Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Residency!

Other than the financial issues, I say the biggest problem with having ended the residency requirement is that there is no longer any sense of community between public employees and the people they serve. The people they serve are like aliens to them, and they are often treated as such. It does affect job performance, attitude, priorities, loyalties, etc. If it didn't affect job performance, we should have seen increased efficiency and effectiveness once the rule was lifted. Did we?

I take exception to your statement. I AM in the business of educating kids...all kids. I put more of MY money into my classroom than DPS does, with the extras that I purchase [[novels, paper, pens, etc). I see no city resident donating anything to my classroom nor do I see many parents who make sure their kids have supplies needed for class. I am supposed to supply their children with the tools they need to do classwork. One parent told me not to assign so much work and I wouldn't need to supply so much stuff! REALLY?

I grew up in the city because of the residency requirements of the firefighters. Dad lived and worked in the city. When residency went out, we left. He ALWAYS put his heart and soul into his job to protect the city and his fellow co-workers, even when he didn't live in the city. He lost good friends to the job [[who died protecting the city and its residents). He later opened a business in the city, after he retired from the DFD. Living or not living in the city doesn't mean that you are going to protect it and its residents any more or less. I probably teach harder in the city and face many more issues than I would if I taught in the suburbs. I didn't even apply anywhere else, I always knew I wanted to give back to the community in which I grew up. Living in the city has nothing to do with my dedication to my students. I do, however, want to be safe and not have my stuff stolen and broken into...one teacher I know had her house [[in the city) broken into 5 times in a month and was forced to walk away from her house because never once did the police show up, despite the alarm being sounded on her house. She was afraid that someone would break in when she was home and kill her. I also like to have my trash picked up and I have no desire to live next to a vacant, burned out house with trash strewn about. I live right on the border of the city, though, close to the neighborhood where I grew up. Maybe, just maybe, if the city offered a little more to its residents, I would move back.

My childhood home was recently in foreclosure and was up for sale and I did think about buying it but then thought of all I would be giving up by moving back: higher insurance for my car, lack of city services [[my streets get plowed in the winter, garbage is picked up), police who are here in 2 minutes or less, fire department with WORKING equipment, ambulance service that is responsive and quick about it, I don't hear gunshots, I can leave my windows open at night and not worry about an intruder, parks that are clean and safe [[have you seen Rouge Park after a weekend? it's atrocious...does no one take trash bags and dispose of their own trash anymore??), ordinance codes that require my neighbors to cut their lawn and keep a clean environment and they are enforced...[[and yes, we all agree to abide by those codes if we want to live here), no stray dogs creeping about and holding me prisoner and if there are, animal control is here in about 10 minutes[[happened to a teacher who couldn't leave her house because of a stray pitbull that refused to leave her front yard and was viciously barking at her), and I could go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    No s**t! But you have not explained why they as public employees paid by taxes COLLECTED from city of Detroit residents should have received special treatment as compared to other PUBLIC employees. You are confused as to whether DPS employees are public employees. I do love how everyone flies off the handle on here. MEA/DFT it does not matter who, they are all in the business of NOT teaching your children!
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; June-14-12 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I take exception to your statement. I AM in the business of educating kids...all kids. I put more of MY money into my classroom than DPS does, with the extras that I purchase [[novels, paper, pens, etc). I see no city resident donating anything to my classroom nor do I see many parents who make sure their kids have supplies needed for class. I am supposed to supply their children with the tools they need to do classwork. One parent told me not to assign so much work and I wouldn't need to supply so much stuff! REALLY?

I grew up in the city because of the residency requirements of the firefighters. Dad lived and worked in the city. When residency went out, we left. He ALWAYS put his heart and soul into his job to protect the city and his fellow co-workers, even when he didn't live in the city. He lost good friends to the job [[who died protecting the city and its residents). He later opened a business in the city, after he retired from the DFD. Living or not living in the city doesn't mean that you are going to protect it and its residents any more or less. I probably teach harder in the city and face many more issues than I would if I taught in the suburbs. I didn't even apply anywhere else, I always knew I wanted to give back to the community in which I grew up. Living in the city has nothing to do with my dedication to my students. I do, however, want to be safe and not have my stuff stolen and broken into...one teacher I know had her house [[in the city) broken into 5 times in a month and was forced to walk away from her house because never once did the police show up, despite the alarm being sounded on her house. She was afraid that someone would break in when she was home and kill her. I also like to have my trash picked up and I have no desire to live next to a vacant, burned out house with trash strewn about. I live right on the border of the city, though, close to the neighborhood where I grew up. Maybe, just maybe, if the city offered a little more to its residents, I would move back.

