Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

That's precisely how that goes down... I've had folks do the stare-down, watch me click and arm my alarms.

They are brazen and bold in their agenda, as am I, to go about my business. I leave nothing in view and try to park close to my destination.

They are even taken pets if you leave them in a car, though I would not leave a pet in a car in this weather....

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ar-20120526-km

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitVideoDaily View Post
    I believe they watched her park and preyed on them.

This is where stings would work. Have a couple of youngish looking cops hip-hop it up outfit-wise and park a prime-beef car in a target area.

Then have two or three 4 man cruisers waiting around the corner to swoop in and take out the trash.

Oh wait..... that would involve putting cops on the street wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    This is where stings would work. Have a couple of youngish looking cops hip-hop it up outfit-wise and park a prime-beef car in a target area.

Then have two or three 4 man cruisers waiting around the corner to swoop in and take out the trash.

Oh wait..... that would involve putting cops on the street wouldn't it?
    An interesting idea but their lookouts would spot the cops long before they could do any good, and the only way to slow this could never employed.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-27-12 at 07:01 AM.

Has DPD ever used bait cars? That's for people stealing cars, but I think they could effectively rig up a car for smash and grabs.

Yeah, it was sad reading about the couple that lost their dogs in a s&g.

The sound of breaking glass is alarm enough in this case. Theres something to be said for staying out of someone elses bad neighborhood. Lucky they weren't mugged or shot and mugged. If the folks sitting on their porch weren't in on it Im sure they still wouldnt have admitted to have seen what happened. They wouldn't want the block to think they cooperate with police. Firebombs have been tossed thru windows for less Too bad they didn't see a plate number.

Yeah, I mentioned that people in a neighborhood can easily discern 'tourists' and there's already problems in the area and it's rare that any one is going to speak up on behalf of the outsiders.

I am NOT justifying on any level what happened to the visitors. It happens to Detroiters daily, but you have to clearly understand without any naivete what you're doing, thus be 'prepared' when venturing in certain areas!

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    The sound of breaking glass is alarm enough in this case. Theres something to be said for staying out of someone elses bad neighborhood. Lucky they weren't mugged or shot and mugged. If the folks sitting on their porch weren't in on it Im sure they still wouldnt have admitted to have seen what happened. They wouldn't want the block to think they cooperate with police. Firebombs have been tossed thru windows for less Too bad they didn't see a plate number.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-27-12 at 08:08 AM.

Perhaps back in the day, but DPD is too busy with other crimes and murders for that kind of thing now. The police force is just too few, spread too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Has DPD ever used bait cars? That's for people stealing cars, but I think they could effectively rig up a car for smash and grabs.

Yeah, it was sad reading about the couple that lost their dogs in a s&g.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-27-12 at 08:27 AM.

There was a TV news segment a few years back about the cars being broken into a the Juvenile Court in Detroit. No place to park but on the street and a trail of broken glass all along the curb. They video taped a smash and grab and showed it to the police. Their response was something like "We can't be everywhere"?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yep, and don't leave your pets in the car either! Two little dogs where stolen out of a car at the Big Boy on Jefferson by Belle Isle... the thieves leasurly sawed off the catalytic converter too!!!

That's horrible. What kind of lowlife would steal both their dogs and their cat!

Even the birds weren't safe! They just had wings enough to fly away!! ----

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    That's horrible. What kind of lowlife would steal both their dogs and their cat!

Yep. You're on your own with regards to your car... except for law enforcement related to parking violations!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    There was a TV news segment a few years back about the cars being broken into a the Juvenile Court in Detroit. No place to park but on the street and a trail of broken glass all along the curb. They video taped a smash and grab and showed it to the police. Their response was something like "We can't be everywhere"?
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-27-12 at 10:52 AM.

Just to clear any misconceptions up, I noticed a couple reading through the recent comments.

The young lady [[my stepdaughter) who had her stuff stolen is from Detroit. A resident of the city NOT from the suburbs. AND yes, she should've known better to leave her valuables in the vehicle. She is young and learned a tough lesson. Her friend is from Boston.

I went through the Heidelberg Project yesterday [[was surprised how large it has become, no longer just the one street). Plenty of people checking out the art. I also noticed an out of state license plate on one car, so it is a tourist destination, no matter what you think of the art project.

There was a patrol car [[no lights on top though, not sure why) cruising through slowly. I stopped and gave my story to the officer. --- So it was encouraging to see some police on patrol.
    -DVD

Plenty of people checking out the junk. I also noticed an out of state license plate on one car, so it is a tourist destination, no matter what you think of the junkyard.
    [[There. Fixed that for ya')

So is Chernobyl.

If the garbage on Heidelberg St. really is art why do people complain about Belle Isle after a weekend of partying? They look the same.

Or along the embankments on the Lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    [[There. Fixed that for ya')
    lol. I always needed someone to put words in my mouth...er, uh, be my editor.
    -DVD

9mile&seneca Guest

What this world needs is a few more rednecks
    Some people ain't afraid to take a stand
    What this world needs is a little more respect
    For the Lord and the law and the workin' man
    We could use a little peace and satisfaction
    Some good people up front to take the lead
    A little less talk and a little more action
    And a few more rednecks is what we need

I was raised on beans and cornbread
    And I like my chicken fried
    Yes, I drive a pickup truck
    And I'm full of American pride
    I keep a Bible on my table
    I got a flag out on my lawn
    And I don't believe in mindin'
    No one's business but my own

And I love them Rambo movies
    I think they make a lot of sense
    And it's a shame ole John Wayne
    Didn't live to run for president

[And I'm a catfish connoisseur
    And I love the Lynyrd Skynyrd band
    And I'm crazy about the NFL
    And I'm a diehard NASCAR Fan]

And I don't care what nobody says
    I don't trust ole Gorbachev
    And I don't know who turned him on
    But it's time to turn him off

Unlike places like Downtown Detroit and the Riverwalk, there are no, nor have there ever been, any pretensions about the area of Heidelberg being safe. If I understand it correctly, that was at least part of the motivation of Guyton in creating the installation - to both draw attention to and bring some artistic form into a deeply depressed area. It has been that for as long as I can remember.

As an aside, I always liked the HP, but the damn thing is like 25 years old now. I'm no artist, but I think I do have an appreciation for art and most great artists evolve and hone their styles over time. Or I guess you could just find a new appliance to fill with shoes every few years. Out of state and international tourists like to gawk at the place because it's so unique, but I don't find it all that relevant or compelling anymore. I hear they have workshops and stuff for the kids though, which is nice. Still as art it seems pretty stagnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    All of that stuff should be purchased and installed within 24 - 48 hours of purchasing a new or used car whereever you are. I agree. Especially a Chrysler product... which in some cases the car is pushed away and stripped, if they can't get the engine to start. Crazy!
    Got my Viper alarm less than a week after I bought my Mercury. Told the guy exactly what I wanted. It has the 2-way remote. The manager quipped how many people come in with brand new $30,000 cars & want the cheapest alarm possible.

As for Chrysler... he told me how insurance companies buy used parts whenever possible. A guy came in with a Chrysler that had the radio stolen. They got the proper unit from a used parts store somewhere out in the suburbs & installed it. The guy checked it out & found the presets were the same as he had on his. He hit eject. His CD popped out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2