Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thanks for replying MPD! I should have sat in one at the auto show... now I can't do it in peace without a hungry sales person all over me. So is the foot area flat or curve scooped like the Taurus and Sable tend to be... that is an issue of how the car is "carved" out on the inside relative to interior space rather than seat configuration... The Honda Civic and Chevy Impala do a great job in that regards. Let me know your thoughts... Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparDan View Post
    Zach, I drove another one yesterday on a 400 mile trip. I'm 5'11" & believe the key to being comfortable is leaning the seat back a few extra degrees. This allowed me to sit more naturally without the headrest irritating me. It also helped me not feel as cramped while driving; two co-workers[[male & female) flat out don't like them. I just asked her your question & she tends to agree with your assessment[[she's about 5'7"). The other co-worker is about 5'9" just for the record.

It has good acceleration & the MPG was better than on the one we drove recently. I'm not slamming the vehicle or dissuading anyone from driving or buying one. At this moment, I just prefer the Impala over the Fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Thanks for replying MPD! I should have sat in one at the auto show... now I can't do it in peace without a hungry sales person all over me. So is the foot area flat or curve scooped like the Taurus and Sable tend to be... that is an issue of how the car is "carved" out on the inside relative to interior space rather than seat configuration... The Honda Civic and Chevy Impala do a great job in that regards. Let me know your thoughts... Thanks.
    Zach, I'll be doing another 400+ mile trip tomorrow & have drawn a Fusion yet again. I'll check that "scooped" effect for myself when I do. I have a feeling this is one of those vehicles that has to grow on you. When we had the last iteration of the Intrepid some years back, I had to get accustomed to the high deck & it seemed I was always adjusting the rearview mirror because of it. Nothing like the '96 ES I had which gave you excellent visibility all around.
    I still want a Challenger RT but have to get the kids off the payroll before that happens.

Ok...I believe the "scoop" effect you're experiencing is because of the kick panel width. When I placed my left foot on the dead pedal, I could feel the panel pressing against my leg. It felt a little awkward but that was about it.
    Again by adjusting the seat back a few degrees, I found a "sweet spot" as far as being comfortable. As I wrote in the previous post, I think this is one of those cars that has to grow on you.

Chrysler negotiating to buy SHAP
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ng-to-buy-shap

Chrysler is negotiating with Old CarCo and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to buy the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant. The move would save some 1,200 jobs that would otherwise have been eliminated at the end of this year.

Ram claims Motorweek’s Drivers’ Choice Award
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...s-choice-award

The Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 have been named Best Pickup in Motorweek’s 2010 Drivers’ Choice Awards. This is the second consecutive year the Ram has earned this title.
    The annual Drivers’ Choice Awards are based on the buyer’s point of view. MotorWeek, television’s original television magazine, looks at innovations and buying trends and product innovations giving them a major influence in the selection process.
    “The Ram Truck Brand is proud to win this award,” said Fred Diaz, CEO – Ram Truck Brand. “It takes teamwork to build great trucks like the Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500. The success of Ram Trucks in the market — and big awards like MotorWeek’s Drivers’ Choice — reflect the hard work of designers, engineers, product planners, assembly workers and many others.”

Gilles: Viper may return, Fiat 500 in 2010
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...at-500-in-2010

"Gilles, head of Dodge and Chrysler’s most well-known current stylist, said that engineers were still working on plans for a next generation Viper. He pointed out that while the low-volume car is not a priority, it has a halo effect, and tends to represent Dodge in video games."

"The primary effort is around the midsized segment, where Chrysler used to dominate with its Valiant, Dart, and Duster. Numerous mid-20s designers have been hired to help understand their segment of the market."

"As announced earlier, Chrysler is also prepping Toluca to build the Fiat 500 on the same line as the Dodge Journey; it will replace the PT Cruiser there. Gilles said it would be on sale within calendar year 2010, as a 2011 model [[the first cars are expected to be imported)."

Chrysler asks Sterling Heights for more time
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...-for-more-time

"Chrysler Group is asking the city of Sterling Heights for another extension of the deadline for the purchase of the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant. At stake are millions of dollars in important abatements the company hopes to preserve."

"Chrysler is the largest taxpayer in Sterling Heights and generates an estimated $500 million in total impact on the community."

"The Sterling Heights plant builds the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger. It was slated to be closed at the end of this year and so was left with other unneeded assets when Chrysler Group emerged from bankruptcy in June last year. Revised product planning now calls for the plant to remain open at least through the 2012 model year and possibly longer, depending on new product assignments."

Chrysler hopes to buy one plant, sell another
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...t-sell-another

"Chrysler Group received a two-week extension from the city of Sterling Heights to complete a purchase of the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant [[SHAP) from Old CarCo. The automaker had been given a deadline of February 16 to complete the purchase and qualify for $8.2 million in tax abatements but requested the extra time due to the complexity of the deal. The new deadline is March 2, 2010."

"It looks like Old CarCo will get to sell another plant. Twinsburg Industrial Park, LLC [[TIP), a Cleveland, Ohio-based consortium, has offered $27.5 million for the two-million-square-foot Twinsburg Stamping Plant. The court approved the sale on February 12 and TIP has tendered a $2.75 million deposit."

Cool, thanks for the details. I want one of these cars. Will try to rent one the next time I go on a road trip... to really get a "feel" for it.......
    Ok...I believe the "scoop" effect you're experiencing is because of the kick panel width. When I placed my left foot on the dead pedal, I could feel the panel pressing against my leg. It felt a little awkward but that was about it.
    Again by adjusting the seat back a few degrees, I found a "sweet spot" as far as being comfortable. As I wrote in the previous post, I think this is one of those cars that has to grow on you.

Cool, thanks for the details. I want one of these cars. Will try to rent one the next time I go on a road trip... to really get a "feel" for it.......
    I guess I should clarify the use of the word "width"; I should say "thickness". When you close the driver's door, you'll see that the kick panel easily protrudes inward about 1" to 1.5".
    So far, I'm the only person in our group of twelve who's managed to find the perfect seat position. Most likely because I keep drawing the Fusions more than anyone else.
    You have a good idea about renting one. I'd do it for two or three days during the work week so you know what you'll be dealing with on a normal basis.
    This is probably the best picture to show what I'm talking about.

That kick panel looks kinda high, unnessarily so. I'd hate to have to drive with my knee bent upward all the time and that's what I've noted in mid-size Ford cars... I've had smaller cars that were flat and wide down there [[Chevy Cavalier and Honda Civics) and was always dissapointed by the rounding out of the Tuarus and what this seems to be. I have an late model Towncar that is wide flat out down there, but then I'd expect that from a big car, my 93' Toyota Camry has a small kick panel and is flat and roomy..... yeah need to rent one for a few days. Thanks for feedback!
    I guess I should clarify the use of the word "width"; I should say "thickness". When you close the driver's door, you'll see that the kick panel easily protrudes inward about 1" to 1.5".
    So far, I'm the only person in our group of twelve who's managed to find the perfect seat position. Most likely because I keep drawing the Fusions more than anyone else.
    You have a good idea about renting one. I'd do it for two or three days during the work week so you know what you'll be dealing with on a normal basis.
    This is probably the best picture to show what I'm talking about.

NHRA Pomona Winternats

Dodge Avenger NHRA Racing at Pomona, February 14, 2010
    http://www.allpar.com/racing/nhra/pomona-2010.html

Article has pics as well.

Chrysler to keep Mich. plant open through 2012

Chrysler agrees to buy Detroit-area plant from predecessor for $20M, keep open through 2012

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Chrysl...html?x=0&.v=11

Toledo plant might get more work, three shifts

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...k-three-shifts

"While 220 workers are currently laid off, the expansion and extra shifts could result in 1,700 new workers being hired, most at around $14 per hour."

"The expansion would probably take place at Toledo North, where the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro are currently made. The plant employs about 950 hourly workers on one shift, but it is one of Chrysler’s most flexible manufacturing facilities."