My childhood home was recently in foreclosure and was up for sale and I did think about buying it but then thought of all I would be giving up by moving back: higher insurance for my car, lack of city services [[my streets get plowed in the winter, garbage is picked up), police who are here in 2 minutes or less, fire department with WORKING equipment, ambulance service that is responsive and quick about it, I don't hear gunshots, I can leave my windows open at night and not worry about an intruder, parks that are clean and safe [[have you seen Rouge Park after a weekend? it's atrocious...does no one take trash bags and dispose of their own trash anymore??), ordinance codes that require my neighbors to cut their lawn and keep a clean environment and they are enforced...[[and yes, we all agree to abide by those codes if we want to live here), no stray dogs creeping about and holding me prisoner and if there are, animal control is here in about 10 minutes[[happened to a teacher who couldn't leave her house because of a stray pitbull that refused to leave her front yard and was viciously barking at her), and I could go on and on.
    You are my hero. Stay strong and safe.

Thank you but I really don't want to be anyone's hero. I love my kids [[students, as well as my own). I treat my students as if I gave birth to them. I see their success and failures. I watch them laugh and cry [[and join in when I feel the need). I attend funerals of students who are cut down too early in life. I comfort the kids who remain. I do my job because I love it and I love the kids. It doesn't matter where I live, it won't change my outlook on what I do every day and it won't change how hard I work for the KIDS. I stay in touch with my kids long after they graduate, celebrating the births of their children, mourning the deaths of parents, attending college graduations, and attend their class reunions so that I can show them how proud I am of them. Not all kids who attend DPS are slugs who can't achieve greatness. I have that faith and that belief that all of my kids have a chance to do great things...and most of them live up to those expectations.

Kids that survive the toughest of times and conditions and still come out on top are the real heros.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    You are my hero. Stay strong and safe.

I don't have a strong opinion on residency requirements other than I don't think that the state should be dictating them to local communities. But it seems to me that many of the problems that you highlighted may be ameliorated if more of the teachers and cops and firefighters did live in the city. These employees would be the heart of any community and their absence from the city definitely is doing the city harm.

Thank you deeply for your contributions to the city and its future.

How could anyone advocate a residency requirement after reading that post. Not because of Detroit's problems -- so well illuminated by DT. Because keeping someone who so obviously loves the City from making a contribution would be so wasteful. Don't build walls. Build bridges.

Again, thank you DT.

The attitude of many residents of the city about firefighters, cops, and teachers is horrible. I'd have to quit working in DPS and find other employment if residency were reinstated/enforced for public employees. I just can't risk my safety [[I live alone with two 4 legged children) for a job, albeit one that I love [[not so much the JOB, but the KIDS). I just can't live in a community that doesn't value its hardest workers [[and it's not the kids who don't value us, it's the adults). Just some of the slams teachers and other public workers have taken on THIS forum have reinforced that thought, for me. I don't see public services being improved even if we all lived in the city. It's not the workers that are screwing things up, it's the upper management. Not providing service isn't the fault of the cops, FFs, teachers, waste management, etc. It's the fault of the government that is overseeing these services, or lack thereof.
    If the city were a place I would feel safe to reside and would have the services that I enjoy now [[at a lower tax base, mind you), I'd be happy to move back to the city that I love. It's just not financially sound for me to move back because of all that I would be losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    I don't have a strong opinion on residency requirements other than I don't think that the state should be dictating them to local communities. But it seems to me that many of the problems that you highlighted may be ameliorated if more of the teachers and cops and firefighters did live in the city. These employees would be the heart of any community and their absence from the city definitely is doing the city harm.

I can provide you stories from the past about positive things that occured from the residency requirment. Situations that would not have been resolved if the DPD Officer didn't reside on the block. I believe a city should have the ability to dictate terms of employment in terms of residency and suffer the positive/negative consequences of the policy. The state should not interfere in that local matter.

However, with that being said I don't think the residency requirement is feasible now or probably over the past 30 years. The situation with DPS combined with how expensive private [[religious) schools are these days would reduce a limited applicant pool even further. In reality, the residency requirement by the 1980's was a joke. It was becoming an issue even for the Catholic city employees that had previously sent their kids to Catholic schools. Several schools had declining enrollments and had to close and then the parish in several cases followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Thank you deeply for your contributions to the city and its future.

How could anyone advocate a residency requirement after reading that post. Not because of Detroit's problems -- so well illuminated by DT. Because keeping someone who so obviously loves the City from making a contribution would be so wasteful. Don't build walls. Build bridges.

Again, thank you DT.

" I don't see public services being improved even if we all lived in the city. It's not the workers that are screwing things up, it's the upper management. Not providing service isn't the fault of the cops, FFs, teachers, waste management, etc. It's the fault of the government that is overseeing these services, or lack thereof. "

Upper management is allowed to screw things up because the elected officials don't care enough to make sure that they don't. If people lived in the city and participated in elections, you might get elected officials who cared to make sure things were run right. See how the mass exodus of middle class professionals from the city has hurt you as much as it hurts the city?

I, too, can provide plenty of examples of positive things that happened because of the residency requirement. My childhood was close to perfect because of it...the neighborhood in which I grew up was close-knit and everyone looked out for everyone [[you don't want to know how many surrogate parents I had) because we were a neighborhood filled with cops and firemen. Crime was non-existent in my neighborhood. Kids played outside without fear. Then again, people had respect for the jobs their neighbors held. The lack of respect for authority in the city is at an all time high and anyone would be hard pressed to get an off duty cop to intervene in a neighborhood situation, whether that cop lived there or not. I can just imagine a FF trying to put out a fire without any gear [[trucks, turnout gear, hoses, etc). Teachers in the neighborhoods would also be hard-pressed to invite or have kids over [[like happened in my neighborhood) because of the horror stories of sexual abuse accusations all over the news. Neighbors no longer want to be social with other neighbors and there is the mentality of people of authority "getting in the business" of others, no matter what the intent. I doubt, with the mind-set of most residents of the city, that having public employees in the neighborhoods would help improve those neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    I can provide you stories from the past about positive things that occured from the residency requirment. Situations that would not have been resolved if the DPD Officer didn't reside on the block. I believe a city should have the ability to dictate terms of employment in terms of residency and suffer the positive/negative consequences of the policy. The state should not interfere in that local matter.

However, with that being said I don't think the residency requirement is feasible now or probably over the past 30 years. The situation with DPS combined with how expensive private [[religious) schools are these days would reduce a limited applicant pool even further. In reality, the residency requirement by the 1980's was a joke. It was becoming an issue even for the Catholic city employees that had previously sent their kids to Catholic schools. Several schools had declining enrollments and had to close and then the parish in several cases followed.

and those elected officials live in the city...if THEY don't care, how are having cops/firemen/teachers living in the city going to make it better? It's the current citizens living in the city who are voting these yahoos in. A few hundred cops and firemen aren't going to swing the vote that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    " I don't see public services being improved even if we all lived in the city. It's not the workers that are screwing things up, it's the upper management. Not providing service isn't the fault of the cops, FFs, teachers, waste management, etc. It's the fault of the government that is overseeing these services, or lack thereof. "

Upper management is allowed to screw things up because the elected officials don't care enough to make sure that they don't. If people lived in the city and participated in elections, you might get elected officials who cared to make sure things were run right. See how the mass exodus of middle class professionals from the city has hurt you as much as it hurts the city?

"It's the current citizens living in the city who are voting these yahoos in. A few hundred cops and firemen aren't going to swing the vote that far."

You would be surprised by having a block of people voting and speaking out together can do. If you listen to the right-wing, it's the small number of union people that forced the city council, school board, etc. to agree to pay and benefits that the city couldn't afford. Some right-wingers believe that's true at all levels of government and want to ban public unions because they somehow have sway over elected officials that no other group had over them. Except for Matty Maroun. I don't buy that right-wing spin. But I do believe that if there were more teachers, police, fire, etc. living in the city, you would have a different set of elected officials making decisions that directly affect those employees.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Maybe the solution is a residence proximity bonus or proximity based pay initiatives. You want to live way out wherever? Ok. But don't expect to make as much as the guy who lives a mile away.
    When I started working for Wayne County over 20 yrs ago, there was a residency requirement in place. I was an Oakland County resident when hired, but had 6 mos to establish residency which I did. During the 1990s before the State changed the law, the residency requirement changed to where you could live in one of the 5 surrounding counties or Wayne County. However, if you wanted the chance to promote to a higher position, those with WC residency got preference over those who didn't. I know the unions had a hand in getting this changed, & as my memory serves me, the County's Civil Service Commission might have been in on it too.

Conceptually, residency requirements have their benefits primarily for the employer with the main one being more tax revenue. Does it provide for a more stable, positive community? I guess some areas do benefit, such as the much mentioned Copper Canyon, & Warrendale was doing alright too, if you have a good concentration of employees living there. Does it provide for better performing workers? I've not seen it. A person is going to be a good or poor worker based on their own work ethic & skill set which aren't determined by where you live.

Actually, I was thinking more of situations in neighborhoods that were NOT populated with city employees for the most part. However, I understand your point about sense of community in the neighborhoods with high concentrations of city employees. I knew someone who was a Detroit Police officer that lived at E.Grand Blvd. & Gratiot until 1968. He later moved to the area near St. John Hospital for various reasons. However, during the 15 years he lived at the Blvd. & Gratiot it sure as hell was not "Copper Canyon". Compared to most neighborhoods of Detroit even at that time it had a higher crime rate. He did a lot of things off duty to help his neighbors. Yes, it was definitely a different era. However, his presence there helped the neighborhood for several years. Some people stayed longer than otherwise because of his willingness not to look the other way when trouble happened.

However, I do agree the residency requirement wouldn't work today as stated previously in another post because of the education situation in Detroit. Furthermore, I agree with your comment about too many current residents not respecting authority, which presents other problems. I think in the past the residency requirement was useful, but as the city changed the policy lost its effectiveness.

I, too, can provide plenty of examples of positive things that happened because of the residency requirement. My childhood was close to perfect because of it...the neighborhood in which I grew up was close-knit and everyone looked out for everyone [[you don't want to know how many surrogate parents I had) because we were a neighborhood filled with cops and firemen. Crime was non-existent in my neighborhood. Kids played outside without fear. Then again, people had respect for the jobs their neighbors held. The lack of respect for authority in the city is at an all time high and anyone would be hard pressed to get an off duty cop to intervene in a neighborhood situation, whether that cop lived there or not. I can just imagine a FF trying to put out a fire without any gear [[trucks, turnout gear, hoses, etc). Teachers in the neighborhoods would also be hard-pressed to invite or have kids over [[like happened in my neighborhood) because of the horror stories of sexual abuse accusations all over the news. Neighbors no longer want to be social with other neighbors and there is the mentality of people of authority "getting in the business" of others, no matter what the intent. I doubt, with the mind-set of most residents of the city, that having public employees in the neighborhoods would help improve those neighborhoods.

Residency could [[and should) factor into keeping the knife from cutting pension and benefits too deep? IMNSHO: Current, existing and future are in play. Aren't they incentives anyway?

Unarguably we live in a new type of employment world, ...country, state.

Truth should also tell about the people that can't afford to live in the city[[not just leave the city). A lot 'em financially ...most mentally.

Detroit might have a chance to be the posterchild of change and choice.

People think neighborhoods would be safer if cops lived in them. But cops arexspecifucally prohibited from taking any action on their own. Police action must [[nearly without exception) be assigned by dispatch. So , let's say a kid is acting put, threatening, on the street. The resident police officer may only call dispatch. Cops don't/won't take personal action especially if their spouses or kids would be at risk the next time the officer left for work.
    This is just a different world than the world of 1960 Detroit.
    As for neighborhoods LOOKING better when the ops, firemen lived in them, better than now - well, again, I think the way a neighborhood looks is on the people who live there NOW.

Very true. Even the cops in my old neighborhood [[when I lived there) never got involved in anything unless they were dispatched and on duty. Nothing much ever happened because we were so afraid of making our parents look bad to the neighbors! The wrath of mother was a worse fear than dealing with cops. Crime was zero [[or close to it) because we all watched out for each others' houses [[and kids) and it was well known that it was a neighborhood filled with cops and firemen. I guess no one wanted to take a chance in walking in to a gun pointed at them [[or an angry mob of housewives outside). We knew who belonged in our neighborhood and who didn't. That isn't happening now, although it could. People just need to care, talk to their neighbors, and be aware of what's going on. This all happens in my current neighborhood. Funny and true story. My idiot son locked himself out of my house [[he did not reside in my home). He decided to climb through the window. The only one accessible was the side window. The lady next door just saw a butt and legs hanging out of my window. She called the cops. My son hadn't even shut the window and the cops were swarming the house. He had to show them pictures of him in my house to prove he wasn't a burglar [[while he was in handcuffs). He didn't have ID with my address on it. They called me anyway AND took him to the neighbor to verify that she knew him! That kind of stuff doesn't happen in the city. People tend to turn a blind eye and not want to get involved.

As far as neighborhoods looking better back then because of the cops and firemen...well, they all tried to outdo each other with the best lawn [[dad is still like that), most colorful flowers, cleanest drive, cleanest house, etc. a guy wouldn't be caught dead heading in to work and having the other guys talk smack about his house [[or his kids...we were expected to be on our best behavior). It was hard work for most guys. Most everyone worked a side business and after being at the engine house for a 24 hour shift, coming home [[or not) and then heading to job #2, little time was left for house upkeep. Somehow, dad did it [[and so did everyone else). He took pride in his house and family...and we took pride in dad!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    People think neighborhoods would be safer if cops lived in them. But cops arexspecifucally prohibited from taking any action on their own. Police action must [[nearly without exception) be assigned by dispatch. So , let's say a kid is acting put, threatening, on the street. The resident police officer may only call dispatch. Cops don't/won't take personal action especially if their spouses or kids would be at risk the next time the officer left for work.
    This is just a different world than the world of 1960 Detroit.
    As for neighborhoods LOOKING better when the ops, firemen lived in them, better than now - well, again, I think the way a neighborhood looks is on the people who live there NOW.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; June-16-12 at 05:24 PM.

Safer? Probably. Right or wrong, there's a good chance the response time would be different with officer Smith and his family on the block and making the call. ....even in a well functioning municipality theres a bump. Good chance the kid [[or the next one who tried that stunt) would know it too.

As for neighborhoods LOOKING better when the ops, firemen lived in them, better than now - well, again, I think the way a neighborhood looks is on the people who live there. NOW.
    ....agreed.

Police Officers, Firemen and Teachers probably make for great neighbors to live around. One could even wager that them living between other professionals and working people might just...improve a neighborhood.

Well, officer Smith's kids better watch out if the cops show up. Retribution is the law of the neighborhood now.

Cops now tend to not let too many people in the neighborhood know that they are cops. Too much retaliation, disrespect, and a chance that one's kids might be put in danger. My brother-in-law is a cop and no one in his neighborhood knows it. Too many people want too much advice or call on him [[in his old neighborhood, people did know he was a cop) to solve stupid disputes. He can't get involved, while off duty. Some people called dispatch and requested HIM to come...and he couldn't do that, either...it went to whomever was available. To put calling in a crime on a cop's family is just wrong. They shouldn't have to shoulder that just because there might be a faster response time [[there won't be).

Cops, firemen, and teachers don't want to be the people who have to move into a barren neighborhood just to make it look better. We prefer neighbors who already take care of their homes and community. I purchased my house because I liked the neighborhood. The house was just so-so and needed much more work inside than some other homes I looked at. It was the surrounding area that sold me. Neighbors taking care of their homes, the track record for police/fire/ems response, etc. made the deal, for me. Please don't make it OUR responsibility to improve a neighborhood. Perhaps if the neighborhoods [[and the views of the general public about us) improved, so would our attitude about living in them. If I were a cop's wife, I would steadfastly refuse to live in the city. When people hear you and/or your family are cops, they tend to make it unsafe for that family [[at least in the city). People are out to harm cops [[and firemen) if they feel that their privacy is being invaded...and having a cop living on the block is like sticking a "snitch" sign out in front of their house.

