Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Dan, I expect you're right on the money with regard to Chrysler's future depending on Fiat.

Ford not interested in Chrysler's brands or assets.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/30114172/for/cnbc/

Govt not happy with Chrysler's new SUV?
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/30103625/site/14081545

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Dan, I expect you're right on the money with regard to Chrysler's future depending on Fiat.

Ford not interested in Chrysler's brands or assets.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/30114172/for/cnbc/

Govt not happy with Chrysler's new SUV?
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/30103625/site/14081545
    We'll have to see how it plays out. I just don't want to hear Corker & Shelby of Redneck Nation whine on that Chrysler needs to do something else. Corker in particular has droned on that Chrysler needs a partner to be viable; well they've got one now. The jerk will find something else to bitch about about why the company can't survive. He really needs a tampon in the worst way.

ccbatson Guest

Street price on vipers is low 80s now [[maybe lower). If Viper is spun off as a one model company, with that one car packing a 8.4L V10 and getting 12 MPG...CAFE would double the price.

Okay you gear heads! The Phoenix[[now Pentastar) V6 Engine
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html
    With Pictures!!!

ccbatson Guest

Not too bad...not a generation or 2 ahead either [[clue 1, timing chains have been around since before timing belts).

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Not too bad...not a generation or 2 ahead either [[clue 1, timing chains have been around since before timing belts).
    Nothing wrong with metal timing chains over a belt any day of the week.

With pictures!
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...s-challengers/

Steve Saleen launches new SMS Challengers
    Steve Saleen launched two new SMS models, the revised SMS 570 and the new SMS 570X, based on the Dodge Challenger, with engines putting out 500 hp and 700 hp, respectively. Other changes have been made to increase traction and overall performance. SMS 570/SMS 570X Challengers details.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger/SMS.html
    SMS 570 and SMS 570X: Dodge Challengers Plus

ccbatson Guest

Agreed Mopardan...just that it isn't new.

Saleen is acting in what capacity now? He sold "Saleen", now what? Has he started a new company

Saleen is acting in what capacity now? He sold "Saleen", now what? Has he started a new company
    According to Wikipedia:
    "On November 11, 2008, Saleen announced intentions for a sale of its corporate operations.[5] A few months later, on February 2, 2009, MJ Acquisitions acquired the tooling and rights to the design of Saleen's supercharger, along with the aftermarket and high performance street vehicle business units [[Ford Mustang and Ford F150-related products). However, ownership of the business units associated with the S7 and S5S Raptor in addition to the paint operations remain integral components of Saleen not purchased in the sale.[6] MJ Acquisitions stated “Regrettably, Saleen Inc. is unable to honor any warranties” after ceasing operations."

Other than that, what'd you think of the Challengers?
    Last edited by MoparDan; April-12-09 at 06:40 PM.

ccbatson Guest

The challenger is very cool, but like the Mustang and upcoming Camaro, 400 pounds too heavy [[why), and the interior is nowhere near as inspiring in design as the exterior.

I agree about the weight...drop it down to 3500lbs at most. My '73 Charger weighs roughly 3700 & we're talking actually iron/steel here.
    About the interiors, I didn't think they were that bad. At least you have analog gauges. I'd like to see something a little more "classic" such as their old rallye clusters & slapstick for auto; pistol grip shifter for standard.
    You'll have to scroll to the bottom but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26um%3D1

ccbatson Guest

However, those negatives aside...425hp V8 hemi, great looks, performance that puts the original to shame...great stuff. A good starting point as well. Too bad that Obama is going to make that kind of product extinct.

"The boss of Italian carmaker Fiat has threatened to walk away from an alliance with US carmaker Chrysler if unions do not make concessions."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8001179.stm

Not completely. Slap the MDS system on it & make it flex fuel.
    I think what Chrysler ought to do is drop the weight of the Challenger to 3500lbs, put the MDS on the V6, add a decent sound system, slap a few cheap spoilers on it & keep the price below $23k...that would allow the youth market to buy a muscle car & maybe capture those people for the long run. ChryCo wouldn't clear much profit per vehicle, but overall they'd sell tons of 'em!

ccbatson Guest

Yes on dropping the weight, who cares about flex fuel [[it is a hoax), but a V6?? Sacrilege, the vehicle is destroyed by that.

Let me clarify...I meant the base Challenger, not one of these Saleen machines. LOL The US Automakers have basically lost almost two generations of car buyers. You gotta start somewhere, so you make an affordable Challenger available with that new 290HP V6, drop the wt & slap on the MDS. The kiddos can buy a muscle car that has decent power to weight & perhaps respectable MPG. Just speculation but I think it would work.

ccbatson Guest

Against the ricers [[ie Subaru)? A hard sell IMO. Stick with the V8 and stay out of other markets where you are ill equipped to compete.

