Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I noticed that unused 2 story parking garage right there. Assuming its city owned, thats why its not maintained and used. Would help with the parking a bit. I'm sure people would glady pay $5 to park there.

Anyone know about this parking garage? Would help the madhouse at EM a little bit. It looks like it could hold a good 400 cars if its 3 levels.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.348...c=near&layer=t
    Last edited by BEEAH; July-25-12 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post
    Anyone know about this parking garage? Would help the madhouse at EM a little bit. It looks like it could hold a good 400 cars if its 3 levels.

Maybe. It could also make it more of a madhouse. I like the way the casual user of Eastern Market is better off parking, walking a few blocks in, and then it's relatively traffic free in the thick of it. Inviting motorists to park closer, then having a stream of cars coming out of a blind building on Riopelle with people walking along it might frustrate both car traffic and foot traffic. I mean, people go to Royal Oak and think nothing of parking and walking a couple blocks. Why not at Eastern Market too?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Maybe. It could also make it more of a madhouse. I like the way the casual user of Eastern Market is better off parking, walking a few blocks in, and then it's relatively traffic free in the thick of it. Inviting motorists to park closer, then having a stream of cars coming out of a blind building on Riopelle with people walking along it might frustrate both car traffic and foot traffic. I mean, people go to Royal Oak and think nothing of parking and walking a couple blocks. Why not at Eastern Market too?
    yeah. because that is an apt comparison. Gee, I wonder why folks generally prefer to park close to EM rather than leaving their car unattended over at St. Aubin & Erksine ...or parking across a 6 lane major thoroughfare....or parking across I75/375.... I mean, really?
    Last edited by bailey; July-26-12 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    yeah. because that is an apt comparison. Gee, I wonder why folks generally prefer to park close to EM rather than leaving their car unattended over on Erksine or Brewster or Watson ...or parking across a 6 lane major thoroughfare....or parking across I75/375.... I mean, really?
    I've never had any bad experiences parking around Eastern Market. Generally, you have so many people walking to and from parking areas that it's pretty safe. And it's getting safer.

By the same token, gee, I wonder what I'd rather do on a Saturday afternoon: go get some Bloody Marys at Vivio's and cruise home or go to Royal Oak, have two beers and sweat blood the entire way home wondering if the police are going to pull me over and I'm going to get reamed for thousands of dollars...

Quote Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post

This seems to be the same parking garage you talk about in both your posts. It's run by the City/ParkRite. I use it all the time when I go there. It's $5 to park, hardly ever filled, & a good shady place for your car when it's sunny out. I guess some people don't want to pay to park, so they try the streets & surface lot. For me, it's worth the $5 to use the garage.

I park in that garage when the market is busy. I find I don't have the patience to dodge pedestrians and fork lifts while driving so I hear right for it.

I think that if you're not used to being charged to park, paying anything to park becomes intolerable.

From the entrance on Riopelle Street, it says
    city of Detroit Municipal Parking Department -no public parking.

Last edited by thnk2mch; July-26-12 at 01:19 PM.

hard to believe anyone would just now be getting to eastern market. i've been going there for 35+ years, and know many, many others who have as well. still, glad to see all the improvements that are bringing more in.

i find it kinda funny that people who come to EM every saturday and wait at the mack exit, have not figured out in this day and age to google map it and find the other ways to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    i find it kinda funny that people who come to EM every saturday and wait at the mack exit, have not figured out in this day and age to google map it and find the other ways to get there.

Be quiet, Chin! You're going to screw up the rest of our shortcuts if you keep talking.

You should see how nice they line up west of the official stadium exit on I-75 off of I-96...for miles, all in a row playing nice [[relatively)...for that Grand River exit.

Saw two guys who'd had a fender-bender waiting for the state cops...it was pretty cute. They were from where the cops come when you call.

Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3