You got that right. Innocent people are getting killed in a hail of bullets in drive-bys, young women are getting kidnapped and killed, houses are getting firebombed. Those aren't even cop's homes. If someone knew you were a cop, or the kid of a cop, and were calling the cops [[or there was a stronger presence of cops coming by)...you are as good as dead.

Well, officer Smith's kids better watch out if the cops show up. Retribution is the law of the neighborhood now.

Damn...thats rough. What neighborhood is that? What neighborhood does our mythical Officer Smith live in? ...in your take on the narrative?

I know quite a few of "Officer Smith's" kids [[a few were even my students). What happens is real. They don't tell ANYONE that their father is a cop. Dad doesn't wear his uniform to work or home from work. No squad cars in the neighborhood. This happens all over...

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrixdale View Post
    Damn...thats rough. What neighborhood is that? What neighborhood does our mythical Officer Smith live in? ...in your take on the narrative?
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; June-16-12 at 08:45 PM.

Cops now tend to not let too many people in the neighborhood know that they are cops. Too much retaliation, disrespect, and a chance that one's kids might be put in danger. My brother-in-law is a cop and no one in his neighborhood knows it. Too many people want too much advice or call on him [[in his old neighborhood, people did know he was a cop) to solve stupid disputes. He can't get involved, while off duty. Some people called dispatch and requested HIM to come...and he couldn't do that, either...it went to whomever was available. To put calling in a crime on a cop's family is just wrong. They shouldn't have to shoulder that just because there might be a faster response time [[there won't be).

Cops, firemen, and teachers don't want to be the people who have to move into a barren neighborhood just to make it look better. We prefer neighbors who already take care of their homes and community. I purchased my house because I liked the neighborhood. The house was just so-so and needed much more work inside than some other homes I looked at. It was the surrounding area that sold me. Neighbors taking care of their homes, the track record for police/fire/ems response, etc. made the deal, for me. Please don't make it OUR responsibility to improve a neighborhood. Perhaps if the neighborhoods [[and the views of the general public about us) improved, so would our attitude about living in them. If I were a cop's wife, I would steadfastly refuse to live in the city. When people hear you and/or your family are cops, they tend to make it unsafe for that family [[at least in the city). People are out to harm cops [[and firemen) if they feel that their privacy is being invaded...and having a cop living on the block is like sticking a "snitch" sign out in front of their house.
    It's very prudent for a cop to underplay his profession to relieve a bunch of headaches. IT professionals do the same thing. But really, if the situation in Officer Smith's neighborhood is that "Boyz-in-the-hoodish" and the teenagers are running the block....then doesn't that mean that something went wrong when Officer Smith went to work?

Couldn't and wouldn't ever say it's any one professional groups responsibility. But if there's to be a reckoning in Detroit, we should take into account those employees that have "residency" skin in the game. Tax relief, different retirement structure ... something. Not as a punishment to those who choose to live elsewhere [[for whatever reason) but incentives for those that don't.

Let's say every resident employee or retiree added $1000 a year to the city's economy [[above pub crawls and concerts). Lets say the taxpayers have about 15,000 on the payroll. Again lets say that of those 15,000 1/2 live outside of the city. Is it strage that a taxpayer [[employer) and citizen [[customer) has expectations of that $7,500,000 to makes a difference in neighborhoods [[QOL) and ultimately the viability of an investment [[ROI).

GoGrix: Might make it easier to move back into the city if city services were already intact and not waiting on us. Also might make it more appealing if people's attitudes toward us changed for the better. I also don't want to go to work and wonder if my house is getting broken into because everyone knows exactly where I am. For DFD, they work 24 hour shifts. Everyone knows that. Leaving your home for 24 hours is risky in any neighborhood...especially if you live alone. DPD tried to GIVE houses away if cops moved back to the city. That program tanked...only a very few took advantage of the program. That says volumes. I'd rather have my life than an incentive upon retirement. I'd rather have my trash picked up and not worry about break ins than an incentive. I'd rather have EMS here if I am having a heart attack [[cops and firemen are at a high risk for such things) than to have an incentive.

And to answer your question about something going wrong when Officer Smith went to work...it's happening while he's home and he's powerless to do anything about it. It's not his own kids running amok. It's the thugs that feel some sort of loyalty to a street sign.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast