Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 43 of 117 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 53 93 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2903

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The arches over the door look very similar to the work of J. H. Gustav Steffens, Enclosed are a couple images of his work with a similar arch from a couple issues of the Michigan Architect and Engineer.
    That looks right - very close.

A design of Betram Grosvenor Goodhue and Associates of New York with a short history from The Moorings a publication of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society.

Christ Church Chapel Episcopal Church 61 Grosse Pointe Boulevard built in 1930 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.
    Bertram Goodhue designed what might be his finest work, Church of the Intercession, at 155th Street and Broadway in NYC.
    Name:  Church of the Intercession.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  58.5 KB
    Not my photo, it's from Google Images.)

To me, it's the second finest church in NYC. It was Goodhue's own favorite design, so much so that he chose to be buried in the side wall. In a niche, arching above the caving of him in repose, there is a bas relief of many of his favorite works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Go...lee_lawrie.jpg
    You can see his tomb at 1:09 in this YouTube tour of the church.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgZVd...layer_embedded

Another builder doing work in Sherwood Forest and Grosse Pointe-Max and George Spoon.

19116 Berkley built in 1938 Sherwood Forest Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A home built by Max and George Spoon in Grosse Pointe.

1080 Balfour built in 1936 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

A home remodeled by Robert O. Derrick updated with a short history from The Moorings a publication of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society.

The Poplars 71 Lakeshore built in 1884 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.

A design by William Kuni.

1152 Devoonshire built in 1924 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

Bloodgood Tuttle [[what a cool name!) was a prominent Cleveland architect who designed a number of homes in Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights.
    http://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/432

Here are 2 shots of one he did here in Detroit at 2205 Chicago Blvd. on the SW corner of 14th. My google map photos don't quite show it; but there is a large raised terrace wrapping around the front of the house and the living room fireplace seems to be settled into an inglenook.

Name:  Bloodgood Tuttle 2205 Chicago Blvd..jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  38.0 KB
    Name:  2205 Chicago 2.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  24.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Bloodgood Tuttle [[what a cool name!) was a prominent Cleveland architect who designed a number of homes in Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights.

Here are 2 shots of one he did here in Detroit at 2205 Chicago Blvd. on the SW corner of 14th. My google map photos don't quite show it; but there is a large raised terrace wrapping around the front of the house and the living room fireplace seems to be settled into an inglenook.
    Beautiful - lots of depth to the design. I'm curious about that low gable on the front - wonder what that's like on the interior...

Name:  Bloodgood Tuttle 2205 Chicago Blvd..jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  38.0 KB
    Name:  2205 Chicago 2.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  24.8 KB
    I have seen his work in Shaker Heights very impressive Check out #829 in this thread an image with a couple drawings of 2024 Atikinson by Tuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Beautiful - lots of depth to the design. I'm curious about that low gable on the front - wonder what that's like on the interior...
    The gable is part of a several gabled ell that projects out from the main body of the living room. It is topped by a massive chimney. there is a set of small, double arched windows on both sides of the bay.

Also notice the similarity of the chimney/gable on the house on Atkinson p69rrh51 referenced in his post immediately above this.

The gable is part of a several gabled ell that projects out from the main body of the living room. It is topped by a massive chimney. there is a set of small, double arched windows on both sides of the bay.

Also notice the similarity of the chimney/gable on the house on Atkinson p69rrh51 referenced in his post immediately above this.
    A few more Bloodgood Tuttle drawings originally published in Michigan Architect and Engineer.

I wonder what Lancelot Sukert was smoking with this design?
    I have seen a number of his "sketches" and they are quite mind-blowing. I have seen the artistic skills of a number of famed Detroit architects and i think Sukert and Willeke had the best free-hand drawing skills.

Neilr a little more information on Bloodgood Tuttle and images of a few of his commissions in Shaker Heights. The images are from the book Distinguished Homes of Shaker Heights an architectural overview by Richard N. Campen. I apologize the book was an odd size and hard to scan.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-09-12 at 10:13 PM.

Bloodgood Tuttle's design for W. B. Alexander.

18585 Parkland built in 1927 Shaker Heights, OH.

A "demonstration" home for the Van Sweringeb Brothers design by Bloodgood Tuttle.

18504 Van Aken Boulevard built in 1924 Shaker Heights, OH.

Two more designs by Bloodgood Tuttle.

18850 South Woodland Road built in 1923 Shaker Heights, OH.
    3103 Kingsley Road built in 1923 Shaker Heights, OH.

Homes designed for A. Metzger, A. M. Ward and one more "demonstrator" home designed by Bllodgood Tuttle.

17120 South Woodland Road built in 1924 Shaker Heights, OH.
    16520 Parkland Drive built in 1924 Shaker Heights, OH.
    3105 Van Aken Boulevard built in 1924 Shaker Height, OH.

Thanks, p69rrh51. Those all look to be uniquely interesting designs - not a cookie cutter among them. He sure had a way with slate roofs and big gables.

Does anyone know what role did Bloodgood Tuttle played in the design of Meadowbrook Hall?

William Kuni was a prolific Detroit architect. His offices were at 10242 12th Street at the corner of Calvert just north of the Boston/Edison neighborhood in which he designed many houses. Often times, his houses had a recurring theme whether they were his high-end "Cadillac" models or his mid-range "Buicks."

These 2 B/E houses will illustrate what I mean. The 1st is on Edison, the 2nd on Boston Blvd.

Name:  Edison.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  35.8 KB
    Name:  Boston.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  51.6 KB

While the Boston house is bigger, they both have basically the same double front doors with a similar surround topped with an iron rail. The living room widows all have large keystones, and both have a den to the right. All the second floor windows have shutters. I remember when all the 1st floor doors and windows on both houses still had their leaded, beveled glass panels [[sigh). Both roofs, with dormers, are the same.

I will continue in my next post; but if it's not up yet, please go up the thread and look at p69rrh51's post #1056.

A few Bloodgood Tuttle-related images...

http://luna.lib.uchicago.edu/luna/se...nnati%20Ohio)/

There's a published pen and ink rendering of 2205 Chicago - it's in one of the Thumb Tack Club catalogs.

I read the Tuttle also designed the entrance to the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, NY. This is the resting place of Babe Ruth and other celebs...Tuttle was from NY, so his portfolio was spread throughout several states.

William Kuni was a prolific Detroit architect. His offices were at 10242 12th Street at the corner of Calvert just north of the Boston/Edison neighborhood in which he designed many houses. Often times, his houses had a recurring theme whether they were his high-end "Cadillac" models or his mid-range "Buicks."

These 2 B/E houses will illustrate what I mean. The 1st is on Edison, the 2nd on Boston Blvd.

Name:  Edison.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  35.8 KB
    Name:  Boston.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  51.6 KB

While the Boston house is bigger, they both have basically the same double front doors with a similar surround topped with an iron rail. The living room widows all have large keystones, and both have a den to the right. All the second floor windows have shutters. I remember when all the 1st floor doors and windows on both houses still had their leaded, beveled glass panels [[sigh). Both roofs, with dormers, are the same.

I will continue in my next post; but if it's not up yet, please go up the thread and look at p69rrh51's post #1056.
    I read an article on Kuni one time that stated he had designed and built over 1,500 homes in the metro area. Nelr you will like this home in Grosse Pointe, it looks very familar.

1221 Kensington built in 1921 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

If my theory of Kuni's recurring themes is correct, he likely is also responsible for these Grosse Pointe houses. Again, compare the glass doors, door surrounds, delicate iron railings, roofs and dormers, abundant use of leaded glass, light-colored brick, and just the general "feel" of these houses.

I would stand by ID-ing of the B-E houses in my previous post; but I can't document these Grosse Pointe houses. I'm just giving my best guess [[which I believe is reenforced by p69rrh51's post #1066 on this thread). So if anyone wants to correct me, please do.

Name:  Kuni 1008 Devonshire.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  47.3 KB
    Name:  Kensington.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  32.0 KB
    Name:  Kuni 1216 Yorkshire.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  50.3 KB
    Name:  Kuni 1148 Devonshire.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  46.5 KB
    Name:  Buckingham.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  42.4 KB
    Name:  1266 Grayton.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  42.6 KB

Page 43 of 117 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 53 93 ... LastLast