Chrysler recalls minivans for airbag issues
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...-airbag-issues

February 23rd, 2010 by DaveAdmin
    Chrysler is recalling 2005-2006 model year minivans because the front crash sensors may crack under certain conditions, allowing water to enter the sensor and render it useless. There does not appear to be any crash risk as the only outcome is the loss of the sensor and illumination of the “check airbags” light. Owners can take their van to a dealer, who will replace the sensor with a new design. The recall will take effect starting June 2010, but anyone whose airbag light comes on in the meantime can presumably get it replaced with the current design.

This applies to vehicles sold or registered in the District of Columbia, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska,
    New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

This is from Ford & deals with Cleveland.
    Ford Invests $155 Million in Fuel-Efficient Engines; Adds Jobs with Cleveland Plant No. 1 Upgrade

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-I....html?x=0&.v=1

Highlights:
    • Ford investing $155 million in Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 and adding 60 jobs

• Investment supports new fuel-efficient 3.7-liter V-6 engine for 2011 Mustang that delivers an expected best-in-class 30 mpg highway and 305 horsepower

• The 3.7-liter DOHC Ti-VCT V-6 is one of nine new engines and transmissions Ford is introducing in North America for 2011-model-year vehicles

• With Cleveland plant upgrade, Ford already has invested $1.8 billion and added 1,260 jobs in North American powertrain engineering and facilities to support 2011 vehicle launches – with more to come

February sales figures likely to be weaker than expected
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...-than-expected

March 2nd, 2010 by Bill Cawthon
    Severe winter storms and Toyota’s troubles are forecast to take a bite out of the February light vehicle sales to be reported today. Fallout from Toyota’s less-than-stellar handling of its multi-million-vehicle recall is estimated to have left the top Japanese automaker anywhere from 10% to 27% short of its numbers from February 2009.

A panel of five analysts survey by Bloomberg News estimates Chrysler will report sales down anywhere from 15% to 20%, yielding an average prediction of an 18% deficit. Individual estimates were:
    Rod Lache, [[Deutshe Bank): Down 15%
    Jesse Toprak [[TrueCar.com): Down 20%
    Jessica Caldwell [[Edmunds.com): Down 20%
    Christopher Hopson [[IHS Global Insight): Down 20%
    Himanshu Patel [[JPMorgan): Down 15%
    Average: Down 18%
    Ford and General Motors are forecast to report higher sales, with Ford expected to report results as much as 33% better than last February. GM sales are seen as rising 20 percent.
    Allpar will be reporting on sales as the figures are released, so check back during the day for the latest information.
    ==============================================
    Rectifying years of neglect by Daimler & Cerebrus is going to take time. Mopar just doesn't have models that can compete against the likes of a Focus or Fusion.
    The Challenger has been a hot seller however; 1,500 orders were received for the "Furious Fuschia" option hours after the announcement was made. When I took my Durango to the dealer recently for an oil change & inspection sticker, I was informed that the Challenger SRT & RT are usually sold within a few days of hitting the lot. The Ram has been a dependable seller as well.
    I'll give the Fiat team credit for being aggressive in their turn around efforts.

Chrysler announces revolutionary new marketing
    http://www.allpar.com/weblogs/2010/0...new-marketing/

Olivier[[Francois) added, “The Chrysler brand has been irrevocably tainted. When customers try to show off their new Chrysler, neighbors invariably whine about bailouts or Fiat parts. We have decided to do the ultimate retro step and bring Chrysler back to its roots. This will also end the confusion about Chrysler-the-company versus Chrysler-the-brand, and allow us to tap many beloved heritage names, such as Barracuda, Valiant, and Volare. We are bringing back Plymouth, and to minimize costs, it will simply replace the Chrysler brand.”
    ================================================== =======
    Wow! This should prove to be interesting.

Chrysler announces revolutionary new marketing
    http://www.allpar.com/weblogs/2010/0...new-marketing/

Olivier[[Francois) added, “The Chrysler brand has been irrevocably tainted. When customers try to show off their new Chrysler, neighbors invariably whine about bailouts or Fiat parts. We have decided to do the ultimate retro step and bring Chrysler back to its roots. This will also end the confusion about Chrysler-the-company versus Chrysler-the-brand, and allow us to tap many beloved heritage names, such as Barracuda, Valiant, and Volare. We are bringing back Plymouth, and to minimize costs, it will simply replace the Chrysler brand.”
    ================================================== =======
    Wow! This should prove to be interesting.
    If this wasn't your first clue:

Cars are to be made in shades of gray and black, with offerings including Brilliant Black, Antique Silver, Dark Titanium, Silver Steel, Dark Charcoal, Graphite Metallic, Mineral Gray, Dark Graystone, and Extremely Dark White.
    This should have tipped you off:

Editor’s note: There is a reason this story is on the weblogs, not the news page… it’s being posted a month early.
    To be fair, I think the editor's note was added later.
    Last edited by leland_palmer; March-02-10 at 01:07 PM.

Stosh Guest

February sales figures likely to be weaker than expected
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...-than-expected

March 2nd, 2010 by Bill Cawthon
    Severe winter storms and Toyota’s troubles are forecast to take a bite out of the February light vehicle sales to be reported today. Fallout from Toyota’s less-than-stellar handling of its multi-million-vehicle recall is estimated to have left the top Japanese automaker anywhere from 10% to 27% short of its numbers from February 2009.

A panel of five analysts survey by Bloomberg News estimates Chrysler will report sales down anywhere from 15% to 20%, yielding an average prediction of an 18% deficit. Individual estimates were:
    Rod Lache, [[Deutshe Bank): Down 15%
    Jesse Toprak [[TrueCar.com): Down 20%
    Jessica Caldwell [[Edmunds.com): Down 20%
    Christopher Hopson [[IHS Global Insight): Down 20%
    Himanshu Patel [[JPMorgan): Down 15%
    Average: Down 18%
    Ford and General Motors are forecast to report higher sales, with Ford expected to report results as much as 33% better than last February. GM sales are seen as rising 20 percent.
    Allpar will be reporting on sales as the figures are released, so check back during the day for the latest information.
    ==============================================
    Rectifying years of neglect by Daimler & Cerebrus is going to take time. Mopar just doesn't have models that can compete against the likes of a Focus or Fusion.
    The Challenger has been a hot seller however; 1,500 orders were received for the "Furious Fuschia" option hours after the announcement was made. When I took my Durango to the dealer recently for an oil change & inspection sticker, I was informed that the Challenger SRT & RT are usually sold within a few days of hitting the lot. The Ram has been a dependable seller as well.
    I'll give the Fiat team credit for being aggressive in their turn around efforts.
    AP Source: Chrysler to report small sales increase

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...-0HlQD9E6K7T03

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    If this wasn't your first clue:

This should have tipped you off:

To be fair, I think the editor's note was added later.
    I had one of those what the f*** moments, so to speak, because it seemed so damned incredible.[[which it was!) It's very rare these guys will post or report something as a joke or to throw people off. The editor seems to be catching some flak over it as well; that probably explains his note at the bottom. No excuse, but I should've went to the comments page to see what people were saying, as a couple of them called him out on it.
    Reminds me when Car Craft reported a few years back of rumors that several "heavy investors" wanted to revive some of the AMC lineup. There were modern renditions of cars such as AMX, Matador & Gremlin including basic specs. But it was the April issue, so take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    AP Source: Chrysler to report small sales increase

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...-0HlQD9E6K7T03
    Here's a chart showing the breakdown:
    http://www.allpar.com/news/wp-conten...b2010sales.gif

The pleasant surprises were Sebring, Avenger, Charger, Compass & Commander. But Ram took a beating.

Kurt Busch and Dodge wins the Kobalt Tools 500 at Atlanta
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...500-at-atlanta

Not exactly a "real" Charger", but good PR for Dodge. Brad Keselowski was running in the top ten near the end; Carl Edwards sent him airborne resulting in a horrific crash as payback for an earlier incident[[which Edwards was pretty much at fault). Sam Hornish wasn't a factor.

Sam Hornish was a factor until he broke a valve spring. At one point all three Penske Dodges were in the top 10. As to Carl Edwards, I hope NASCAR sits him down at Bristol.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast