Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit civil rights champion was in the KKK

Hmmmm...guess you never know who you're dealing with:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...fe-as-Klansman

Very odd. One thought is that he might have been an informant for the FBI.

More will come out about Burwell. Meanwhile, celebrate the man for the good he did. It seems, at least at present, the good he did far outweighs the bad. As far as 'Dis'Honest John's comments go, consider the source.

little crazy how he died.

Yeah, interesting article.

I also found it odd that they met at a Slovak hall. It just seems ironic that an anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant organization would hold meetings at a social hall created by a predominantly Catholic immigrant group. If the Slovaks knew what was going on, that must have made for some interesting conversations between them and the KKK. "You dirty papist Slavs need to get out of our country! By the way, is the hall available next Thursday night?"

It doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't the KKK drum him out if they knew the good he was doing in the black community?

If any actions he conducted as a member of the KKK actually adversely impacted the community, then those can be weighed too. Just attending the meetings, weighed against the good he did, doesn't seem to mean that much.

What's interesting from that article:

Two Klan officials in Michigan -- Randy Gray of the Midland chapter and Phil Lawson in Fraser -- say they have seen membership grow in recent years, while a Southern Poverty Law Center report says the number of hate groups in the state fell by three to 23 in 2008.

It puts a name on the Fraser KKK chapter we were discussing in that other thread. That makes it sound as if there is really a KKK chapter in Fraser, and not just a mailing address as we suspected. And I know a family of Lawson's in Fraser --- not going to jump to any conclusions, just saying, you can't help but wonder. Fraser is, after all, pretty small...

Retroit Guest

Wow, just think, maybe some of the Race Mongers in Detroit really like white people.

Maybe he was a double agent. Informant for the FBI. He then acted as a Klansman for the KKK. He rose to a top rank, and was responsible for the inner working. He then laundered money for the Klan, while informing the FBI the who's, what's and when's. He then helped the community, so his business would look legit in the public's eyes, while he was laundering money for the Klan, and being an informant. This is all just a theory.

-Tahleel

crazy... the types of people out there..

I guess it's fair to consider the good he did along with the bad, but these theories that he was just working as an informant seem extremely far-fetched.

First, the KKK would have been aware of what he was doing in the community, so one would imagine he would be highly scrutinized if anyone had any reason to suspect he was working for the law. Second, I would think the FBI would step up and at least tell his wife that he wasn't actually an avowed racist but working for them. They would have no interest in hiding the nature of his work for them today.

Judging by all the evidence, there is no reason not to believe he was a member of the Clan. And whatever good works he may have done, that organization's record speaks for itself. I don't think there's much moral gray ground here.

What's done in darkness will be brought to the light, I guess!