I think it has a chance. I bounced the idea off a few of my daughter's male friends & they thought it would be doable. They like the Challenger's styling & when I mentioned a new 290HP V6 coming out that seemed to picque their interest. If nothing else, it would at least give Chrysler an entry vehicle. The only reason why the ricers are even there are because our guys basically abandoned it to the Japs for too long.

ccbatson Guest

I would point out that the Subaru is getting over 300HP weighs less, has 4 wheel drive, and costs about the same.

What Subaru model are you talking about?

ccbatson Guest

WRX STI, and not far behind it, the high performance versions of the Legacy.

WRX STI, and not far behind it, the high performance versions of the Legacy.
    The starting price is almost $35k for that STI. How is that a better deal than what I proposed for the Challenger at less than $23k?
    http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impre...sti/index.html

ccbatson Guest

True, but, by the same logic, I propose that Subaru offer a lesser equipped version for 22K [[and I believe something along those lines is in the works).

Ok. I guess we can propose ideas all day on this one.
    Here's some actual news.
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...hrysler-board/

Confirmed: new Chrysler board
    April 17th, 2009
    by DaveAdmin
    Bob Nardelli wrote: “Upon successful completion of the alliance, a board of directors for Chrysler will be appointed by the U.S. government and Fiat. The majority of the directors will be independent [[not employees of Chrysler or Fiat). The board will have the responsibility to appoint a chairman. The board also will select a CEO with Fiat’s concurrence.”
    This was part of a longer message to employees:
    To All Chrysler Employees,
    I’d like to give you an update as to where we stand in our restructuring process, since we expect the next two weeks to be very busy as we move toward our April 30 deadline. As you know, significant concessions from all Chrysler constituents are a requirement of our government loans and a condition of our alliance with Fiat. President Obama himself acknowledged this in his March 30 address on the auto industry:
    “Now, what we’re asking for is difficult. It will require hard choices by companies. It will require unions and workers who have already made extraordinarily painful concessions to do more … It will require efforts from a whole host of other stakeholders, including dealers and suppliers.”
    While we have made progress with most constituents, there are significant challenges remaining, and I wanted to provide you with a brief update on where we are in the process.
    UAW: As required by our U.S. Treasury loan, we submitted a viability plan on Feb. 17 that included tentative agreements with the United Auto Workers union related to modified VEBA terms and hourly wage rates competitive with the transplants. Unfortunately, the Administration reviewed the plan and determined that Chrysler was not viable as a standalone entity, and as noted above, even with an alliance partner, Chrysler must ask for additional sacrifices. The additional concessions we are seeking from the UAW are critical to receiving continued support of the Administration, completing our Fiat alliance and achieving sustained viability.
    CAW: Chrysler and the Canadian Auto Workers union have held a series of meetings, but unfortunately, have not reached an agreement on concessions as outlined by the Canadian government. The CAW has been unwilling to abide by the terms of the Canadian government loan, which requests that the union meet local transplant all-in labor costs. This issue is also critical. Without a successful resolution, the alliance with Fiat and our continued viability is at risk.
    Canadian government: The Canadian government has been very supportive of our viability, providing a loan of $1 billion [[CDN $750 million drawn to date), with an agreement to provide additional support in proportion to the loans received from the U.S. Treasury.
    Creditors: The U.S Treasury has been meeting regularly with our creditor group, which has been asked to make significant additional concessions. The U.S. Treasury has extended a concessions proposal to the group, and the creditor group is expected to respond shortly.
    Suppliers: In these troubled times we have had success with our suppliers, with some being very supportive. Others have become involved in the Federal Automotive Supplier Support Program. To date, Chrysler has approved 150 suppliers for the program.
    Dealers: Our dealers were among the first constituency groups to meet their concession goals and continue as strong supporters of Chrysler. In spite of the negative perceptions surrounding our industry, our dealers show tremendous enthusiasm for our company, our brands and products in their local communities with their optimism and steadfast support of our customers.
    Chrysler Employees: As a result of extensive downsizing and de-layering, Chrysler employees continue to do more with less throughout the organization. Significant costs and benefits have been eliminated and all federal guidelines are being met.
    Fiat: We continue to review the status of all stakeholder discussions with Fiat, as the achievement of concessions is a condition of the alliance. Fiat strongly believes in the mutual benefits the alliance would create for both of our companies, our customers, employees and other constituents.
    To help set the record straight in light of recent media speculation, let me share with you a few facts on the alliance. Upon successful completion of the alliance, a board of directors for Chrysler will be appointed by the U.S. government and Fiat. The majority of the directors will be independent [[not employees of Chrysler or Fiat). The board will have the responsibility to appoint a chairman. The board also will select a CEO with Fiat’s concurrence.
    As we enter this crucial period, I want you to know that I appreciate your tireless efforts and dedication to the cause of ensuring Chrysler’s future success. I ask you to stay focused on the job at hand, remain positive about our future and keep supporting one another in everything you do.
    Thank you again for your continued commitment to Chrysler.
    Bob

ccbatson Guest

Fingers are crossed to the extent that this isn't just a veiled effort to liquidate Chrysler with Fiat being the major buyer of salvageable elements of the company.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast