Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Detroit doesn't need people. It needs taxpayers.
    Dan and 401don have really hit the nail of the head. The number of people that contribute vs. the ones that can't is far more important than the total.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    In many 'graying' areas, the birth rate is low. They also have higher death rates. Migration might not be high as those living there 'aren't going any where.' I'd think suburbs like Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, etc. meet this description.
    Dearborn and Dearborn Heights are relatively young communities with relatively high birth rates, due to the middle eastern population.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Dearborn and Dearborn Heights are relatively young communities with relatively high birth rates, due to the middle eastern population.
    I'm not sure that your statement applies to both Dearborn and Dearborn Heights:

Here is Dearborn Heights, which has a 'south' part, which I believe is graying faster then the 'north' part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dearborn_Heights,_Michigan

Dearborn Heights has been losing population since the 1970 Census. I will check the median age in 2010 Census [[edit: listed as 38.3 years) vs other areas in the Detroit metro area. 38.3 median age is not young.

Dearborn, as you suggest, is somewhat different. It reached it pop peak in the 1960s before declining. There was an uptick in the 1990s but that population growth trend has stalled. Median population age is 33.0 which is youngish and probably because of Arab American fertility being high. My guess is that Dearborn is the 'old Dearborn' - graying and declining in population and the Arab American Dearborn which is growing as births > deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dearborn,_Michigan

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/cph-1-24.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Detroit is running out of people, that's why the loss is slowing!

Slowly as poor people lift themselves out of poverty they are moving out to the suburbs. With the economy starting to pick up again look for the migration to pick up.
    The poor are moving out of poverty? If anything residents with the money to leave have and those left behind cant afford to go anywhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3