Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It really isn't.

Americans would have to adjust their lifestyles and a few defense contractors would have to lose their contracts, but we can certainly afford the things Detroitnerd listed.

But most Americans are too narrow-minded and self-asorbed to see beyond the next penny they earn.

Yeah, it may cost a few extra pennies, but the value of having a quality of life for you and fellow citizens outweighs the few extra pennies that one must initially put in IMO.
    I'll bet you that the people involved in the carjacking came from single parent homes, their father had very little involvement with them if any, and their mother had them at a very young age. Also they're probably high school dropouts and they're parents weren't involved in their education. Probably wouldn't know what a PTA meeting is let alone attended one.

The lifestyle adjustments needs to come from the screwing up end. They're the ones that are narrow-minded and self-absorbed.

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    "I'm from Detroit, I LIVE IN Detroit, I love Detroit"
    Anita Baker and Enimen say the same thing.

Guess where they actually live?

I'm from Detroit. I love Detroit. I live in Las Vegas. I ain't no dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm from Detroit. I love Detroit. I live in Las Vegas. I ain't no dummy.
    And what's the climate like in Las Vegas, and I don't mean the weather. Are there crime problems there? I'm sure not like it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And what's the climate like in Las Vegas, and I don't mean the weather. Are there crime problems there? I'm sure not like it is here.
    I guess there's crime pretty much everywhere, Cincy, and Las Vegas is no exception. Fortunately, I'm in a suburb [[Henderson) and in a 55+ age restricted community, and the crime rate is zero. The local paper prints weekly crime stats, and up north of the airport and along the strip, they sure get their share.

The worst crime area is in North Las Vegas. It seems like 9 times out of 10 when a serious crime takes place, it's in northtown. And that's completely on the other side of the valley from me, probably 25 miles away. By the way, it seems if -- no matter what city you are in -- if the street you're on is named Martin Luther King Jr., you're in a bad part of town. Curious.

Biggest problem I have is keeping coyotes away from our cat. Anyway, thanks for asking.

I guess there's crime pretty much everywhere, Cincy, and Las Vegas is no exception. Fortunately, I'm in a suburb [[Henderson) and in a 55+ age restricted community, and the crime rate is zero. The local paper prints weekly crime stats, and up north of the airport and along the strip, they sure get their share.

The worst crime area is in North Las Vegas. It seems like 9 times out of 10 when a serious crime takes place, it's in northtown. And that's completely on the other side of the valley from me, probably 25 miles away. By the way, it seems if -- no matter what city you are in -- if the street you're on is named Martin Luther King Jr., you're in a bad part of town. Curious.

Biggest problem I have is keeping coyotes away from our cat. Anyway, thanks for asking.
    Chris Rock had that MLK Jr. street thing in his comedy routine. He's a funny guy.

Thx for the reply Ray, I had heard Vegas has bad areas just like any major city. I talk to my brother weekly and he lives in Atlanta, and says it's almost as bad there. You always wonder if crimes in other places are as bad as Detroit. And from the looks of it, sometimes it is, but we don't hear about it unless it's a heinious crime. Believe it or not, we are starting to have a coyote problem in the Detroit area.

Guess it all depends on how you define 'Detroit'.

Or Integrity.

More police can be helpful in responding to crime, but it is not a solution to preventing crime.

The solution is to have citizens who respect the Individual Rights of others.

When Group Rights trump Individual Rights, and the Democratic Party and it supporters in Detroit, value Group Rights over Individual Rights, of course there is going to be a lack of respect for Individual Rights.

If you respect the rights of an individual, you are not going to violate them by ignoring his Property Rights.

If you do not respect the Individual Rights of others, you have no problem with attacking and robbing people.

If you are for Group Rights, you can not be for Individual Rights, because Group Rights by their Nature, are all about ignoring Individual Rights.

"In our success we seem to have lost our center," said Winans, at a press conference before his sermon. "We have failed our sons and have allowed them to have heroes that are no more than thieves and thugs."

I have to wonder what success is he referring to when he says "in our success"? Is he speaking of the achievements of the civil rights movement? if he is the animals who attacked him could care less about those historical struggles, maybe the good Pastor needs to take off his rose colored glasses and come to terms with the fact that some of his so called "brothers" are just complete animals who are beyond repair, yes their mothers and FATHERS failed them but anyone who is past the age of reason and who is not mentally challenged.. regardless of who raised them, makes a choice to do good or do bad every single day! If they want to succeed in life bad enough... the world is at their finger tips in America. All one needs is that silly ole american past time of hard work and perseverance. Give me a break with the excuses and apologist attitude that seems to prevail in these situations. These highly motivated and lethal thugs would have been looking for their next victim like a pack of wolves the very next day had Winans not been a hi-profile victim.
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; May-21-12 at 05:28 PM.

In reading Rev Winans interview and pulpit talk I see how he was in a difficult position at the gas station. He stated he didn't realize he was in a difficult situation until he went inside the station and saw the teens hanging out. Being a man of the cloth he shouldn't act like he's scared of people because thats what his business is all about. So he goes ahead and makes the purchase knowing in the back of his mind that he might be in trouble. It really didn't make a difference at that point anyway because as soon as he walked into the store he was a target, so whether he turned around and walked right out or bought the gas he was in trouble.

The whole issue of the pastors clothes and car should have been a non-issue. I don't care if the pastor was draped in gold, he should not have been a target.

What concerns me more is while I liked that the police solved this crime quickly, Mr. and Ms Average Detroiter usually don't get the same outcomes when they get carjacked outside of gas stations. Also more than once I read about off duty cops busting a cap on some kid trying to carjack them at the gas station. The police and Godbee have to do a better job stopping those types of opportunity crimes, especially since they know its a known gang committing the crimes.

Also one of the first public statements coming from Winans was the lack of parenting of these kids, well I would like to see him put his money where his mouth is on that. If he feels so strongly about that then why can't his church develop outreach programs on parenting possibly working with the court system.

Its past time for the black church to step it up. I know black congregations like to see their spritual symbols decked out in fine watches, clothes and cars but the church has to be more than about material goods. Our hoods are literally crumbling around us and the black church isn't addressing this situation with the urgency that it deserves, Winans church included.

btw I don't know if his 7 mile church is on the pay as you go plan, but he needs to get it done. Its an eyesore along with the other eyesores in the area. I don't know its probably 5 years and counting and its still isn't complete. However I'm betting that the Meijer up Woodward will be built and open before the church is done.
    Last edited by firstandten; May-21-12 at 09:16 PM.

I hope the charges aren't dropped just for the sake of "lenience"-- these clowns will do it again if given the chance, regardless of the new public scrutiny.. you can be "forgiven" but still face the consequences..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I hope the charges aren't dropped just for the sake of "lenience"-- these clowns will do it again if given the chance, regardless of the new public scrutiny.. you can be "forgiven" but still face the consequences..
    Indeed just the opposite needs to happen here. This has been a high profile case right from the start, and is a perfect opportunity to make examples out of these scum.

The DPD needs to put together all the evidence for the Wayne county prosecutor tho have an iron clad case, and then throw the book at the animals involved!

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post

Of that there is little doubt.

I believe he got the same from the No Snitch Street Network as well.

The DPD has to play this down now...don't want the people having higher expectations of 'em.

Like when Sport answered a call of a guy taking a dump in public, and they happened to be driving by...and caught him before he pulled his pants up.

I wondered at that time if the same PR company who is spinning the fun of waiting in an ER room would be able to use that in an image-improving ad.

“We'll get the shit before you wipe your butt.”

Well, well now ! I see the other shoe has dropped. It seems like pastor Winans was driving on a suspended license and had a warrant out for his arrest.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

I loved the excuse he gave that he was not aware of the situation because his people take care of those types of things. Why didn't he just tell his staff that he got pulled over for a ticket[[s) and to take care of it when the paperwork came.

Buy American Guest

It's another example of a person not taking responsibility for your own actions and placing the blame on others. 11 tickets since 2009, various other infractions and run-ins with DPD and he's still driving.... does he think he is "above the law" because he's a man of God....I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    does he think he is "above the law" because he's a man of God....I think so.
    Probably because he has money. No matter where he got it.

I'd be curious to know if he has a legitimate theology degree.

I'd be curious to know if he has a legitimate theology degree.
    Degree or not the tree of Sweet Daddy Grace, Prophet Jones and Father Divine bore good fruit.

An interesting and thoughtful take on the Marvin Winans incident.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthe...b_1538806.html

Here we have a Preacher living the high life off the backs of his believers, flaunting the law, [[which doesn't apply to him), by driving on his expired license because his aides didn't tell him not too [[!) even though there was a Warrent out for his arrest, and he's outed by a group of criminals that steal his expensive car. Its reminiscent of Johnathon Swift's little fleas feeding of the backs of bigger fleas feeding off......Priceless!

Sorry, but this news that the good Rev. is a criminal himself has really changed my views on this subject. Yes, I realize his crimes aren't of a violent nature, but it seems like a situation of young thugs preying on an older thug.

It's almost fair retribution. He steals from the poor, and their offspring come and take it back.

Oh the spinning Winans is doing to explain himself is making me dizzy. Back in the day we had a term for folks like him.. pulpit pimp but since thats not very PC now days I'll call him the celebrity pastor the term currently in use.

Buy American Guest

Ticketed at least 15 times since 2005, once for driving 95 M.P.H.!
    Falsifying information to get his license reinstated...doesn't sound like he's someone I'd like to be my role model. Was he actually beaten?

http://www.freep.com/article/20120524/NEWS01/120524076

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast