Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 46 of 117 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 96 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2903

I haven't seen this covered anywhere, my apologies if I missed it. As I'm going through the thread and seeing a lot of the Grosse Pointe pictures in particular, I'm reminded of growing up in East English Village. Of course, it wasn't called EEV back then, but the architecture strongly resembles what's found in the Grosse Pointes, but to a smaller scale. My questions? Where the Grosse Pointes and EEV area developed at the same time? Obviously, the Lakeshore area was first, but once the strip farms were plotted into streets and neighborhoods, was the building done around the same time? Where some of the same architects used? Or would some of the same firms possibly have been used, with Jr. Architects designing the smaller houses from the Senior Architect’s ideas/plans? Or were more "generic" firms used to mimic designs from the nicer neighborhoods? Do similar areas such as Boston-Edison, Palmer Park, or Indian Village also have neighboring areas that share the upscale designs in more affordable housing? Or is it all coincidence...? Thanks!
    Last edited by Bluenote132003; December-19-12 at 11:49 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote132003 View Post
    I haven't seen this covered anywhere, my apologies if I missed it. As I'm going through the thread and seeing a lot of the Grosse Pointe pictures in particular, I'm reminded of growing up in East English Village. Of course, it wasn't called EEV back then, but the architecture strongly resembles what's found in the Grosse Pointes, but to a smaller scale. My questions? Where the Grosse Pointes and EEV area developed at the same time? Obviously, the Lakeshore area was first, but once the strip farms were plotted into streets and neighborhoods, was the building done around the same time? Where some of the same architects used? Or would some of the same firms possibly have been used, with Jr. Architects designing the smaller houses from the Senior Architect’s ideas/plans? Or were more "generic" firms used to mimic designs from the nicer neighborhoods? Do similar areas such as Boston-Edison, Palmer Park, or Indian Village also have neighboring areas that share the upscale designs in more affordable housing? Or is it all coincidence...? Thanks!
    Life long resident of GP here should answer the emphasis on GP. Also historic background on GP is more readily available for me.
    As for development GP started subdividing around 1905 although the late teens early 20's is when development took off. EEV started the mid to late 20's but did not take off until the late 30's and right after WWII.
    I have only found one architect designed home in EEV. Builders Cox & Baker built many homes in EEV and also in GP. I think they were scaling down larger homes to more modest sizes.
    I have found examples from every well known and many lesser known 20th century architects in GP. Most of them also were active in IV-BE-PW-SF and other historic districts. Its funny while they are all represented in GP, they did not always design homes in the historic districts of Detroit. One example William Kuni who is reputed to have designed 1,500 homes in the Detroit metro area does not have one design in Indian Village but his homes are found in most every other historic district in the CoD and GP.
    None of the historic districts have an EEV like area near them as GP does. Boston-Edison has EEV type homes as part of the district, although a little older in age and design.
    As to actual designs I have seen exact copies around town, similar homes in different areas. Similar homes just a couple blocks apart. The more affordable the housing the more copies seems to be a theme around town.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-19-12 at 08:28 PM.

As Walter Desimpel design.

1440 Bishop built in 1928 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-19-12 at 02:22 PM.

A design by J. Ivan Dise and Clair Ditchy.

1003 Buckingham built in 1924 Grosse Pointe Park, Mi.

Designed by Charles Kotting & Henry F. Stanton. I wonder if any scrapper has actually considered taking the roof?

1034 Bishop built in 1917 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

Noted church architect William E.N. Hunter designed the Grosse Pointe Memorial Church in 1927.
    Name:  GP Memorial Church.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  40.5 KB
    http://detroitfunk.com/?tag=grosse-p...emorial-church

Prior to that he did the First United Methodist Church in Highland Park.
    Name:  First_United_Methodist_Church_Highland_Park-1.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  32.8 KB
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71288712@N00/459261647/

The only house that I'm aware that he designed was for E.A. Leitner and is on the south side of Chicago Blvd. between Third and Hamilton.

Then:
    Name:  Chicago Blvd. house then.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  76.0 KB

And now:
    Name:  Chicago Blvd House now.jpg
Views: 1844
Size:  31.9 KB

A couple Hunter home designs. This home was designed for William E. Partridge of Partridge and Blackwell fame. Also includes an image from an issue of The Inland Architect circa 1910.

144 East Boston Boulevard built in 1906 Arden Park East Boston Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-21-12 at 10:38 AM.

Hunter designed this home for Frederick M. Sibley Sr. He passed away shortly after the home was finished. My wife's god daughter is Sibley's great granddaughter. Southofbloor has also identified a couple more Hunter domestic designs.

