Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default "M" is for Mabley?

While doing research recently I came across an interesting conflict with a famous local legend. I had always heard, and multiple sources mention, that the Majestic Building was so named as a result of the death of C.R. Mabley prior to the completion of the building, and the developers who assumed control of the project didn't want the added expense of removing the letter "M" which was used throughout. Another version has Mabley & Co. going out of business prior to the building's completion resulting in the same situation. However, it seems that none of this fits as Mabley died in 1885 a full decade before construction began and the company was in existence until 1978. Could it be that this bit of local lore is bunk? I suppose it is entirely possible that Joseph Carew [[who became sole owner after Mabley's death) commissioned the building as a Mabley & Co. store and then pulled out at some point leaving the M's behind. I have been unable to locate any iron clad resources that mention the story in either form and was wondering if any here might have any clarifying answers.

It stands for Malik, and that is how Kwame Malik Kilpatrick got his middle name. His Grandfather operated the elevator there. The Majestic name by-the-way was how Elmore Leonard named his character Mr. Majestic. Leonard had an office there.

Thanks, gnome but I was hoping for something slightly more verifiable than Malik.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawlspace View Post
    Thanks, gnome but I was hoping for something slightly more verifiable than Malik.

I'd say Clarence M. Burton is more verifiable than Malik.

A guy named Goodfellow took over after Mabley's death and ran the company as Mabley-Goodfellow.

-d.a. of HistoricDetroit.org

http://books.google.com/books?id=XzL...ing%22&f=false

If Carew was in charge of Mabley at this time it would not surprise me. Carew ended up being a large retailer in Cincinatti, and also built the Carew Tower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carew_Tower

I think a lot of building lore and fun facts and stuff isn't actually true and it can be hard to figure out the real story. Things get spread around, and even if something started in truth it morphs over time.

I blame it on tour guides.