who are supposed to be living in said house are her and her children. What always happens though, her baby daddy, unemployed, dealing drugs, moves in also. Then, she gets the idea to let more people move in to collect rent from them. I've been in many houses like this, it is not uncommon to see a mattress next to the furnace in the basement. Tons of people living in the house. My favorite, the heat is always set at 90 all winter with the windows open. The gas bill gets really high, they can't pay, it gets shut off. They expect to be able to lounge around all day in shorts with no shoes in the winter and be perfectly comfortable. They then claim that DTE is heartless for shutting them off. We now require these welfare girls to get a job within 5 years and give them some job training. I think we should make them take parenting classes, housekeeping and budgeting classes and have regular, surprise social worker visits to the homes of welfare recipients.
    Are you a social worker? What do you do to end up in houses like that? I find it difficult to believe that that is a "typical" Detroit house.

Anyway, the condition of the house isn't even that relevant. The girl died because either she was neglected and did something to accidentally cause her death OR was abused and killed by someone at the house.

Are you a social worker? What do you do to end up in houses like that? I find it difficult to believe that that is a "typical" Detroit house.

Anyway, the condition of the house isn't even that relevant. The girl died because either she was neglected and did something to accidentally cause her death OR was abused and killed by someone at the house.
    No, I'm not a social worker. My former occupation as a real estate appraiser brought me to the inside of many Detroit houses. And yes, it is a highly typical Detroit house. The condition of the house shows how these people live, so it is entirely relevant.

What else can be said? Is there a constitutional solution that could help these people change?
    really?????Yes lets amend the constitution and add a clause that prevents irresponsible people from making babies, yikes...

First of all, you don't have to be a social worker to end up inside these homes. There are a variety of programs out there that require home inspections, etc. A company I worked for did FREE rehabs on housing like that. Some of them were so ramshackled, so dilapidated, and so filty that we couldn't even get in the house. The people living in them wouldn't even be at the house when our workers got there to work, or wouldn't answer the door.

Some of them refused a brand new refrigerator because it wasn't a double door...or wasn't big enough...or wasn't stainless steel. The floors in some of the houses were so bad, our workers had to skirt the room to get from one side to the other, or risk falling through.

Inspectors from the City would approve putting up new drywall in an upstairs room without approving the money to fix the leak in the roof that caused the drywall to cave in.

But the people who live there choose to stay in some cases, even when new subsidized housing is available to them for little or no cost. Why? I have no idea unless it's so they don't have to live by the landlords' rules.

No one knows why she died yet [[unless I missed a news report this afternoon). I think everyone's point is that if the house wasn't such a pigsty, maybe they would have found her sooner. Maybe she was alive for a while in that closet?

I have been poor. The only time I was on welfare was when I was married to my first husband who didn't like to work. I got rid of him, got a job and moved on.

I lived on very little and supported my son for many years when his father would not pay child support [[before the days of automatic wage deductions). I didn't beg for a handout, I went to work making minimum wage most of the time. I survived. I didn't buy my kids shoes that cost $100. I didn't buy jeans that cost $100. He wore K-Mart brand most of his life. We ate mac & cheese and hot dogs a lot. We did without things like air conditioning because I couldn't afford it. But my house was NEVER like that. I always knew where my child was, and the children that I babysat for to make extra money.

I have empathy for those who need help. But I also believe that God helps those who help themselves. You have to WANT to do better. I know their role models may not have been good. But it's all a matter of priority.

I also have to say that I have met some very poor young mothers who do very well at keeping their house in order and staying out of trouble. I do not mean to paint everyone with the same brush. And this baby's mother is probably a good mom who thought by leaving her daughter with family while she was getting medical care, she was ok. Unfortunately, some tragedy unfolded and here we are.

There are so many societal problems in this country and particularly this City, you can't make any blanket statements about who people are and how they live. My heart breaks for her mother and father.

May God keep her next to him for eternity.

2. I posted what I saw growing up in a Detroit neighborhood where I was the minority [[reads whiteboy) where some not all of the young men on my block sat around drinking 40's and smoking joints complaining about "day cut ma check" they didn't graduate high school, fathered multiple children from multiple females, they did not keep their homes in decent condition.

3. You ask what have I done for society, well I graduated High school like I was supposed to and took my young 17 year old immature butt and joined the Navy where I spent 26 years providing for the safety and security of our great nation, I was not trying to do anything noble or great by joining but hey I needed a job, it turned out to be a good fit so I stayed a little longer than my first hitch [[I did 3 years of them as a Navy recruiter in Detroit where I tried as hard as I could to help qualified young men and women like me have the same opportunities I enjoyed. I was able to go to college [[night school for 10 years) on the GI bill [[provided by Harry S. Truman back in the day) where I eventually earned my Masters Degree, with that and my 26 years of experience I was able to land a 6 figure income in the areospace industry.

4. Poo Bear you are young.. which mean you are supposed to be liberal...The "Classic so-called "conservative" values of hatred and vitriol" that you claim I espouse is actually about personal accountability and responsibility. I have two young daughters, I would NEVER leave them to fend for themselves as this innocent child had to.

5. I can appreciate you feeling bad for me, with Liberals its always about the "feelings" as you grow and mature the ills of society will wear on you and you will evolve to have more conservative values. I wish no ill will towards you or the helpless children that roam the ghetto without proper parenting, but I have no sympathy for those who "CHOOSE" to live in filth and have no respect for what it means to be a parent or for the children they have brought into this world. Being a parent means you sacrifice everything for their well being, you go without so they can thrive, you give them love by providing a safe and secure place for them to grow and prosper, this was clearly not the case in this home.

6. What we all saw in this news report is what the Detroit Police and Fire Dept knows all too well and sees on a daily basis in Detroit.
    I'm pretty up on my history as it was my major study.

We're not going to agree on everything but I also have no sympathy for those who do not try to better themselves and God forbid bring children into such a world.

Awesome service record. Thank you for what you have done. I am Reserve. We are going to have to agree to disagree on the liberal/government part. Happy Independence Day.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm pretty up on my history as it was my major study.

We're not going to agree on everything but I also have no sympathy for those who do not try to better themselves and God forbid bring children into such a world.

Awesome service record. Thank you for what you have done. I am Reserve. We are going to have to agree to disagree on the liberal/government part. Happy Independence Day.
    A happy ending!

I'm an anti-war fiscal conservative, so everyone I talk to hates me.

WJBK reported this morning about the pictures of the Google Gunman going "viral". However, they did not report about the connection of the house being a place where an innocent toddler died while 20 people stood by not watching her.

They just ran the story again, but this time included reporting and interviews about the house being the same one where Zyia died.

I wonder if this whole this whole story is a result of Packman11 noticing the connection!? This whole thing might have been uncovered right here.

Article in today's Detroit News notes the DYes discussion of this back in July.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast