Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Palmer Park Log Cabin to open June 24

Last edited by WaCoTS; June-12-12 at 09:55 AM.

I have never understood the appeal of square dancing.

It was my least favorite activity through all my years of elementary, middle, and high school field trips.

Cool event though.

Another little victory! Great news. The Log Cabin was in severe condition the last time I photographed it a few years back. It seemed on the path to hopeless ruin, overgrown and with its chinking falling out.

I used to have dreams about being in that Cabin and there were Lions and Tigers outside.

Shollin Guest

I feel ashamed to admit that I did not know this building existed.

i sent them a check for $10 today. anyone who sends them $10 or more [[tax deductible) to help in the resto will receive a copy of the organizations book about the historic apt blgs of Palmer Park

Default Michigan's 26th Log Cabin Day

Today is Michigan's 26th Log Cabin Day. There are 105 log cabins on the list to visit today, including these in Southeast Michigan:

[[59) Flint. Crossroads Village. Celebration at the l840 Salter House, moved in 1995 from Greenfield Village. Live animals, spinning, weaving, and gardening. Take I-475 to either I-75 or I-69 to Saginaw St. take Saginaw St. north to Stanley Rd., then east on Stanley to Bray Rd., go south to village. Admission: adults $10. [[$13. with RR or boat, all three $16.), seniors $9. [[with RR or boat, $12., all three $15); children 4 to 12 $8.00 [[all three 12.50) Hours: l0 a.m. to 5 p.m. [[800) 648-7275 ext. 856, or [[810) 763-7100, ext. 856.
    [[60) Holly. Holly State Recreation Area & Seven Lakes State Park, Rolston Cabin [[l938, a rental cabin.) Open house. Take I-75 to exit 101, Grange Hall Rd., head east about 3 miles to McGinnis Rd., right 1/2 mile to cabin road [[entrance on right.) Hours: 1 to 5 p.m. [[248) 634-8811.
    [[61) Waterford. Log cabin on grounds of Waterford Twp. Historical Society headquarters. Vintage cars, living history encampment - l8l7, strawberry shortcake, sundaes, crafts - spinning, quilting, etc., dancers, D.A.R. booth, stamp cancellation, white elephant sale. From Flint go south on I-75 to exit 93, southeast on Dixie Hwy. [[Rt. 24) 4.8 miles, go right on Hatchery Rd. for 0.6 miles to 4490 Hatchery Rd. Big white house and log cabin on hill next to a pond.Log Cabin Days both Saturday and Sunday, June 27-28. Hours l0 a.m. to 5 p.m. [[248) 683-2697 or e-mail: strait649@comcast.net
    [[62) Waterford. Drayton Plains Nature Center has two log cabins, one built in 1939 and the other in 1976, reconstruction of a dirt-floor prairie log cabin. Located at 2125 Denby Drive, Waterford. Hours: 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. For more information call [[248) 674-2119.

[[63) Troy. Troy Museum and Historic Village, 1820's period log cabin moved from Monroe Co. Spinning and tours. Located at 60 Wattles Rd. [[17 Mile Rd.) just west of Livernois. See Internet www.ci.troy.mi.us/museum/museum Hours 1to 5 p.m. [[248) 524-3570.

[[65) Stockbridge. Waterloo Area Farm Museum with old l850s log cabin in Jackson Co. Blacksmiths, Soldiers, and Log Cabin Weekend. Pioneer family in log house, Michigan Aid Society will give re-enactment of traditions of mourning during the Civil War era, tours of farmhouse. The museum is at 9998 Waterloo- Munith Rd. 3 miles north of the village of Waterloo. Take exit l53 off I-94, follow Clear Lake Rd. to the village, turn left on Waterloo Rd., go 3 miles to museum. Admission, adults $4.00, seniors $3.00, children 5- 17, $2.00. Hours: 10 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday. [[517) 596-2254. web site at http://www.waterloofarmmuseum.org/

[[68) Ann Arbor. Cobblestone Farm log cabin, ca. l835. Now called the "Willis Log Cabin," it was moved from Willis, Mich. on property owned by Lucy Look and her son, or possibly the Harris family. Take I-94 exit 177, Ann Arbor State St. exit, go north on to State St., turn east on Eisenhower at light. Go two miles, turn north on Packard to 2781 Packard. Admission $2.00 for adults, $1.50 for children 4 to 17. Hours: 12 to 3 p.m. [[734) 994-2928.

[[69) Taylor. Log cabin of the Taylor Historical Society,
    originally a sod-covered house, newly restored. Tours, exhibits, refreshments. Taylor is located between Ann Arbor and Dearborn. For more information call George Gouth, Pres. at [[734) 287-3835.

[[70) Dearborn. At Greenfield Village, log cabins on Maple Lane include the McGuffey birthplace log cabin and school and the George Washington Carver Memorial built in 1929 by Henry Ford.
    On I-94 take M-24 [[Telegraph Rd.) exit, go east to US-12 [[Michigan Ave.) to the entrance of The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. Admission $12.50, $1l.50 seniors 62 & older, $6.25 for children 5 to 12; children 4 and under, free. Admission to The Henry Ford also is $22 for adults and $11 for children, 5-12. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. In area codes 313 & 810 call 271-1260 or 1-800-DETROIT.
    [[71) Wyandotte. Log cabin built in 1942 at Bishop's Park on the banks of the Detroit River. Restored by members of the Wyandotte Owners Restorers Club, the cabin is now maintained by the Wyandotte museum and owned by the city. Take I-75 north going to Detroit, exit Eureka Rd. or North Line Rd. north. Located at Detroit River between Oak and Superior Blvd. . [[734) 324-7283 or [[734) 324-7284.

[[74) Grosse Pointe. Restored log cabin [[ca. 1830-70) behind the Provencal-Weir house with Grosse Pointe Historical Society sign. It was believed to have been the home of a homesteader in Macomb County and moved in 1938 to the rear of Christ Episcopal Church in Grosse Pointe and used by Boy Scouts. It was moved on May 17, 1997 [[logs disassembled) and reconstructed and restored between Sept. 1998 and Jan. 1999 by members of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society. Take I-94 to Moross exit east, turn left, cross Mack - 2 lights, go left on Kercheval to the museum - 3rd house on right, 381 Kercheval. Hours: 1 to 5 p.m. Ph. [[313) 885-9241 or [[810) 445-0041. Call first.
    [[75) Detroit. Palmer Park log cabin [[1885) built as summer home for Senator Thomas W. Palmer and his wife Lizzie. Pond in front of house has lighthouse. Only log cabin in Detroit, it is near south entrance of the park. Go leftward around lake at the end of a winding trail. Palmer Park is located west of Woodward Ave. between McNichols [[Six Mile Rd.) and Seven Mile Rd. Take 1-94 into Detroit, take the exit going north, then exit on Woodward. Go north past McNichols intersection [[no left turn), go two short blocks to a turn-around on Woodward, then across to park. Open morning to dusk.
    [[76) Southfield. Log cabin built in 1939 - l941, now used as law office of Atty. James Schuster at 24330 Lahser St. 1/4 mile south of Ten Mile Rd. intersection. Located a mile east of US-24. Visible from road, no open house. [[810) 356-3500. [Pioneer style cabin was built of local timbers felled to clear the way for local houses. Log Cabin Historic District of Southfield]
    [[77) Clinton Township. Williams Log Cabin [[1830s) next to the Clinton Township Offices, moved from intersection of Canal and Romeo Plank roads across the street and maintained by the Greater Clinton Historical Society. See: www.ctwphc.org [[586) 286-9173.
    [[78) Algonac-Clay Township [[or Pearl Beach). An l830's log cabin maintained by the Algonac-Clay Township Historical Society. It is located 3 miles south of Algonac on M-29 on the St. Clair River. Crafts, farm equipment, ice cream social, games. Directions from Detroit: take I-94 to 23 Mile Rd. exit towards New Baltimore and Algonac. Stay on M-29 about 3 miles past [[north of) Colony Tower. Cabin is behind Clay Twp. City Hall at 4710 Pte. Tremble Rd., Algonac. Hours: 1 to 4 p.m. [[810) 794-9015.
    [[78a) Wales Township. Mudge Log Cabin [[1860s) built by Civil War surgeon, Dr. Isaac Mudge. The cabin was removed from the Mudge farm [[St. Claire County) and is now located Goodells County Park. The cabin was dismantled and restored over a three year period by St. Claire County Parks and Recreation. It will be celebrated as a log cabin heritage event on Saturday, June 25 [[not Sunday, June 26) The event will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For direction contact http://www.stclaircounty.org/offices...ions_large.pdf or contact Dennis Delor at St. Clair Co. Parks and Recreation at [[810) 989-6929.
    [[79) Richmond. The Donley Log Cabin [[1853) recently moved by the Richmond Historical Society to the Historical Village at Bailey Memorial Park, next to a one-room schoolhouse and train station. The log cabin was nearly lost in a fire before being moved here. Planned for 2011: St. Clair Voyageurs and ACWSA [[ American Civil War Shooters Assoc.) and cannon. On I-94 going from Detroit towards Port Huron, take Richmond/New Haven exit, go north to Gratiot Ave., turn right [[east) and come into Richmond on M-19, turn left at Park St. and look for the big city clock turn right and go two more blocks. Hours: 12 to 4 p.m. For more information, librarianlori@yahoo.com
    [[80) Macomb. A new Rocky Mountain Log Home, built by Tom Trammel. Take M-29 west from I-94, go left on Hallenius Rd., then left on Ridge Rd., located at 52631 Stagg Ridge Rd. Call first, [[888) 554-7393.
    [[81) Port Huron. On the grounds of the Port Huron Museum is the Kammer family log cabin built around 1854. The museum is at 1115 Sixth St. Hours: 1 to 4:30 p.m. [[810) 982-0891.

Get the entire list here:

http://www.qtm.net/logcabincrafts/brochure2012.htm
    Last edited by gazhekwe; June-24-12 at 11:13 AM.

Congratulations to the People for Palmer Park. I know I was tough on them about the apple orchard, but it really is wonderful to see people taking a serious interest in renovating one of the city's great historic parks. So, thank you for all of your work. A check is headed your way!

The Log Cabin in particular is a little special to me. For those who may not know or remember, Gov. Palmer's log cabin was once considered a major attraction in the Detroit area and was a big destination for picnickers, etc. back in the early decades of the 20th century. It was at the edge of the city then, out where the "country" began, and Woodward street cars [[with the destination sign "Log Cabin") carried thousands out there to Palmer Park every weekend.

My mother and her family were among those thousands. They picnicked in Palmer Park on most warm Sundays, and the log cabin is in the background of some of their family pictures. My mother worked at the log cabin as a youth employee of Parks & Rec., and worked as a councilor at the nearby day camp for city kids, when she was a teenager. She also learned to skate on the log cabin pond, which eventually led to her becoming a competitive figure skater.

Oh, but those driving directions to Palmer Park and the log cabin posted above are a little cockamamie. It's like no one ever learned about the existence of the Chrysler Fwy. [[I-75), the Davison Fwy., or 8 Mile or 6 Mile. Makes for a nice long lovely drive up Woodward though.

Several pics of the cabin from Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images                              

The one image that did not make it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The one image that did not make it.
    So who was the Architect?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    So who was the Architect?

You gotta love it only Palmer would get Mason & Rice to design a log cabin.