Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

I would completely agree with Krawlspace re: the Royal Oak. It is probably the only true "Art Deco" [[to use the 1968-invented term) theatre in the area. The geometric flowers cast into the side "boxes", the stenciling, and the original light fixtures [[long gone) are absolutely from the 1925 Paris exhibit book.
    There was a phase of neighborhood movie theatre building in 1936-'41, as Gistok mentioned. The Beverly, the Varsity, the Victory, the Royal, the Mercury, the Harper, The Norwest, The Nortown--these all could be described as "Art Moderne" , "Streamline Moderne" or "Depression Moderne". Most all of them are demolished now. It is important to remember that the depression ended the building blitz in large movie palaces, most of which were styled after some old European or Oriental convention, a "cheap American knock-off" if you will. About the time the very modern ideas from the 1925 Paris "L'Exposition internationale des arts décoratifs et industriels modernes" trickled down to this country the build-boom was off. It is interesting that the movie business continued at such a pace that the above mentioned neighborhood houses were built as the depression eased.
    Last edited by 56packman; January-28-14 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    For all of Detroit's rich movie theater heritage, as well as Crane's own talents, what is conspicuously missing is a significant Art Deco theater [...] Does anyone know of a major Art Deco theater in Michigan?
    Shrine of the Little Flower, Royal Oak:

Over 3,000 seats in a palace of splendor. Worth seeing!
    Not to mention the ~100-rank Kilgen symphonic organ:

http://database.organsociety.org/Sin...p?OrganID=9055

... and there's a twin console in the balcony [[similar to the Fox...)

I played this organ shortly after it was restored. WOW!

I have always wondered what the Royal Oak Theater's interior originally looked like. I've never found any pictures.

Attachment 22633 Here is the auditorium, shortly after the theatre opened.

Name:  Royal Oak Theatre Lobby.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  96.8 KB and the lobby

^The auditorium picture won't display, but thanks for the lobby pic. The lobby doesn't look all that different but I can tell from attending concerts that there has been a major modernization in the auditorium.

Name:  Royal Oak theatre auditorium.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  45.9 KB

Not sure what happened, it was there and now it isn't. Here it is again.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7