1052 Burns built in 1912 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI

I think that William E.N. Hunter's crowning achievement is the Metropolitan United Methodist Church on Woodward. Had that structure been built in a city like NYC, it would be one of the city's greatest cathedrals. However, since it's in Detroit, it will never get the architectural recogntion it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think that William E.N. Hunter's crowning achievement is the Metropolitan United Methodist Church on Woodward. Had that structure been built in a city like NYC, it would be one of the city's greatest cathedrals. However, since it's in Detroit, it will never get the architectural recogntion it deserves.
    For you Patrick, one of Hunter's best, including a drawing from a 1920 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

North Woodward Methodist Episcopal Church 8000 Woodward built in 1926 Woodward Avenue Upper Piety Row Detroit, MI.

Stained Glass: Charles J. Connick Associates Boston, MA

Another Hunter Gem with a drawing from a 1920 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

First Methodist Church of Jackson 275 West Michigan Avenue built in 1922 Jackson, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    For you Patrick, one of Hunter's best, including a drawing from a 1920 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

North Woodward Methodist Episcopal Church 8000 Woodward built in 1926 Woodward Avenue Upper Piety Row Detroit, MI.

Stained Glass: Charles J. Connick Associates Boston, MA

Very nice illustrations! I wonder if the architects themselves drew up the "pre" sketches for the buildings, or if they hired it out the artists.

Here is a lil tidbit I found while randomly Googling regarding a lesser-known 1940 Richard Marr design in Rochester for National Twist Drill.

http://www.candgnews.com/news/twist-...status-studied

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Noted church architect William E.N. Hunter designed the Grosse Pointe Memorial Church in 1927.
    Name:  GP Memorial Church.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  40.5 KB
    http://detroitfunk.com/?tag=grosse-p...emorial-church

Prior to that he did the First United Methodist Church in Highland Park.
    Name:  First_United_Methodist_Church_Highland_Park-1.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  32.8 KB
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71288712@N00/459261647/

The only house that I'm aware that he designed was for E.A. Leitner and is on the south side of Chicago Blvd. between Third and Hamilton.

Then:
    Name:  Chicago Blvd. house then.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  76.0 KB

And now:
    Name:  Chicago Blvd House now.jpg
Views: 1844
Size:  31.9 KB
    J. Lawson Miller used very similar windows in this home a little further west on Chicago Boulevard.

1496 Chicago Boulevard built in 1917 Boston-Edison Historic District Detroit, MI.

This is my favorite J. H. Gustav Steffens design I have found so far. The home has a bar in the basement with a terrazzo floor, the bar itself is oak and the room is about a 500 sq. ft.

1011 Bishop built in 1928 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

A design by Murphy & Burns.

Graphic Arts Building 41-47 Burroughs built in 1926 New Amsterdam Historic District Detroit, MI.

A Stahl & Kinsey design.

Bethany Presbyterian Church 7835 East Lafayette built in 1922 West Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

A design by J. Ivan Dise.

1020 Bishop built in 1929 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

A Varney & Winter design once owned by Harley Earl. The original cost of the home was $18,000.00.

1744 Seminole built in 1914 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

One of several spec homes in the Cabbage Patch designed and built by Lucian Bouttelgier.

1364 Beaconsfield built in 1924 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

Here's another example of two houses that are basically the same house. I do not know the architect. Any thoughts?

Name:  Hamilton #2.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  41.6 KB
    This one's on Boston Blvd., just west of Hamilton.

Name:  Warrington #2.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  43.3 KB
    Name:  Warrington #3.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  50.8 KB
    This house is on Warrington in Sherwood Forest, just north of 7 Mile.

To me, the Boston Blvd. house is significantly more refined and, I believe, somewhat larger. Notice the stonework trim on the facade. While both stairwell windows are leaded with stained glass inserts and 11/2 stories high, the Boston Blvd. windows are stepped at their base and are, to me, much more elegant looking. [[Although that might be because of the storm windows on Warrington.) The 2nd Warrington picture gives a bit better look at the stairwell windows. Notice how they continue around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Nice! I like the thickness of the "hood" edge and the brackets. Cobblestone gets me every time though.
    If it's cobblestones you like, here's one of the few cobblestone houses in Boston / Edison at 1411 Edison.
    Name:  1411 Edison.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  58.9 KB

And here's its lovely sister just up the street.
    Name:  Edison House.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  46.9 KB

And, alas, here sits its poor, ugly stepsister a block over on Atkinson. Not only has its stucco been covered over with aluminum siding, its front porch has been clumsily amputated.
    Name:  Atkinson amputation.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  14.5 KB

Designed by Rupert Koch.

1002 Bishop built in 1926 Grosse Pointe Park, Mi.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-25-12 at 05:13 PM.

A Donald L. Kinsey design.

1015 Bishop built in 1926 Grosse Pointe Park, Mi.

A design by John W. Case.

1818 Iroquois built in 1921 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

Page 46 of 117 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 96 ... LastLast