Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The North East LP might be your best bet to stay in budget, stay within your traveling distance and still find some places on the water. Tawas and Oscoda have always been favorites of mine and the tourism has been a bit depressed on that side of the state for a while, so affordable accommodations will be much easier to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint Patty View Post
    Detroit is out of the question. Not taking my Grandson there. No disrespect intended.
    What exactly does your one year old grandson know about Detroit?

The west coast of the state is probably a better bet to be able to do all the things that you listed.
    You can do all those things on the eastern side with the possible exception of the children's museum, although in my experience kids like the Besser Museum in Alpena. I will admit that there is a higher density of quaint shops on the western side, but it's a longer drive from Ohio and tends to be a bit more expensive. If you want to eat out, the western side has better restaurants. If you want to shop, it has higher-end stores. But you can do your basic Michigan stuff on either shore.

I would say that Traverse City is one of the best places to visit in the Midwest. Gorgeous beaches [[super clear and shallow water for the 1 y.o.), Sleeping Bear dunes, sailing, shopping, dining, wineries... TC is really an amazing place.

Saugatuck Michigan = Lake Michigan's Oval Beach, dune buggy rides, small town charm, great art, great shops, kilwins fudge, duck water rides etc etc etc...

There are so many suggestions and ideas. If you want to go to Mack Island, you do not have to wait for some special event to go. Anytime during the summer will have a lot to do. If you have AAA you can get discounts on many things such as ferry rides and hotels in St. Ignace or Mack City. There is no need to spend a night on the island itself. You can plan to see much of it in one day, and the hotels on the island themselves are quite expensive. You can get a package at the State Parks which will get you into two forts, a lighthouse and a recreated sawmill. In addition, the visitors bureau up there also offers packages that include lodging.
    http://www.mackinacparks.com/admissi...,1,3,1110,1116
    I have personally found this hotel to be a great value. http://www.mackinaw-city.com/hotels/econolodge/

The Sleeping Bear Dunes is a treasure. Pierce Stocking Drive will get you to see some incredible vistas, if the child is walking he will enjoy th dune climb area. Small beach towns abound in the Leelenau Penninsula. I hesitate to name a few of them as I will no dount leave off a few that others may find more interesting. Traverse City is a congested mess of a town. While it does have some nice views of the bays, it is generally something I try to drive thru to get to better places. This makes a good day trip. I would suggest if you are trying to stay to a budget find a place to stay within driving distance such as Kalkaska, Gaylord, or Grayling as Traverse City/Sleeping Bear/Leelanu is fairly expensive.

Please note that all of Detroit and its environs is not a run down mess or unsafe. Places such as the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Henry Ford, and Detroit Zoo are not run down or unsafe in the least and are all world class. While the Detroit Zoo may no longer have elephants it does have a knock your socks off polar bear, ape, and amphibian exhibits.

As above mentions, the Sunrise side is also a good alternative. Things there are a lot less developed, more affordable, and there are still wonderful beaches. Highlights include beaches, AuSable River Drive, lakeside parks.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-05-12 at 02:44 PM.

I am just trying to do something besides staying in Ohio. I have done so much here in Ohio. Looking for something different.

Detroit scares me because of the crime and abandonment. I would love to see the Riverfront and GM headquarters but my nerves are shot and I want to be safe. I have seen the Pure Michigan ads and want to check out the state's offerings. I get tired of the Michigan-Ohio pettyness. I may consider stopping by Detroit but the residents must make their city less threatening.

Sorry for any disrespect. I appreciate all suggestions.
    I've got a suggestion, why don't you just stay in nice, safe Ohio, wouldn't want to fray your nerves.

Fishing, hiking, cycling, shopping at quaint shops, child museum, possible boating and jet skiing, swimming and relaxing away from city life. This is what I am seeking.

I suggest East Tawas and Oscoda.

Although I don't fish, my cousins say that it is good in either Lake Huron or the small lakes and streams in the area.

My brother likes to take Monument Road from East Tawas to the Lumberman's monument at the Au Sable river. It is a great ride on a quiet road through the wood. About 15 miles one way.

There are a bunch of hiking trails along the Au Sable along the dam road starting as you get past the Oscoda High School.

Main Street in East Tawas has a bunch of quaint shops. Oscoda has a bookstore with publications dedicated to Michigan or the Great Lakes.

I dont' know about child museums.

Jet Skis can be rented from a resort that sits on the North End of Oscoda past the Catholic Church on US-23.

Swimming is some of the best in the world. My favorite is the roadside park about 3 miles north of Oscoda. One can go for a very long walk in either direction. The city park in Oscoda off of Main Street has a very nice beach with showers and rest rooms. East Tawas State Park is gorgeous, but requires an entrance fee.

I would suggest staying at one of the roadside cottages along US-23 or the Rest-All Inn. Do not be put off by the Rest All. The beach that they have access to is great. It also has a little playground for kids and a miniature golf up the road.

The Au Sable has swimming access, kayak-canoe rentals, and a little Ferry Boat.

Nature loving hikers can drive to the Tuttle Marsh.

If one needs a gym, Huron Sport and Fitness is well equipped. They also rent bikes.

It is a low cost, laid back area.

East Tawas also puts on a decent fireworks.

I caution that the week of July 1 to July 7 tends to be booked solid.

East Tawas is about four hours driving from the Michigan-Ohio border.

I presently own a vacation home about 7 miles south of Oscoda off of US-23 by Ausable Point. There is nothing more relaxing than a mid-afternoon nap after swimming in the cool waters of Lake Huron.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaspen View Post
    I've got a suggestion, why don't you just stay in nice, safe Ohio, wouldn't want to fray your nerves.
    Way to go tvaspen! You're trying to be understanding and helpfull - right?
    My suggestion is to head east to Port Huron and then take M25 up the coastline in the Thumb area of Michigan. You'll be in and out of access to the water. Plenty of small towns and villages, antique shops [[for your daughter), marinas and beaches on the way to Bay City. Fishing also if you're into it. Once in a while if you check your map, you can cut inland to a town that sounds interesting if only by it's name and then back to M25. Plenty of inexpensive restaurants and motels and beautiful farm land. Not very touristy once you get above Port Huron - Lexington. You can still check out the Ren Cen and GM Hdqts and the water front and then head out to Port Huron - freeway access is right there. South from Bay City on I75 make a stop at Frankenmuth for chicken and Bonner's Christmas Store. Google all these places you see on your map for things I haven't mentioned. Have a good trip and take plenty of photographs and post them on this forum for us.

Detroit is out of the question. Not taking my Grandson there. No disrespect intended.
    I am just trying to do something besides staying in Ohio. I have done so much here in Ohio. Looking for something different.

Detroit scares me because of the crime and abandonment. I would love to see the Riverfront and GM headquarters but my nerves are shot and I want to be safe. I have seen the Pure Michigan ads and want to check out the state's offerings. I get tired of the Michigan-Ohio pettyness. I may consider stopping by Detroit but the residents must make their city less threatening.

Sorry for any disrespect. I appreciate all suggestions.
    You want to be safe. If you had done an iota of research before asking everyone here on this DETROIT message board to do it for you, you would have quickly learned that downtown Detroit is as safe as any other American downtown.

I've been to New Orleans, Miami, and Chicago - three "dangerous" cities. They were also three of the most worthwhile cities I have ever been to [[God, especially New Orleans, which is easily the most dangerous). Would you skip those too, because of fear? Here is a little parenting advice: why don't you teach your little tykster to enjoy the world at a young age rather than be afraid of it?

I am a resident of this city. I have a well-kept home complete with a flower garden. The neighbors come over for barbeques. I like classical music and herbal tea. Not sure what I must do to be less-threatening to you. Quite unsure how to make you believe me that I have no desire to murder your family.

I certainly don't hang out in shady places, and like ever other city in the world, neither do most tourists.

Frankly, I don't care. Detroit is "out the question" and it seems you are so tightly clutching your prejudices that I won't bother rattling off all the incredible, mindblowing sites in this city [[which also could have been found with very little research). You're visiting the state and avoiding its largest city. Whatever floats your boat, pal. Bugger off. Offense intended.

I just feel lucky now to have had badass, nazi-fighting, Detroit-loving grandparents who weren't afraid of anything, as far as I can surmise. I guess this country made it to the moon and then just stopped trying. NO OFFENSE, OF COURSE.
    Last edited by poobert; June-05-12 at 01:26 PM.

Again, thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

I am just wanting to do something different for a nice, simple getaway. I did not mean to come off as a Detroit basher. I do want to visit [[and will visit) the GM Headquarters and the waterfront. I even made reservations for the Detroit Princess. But I don't want to stay in Detroit all week and worry about the crime. That is not something I have to worry about and I am not going on vacation and worry about it either.

It is a shame because for those who are bashing me for having legitimate concerns are doing very little to act as an ambassador for their state [[that could benefit from out of state tourist dollars).

Regardless of the negativity, I know that I am going to have a wonderful relaxing time--even on my limited budget!

It is a shame because for those who are bashing me for having legitimate concerns are doing very little to act as an ambassador for their state [[that could benefit from out of state tourist dollars).
    Yeah, God help us if you and your 1500 bucks decide to vacation somewhere else because of some mean people on the Internet.

Regardless of the negativity, I know that I am going to have a wonderful relaxing time--even on my limited budget!
    Negativity? Lady, you come on a Detroit-centered site and basically say you're not going to visit Detroit because you're sure it'll be a negative experience. Then when people bristle a bit at this blanket condemnation, you draw yourself up in umbrage at the "negativity"? Tell us to be better ambassadors? I'm sorry, but that's just rich.

I mean, if you said you were leery of Detroit, you'd probably have an outpouring of reasons to visit here, all the good-ambassador behavior you could stand. I think it's the fact that you're not even willing to consider Detroit that is giving us the eye-rolls, OK?

Have a nice trip.

For petes sakes stop bashing the poor lady. You are not convincing her that Detroit is not an angry hostile place by your attitudes.

Patty I apologize on behalf of the civilized people on this board for the outburst of a vocal and intolerant few.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Patty I apologize on behalf of the civilized people on this board for the outburst of a vocal and intolerant few.
    I second this Patty. It's great that you will be visiting Detroit for a short time, but the richness and beauty of Up North and Lake Michigan is not to be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    For petes sakes stop bashing the poor lady. You are not convincing her that Detroit is not an angry hostile place by your attitudes.
    DP, I'm not bashing the lady. First of all, bashing somebody is not permitted on this board. I didn't call anybody any names or insult anybody. Second of all, I think it's a pretty decorous post, actually. I'm explaining to her that she probably didn't do herself any favors the way she phrased things. Where's the anger? Where's the hostility? I'm sorry, DP, I just don't see any. I see a little well-deserved chiding, not a full-on thermonuclear flame war.

Anyway, who made YOU hall monitor?

Oh gee, so sorry, I should be stripped of my Ambassadorship, I'll return the checks immediately. In the meantime I have to get ready to go to Greektown for dinner and then to the Joe to see Roger Waters perform The Wall. Hell's yeah!

Why is this even on the Detroit board?

And yes disrespect is taken!

Come on up, Patty, enjoy the state. Detroit has some nice parts but 80% - 90% of it is pretty scary looking, particularly if you don't know it well. I can understand why you don't want to spend your whole vacation in a place where a couple wrong turns will put you in an area where you might fear for your safety.

To the Detroitists, back off. Not everyone wants to experience urban grittiness, or finds it invigorating. Some times people just want a no hassle vacation. She knows she won't have to worry about her family's safety in Charlevoix, Grand Haven, or Mackinac. Parts of Detroit are really, really bad. Depressing. Fear-inducing. Unsafe. And that's coming from a Detroit-lover.

[QUOTE=BRAZZMAN;323738]Way to go tvaspen! You're trying to be understanding and helpfull - right?
    Absolutely!I wouldn't want the poor lady to get the vapors...

My reservations about visiting Detroit came from former DETROITERS now living in Ohio [[who state that they are breathing a sigh of relief after leaving). I went to them FIRST and asked them about visiting Michigan and they told me to avoid Detroit at all costs and they shared these terrific horror stories which did not help. On top of that I looked at the news and was flabbergasted. So my anxiety was not unfounded. I did go to the Pure Michigan website as suggested and I was pleasantly surprised by some of the offerings hence my change of heart and decision to visit the downtown area only. I am sure that I will have a great time but I will not venture from the downtown area. If all goes well, I am sure that I will want to visit Detroit again but for right now I need wilderness and relaxation. I normally have just been posting in the non-Detroit side because I know that I am not from Detroit. But I decided to come to this side of the forum just to ask for suggestions. Thankfully, in the midst of my ignorance and other's defensiveness, I was able to pull together a budget-friendly Michigan vacation and that is all I am looking forward to right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Come on up, Patty, enjoy the state. Detroit has some nice parts but 80% - 90% of it is pretty scary looking, particularly if you don't know it well. I can understand why you don't want to spend your whole vacation in a place where a couple wrong turns will put you in an area where you might fear for your safety.

To the Detroitists, back off. Not everyone wants to experience urban grittiness, or finds it invigorating. Some times people just want a no hassle vacation. She knows she won't have to worry about her family's safety in Charlevoix, Grand Haven, or Mackinac. Parts of Detroit are really, really bad. Depressing. Fear-inducing. Unsafe. And that's coming from a Detroit-lover.
    Stop trying to be a hero. You certainly don't sound like a "Detroit lover". I'm not a "Detroitist" [[whatever the hell that is) I am a Detroiter. I bitch about Detroit all the time, and frankly I have no interest in the "gritiness" [[again, whatever that means; I eat grits, does that make me gritty?). If by that you mean blight, no, I don't have an interest in that. I like the cultural and historic aspects of Detroit, which are plentiful.

However Detroit is a fine place to spend a weekend or a day. No one is telling this person to move here. Going on a road trip in the first place and simply driving around is statistically far more dangerous than going to Detroit for a few hours. If you really believe Detroit is that dangerous that a day trip to is a "hassle" "fear-inducing" or "unsafe" then you're not much of a Detroit-lover. This isn't Mogadishu. A wrong turn will not kill you here. Ever, unless you go around making enemies. I have probably been down a majority of the streets of the city in the past 30 years [[all very 'dangerous' years) and somehow escaped with my life.

Again, New Orleans is also probably majority blighted and "dangerous." Yet I firmly believe every American should experience it or they're missing out on life. Detroit isn't quite so dramatic, but quite worthwhile.

This is DetroitYes. Don't knock us from defending our city, quite within reason. Even the OP backpedalled.

Yeah, I'd recommend a stop in Detroit for part of a day - check out the DIA, the main branch of the Detroit Public Library, and the Detroit Historical Museum while you're on your way up I-75. All are within walking distance from one another. You could even go to the MoCAD if you're feeling adventurous, or maybe bowl at The Majestic [[although maybe not since you have a small child). Then get some dinner and head back on the freeway. In the process, you and your daughter will gain some valuable perspectives on Detroit. And don't worry, you'll be safe in that area along Woodward - no one will mug you or whatever else you're afraid of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast