Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It's dysfunctional boardering on schizophrenic. You're from Detroit, yet you're not!

However if Detroit had as many residents as they had people who actually said they're from "Detroit" the coffers would be overflowing, the city would be repopulated, and most of the current problems would virtually disappear. Alas, Detroit has far too many boosters and not enough residents.

I resent those who claim they're "from Detroit" when they're out of town. It's inaccurate. I don't see what is so hard about saying "Metro Detroit" or "the suburbs of Detroit" or "just outside Detroit". It's called being a poseur. Yet these are the first people who, when back home, will jump and scream about how different Warren is from Detroit and how they would never actually live in Detroit [[despite paradoxically claiming to be from there), as we have seen from recent threads.

I ran into some dumpy tourist on a plane who said she was "from Detroit" and she talked about how bad things are there. Upon futher investigation, she was from Waterford, which, in relation to Detroit, may as well be Mars. Of course she's qualified to talk to people about how mean our streets are. Now if she had just told me she was from Waterford in the first place she could have saved me the trouble and I would have known to ignore her right away.
    Ok Eminem...

People who live in the metro area can say Detroit all they want. If you live in the burbs of any city anywhere its all the same. If I said I was from Rockwood MI nobody would know what the hell I was talking about. But the fact I am 10 or 15 minutes from the city means nothing to me. 10 minutes from Chicago, you still say you are from Chicago.

Get over it.

New York is another story. If you're from Brooklyn, you say your from Brooklyn. Queens is a toss up, don't know about the Bronx. No one admits to being from Staten Island. Manhattanites, of course, are from New York, or just "The City," and they barely put up with people from the other boroughs saying they are from New York. If you're from Long Island, Yonkers or Hackensack and claim you're from "New York," you might just end up in the East River