Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The seat looks like old t bird .
    The bumper looks like someone made it .
    Last edited by black gold man; May-18-12 at 11:14 AM.

new side view
    Name:  hp2.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  44.8 KB

Some kind of chopped Ford Falcon? Or a prototype of one?

Now that I have seen the side view and clicked onto the link shown in post #27

"Price: $49,999
    Car is a concept car built maybe by Nation car company out of Newy York Car was to be called American Jet. Car is 90% complete with some engineering drawings, other paperwork..

Engine and drive train all there, interior all intact.."

IMHO it does not appear to be a production car. Whether it is a "concept car" from NYC would be up to debate. Maybe that was thrown out by the seller in order to justify the [[high) asking price. A Google search for the claimed National Car Co. brought only one response - the ad with the "concept" car for sale.

It could be someone's idea of a "customized" car. You would have to see more details, such as the motor, rear end and interior to see if it is combination of existing parts as compared one-off parts for a "concept" car. Frankly, the seats looked AMC to me and without the Fed required head restraints the seats would be 1968 or earlier.

This is related to the earlier thread [[linked below) by the same poster as the OP here, asking about the "American Jet Car." But in that thread he/she said that the plans showed a Detroit address. I'd be curious to know what that address is, as it may provide a real clue as to the origin of this vehicle.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...rmation-needed

Nice catch.

As for this vehicle, it makes more sense now to consider it a one-off...possibly a proof-of-concept show car, but not production.

Explains the plastic bumpers...and that windshield that looks to be a huge wrapped-curve thing. Extraordinarily difficult to make in quantity back then...

So yeah, sure. Fifty grand. Right. Knew a guy who had one of seventeen Mustang hard-top prototypes from '67...and that wasn't worth fifty grand. It should've been...

Cheers

The front end, big windshield area, and interior look like a Rambler, and the rear end looks like it came off of something like a '58 Buick. I wonder what kind of engine it has in it? From the ad linked by kenp above it looks like the car is just up in St. Clair [[although the phone # given seems to be in Alabama). Perhaps the OP should simply contact the owner for more information or to go see the car [[and then tell us what he finds out).
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-22-12 at 12:11 PM.

The phone number the OP gave in the first post is the same number in the ad KenP posted. Odd.

I do think it looks some kind of Nash or Hudson show car, but I'm troubled by the roof -- it looks like it was added after the car was built

Is there a VIN plate on the dashboard? The VIN should point you to the manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The phone number the OP gave in the first post is the same number in the ad KenP posted. Odd.
    It seems a strong possibility that the original poster, Vetteor442, is the owner of this car and is trying to gather some more information about what he/she actually has.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It seems a strong possibility that the original poster, Vetteor442, is the owner of this car and is trying to gather some more information about what he/she actually has.
    Yes, I realized that after I went and looked at his other 3 posts in other threads regarding the same vehicle. Thanks, though

if you google 251-786-9393 or vetteor442 you will see a bunch of ad's or help looking for info from this guy.
    One ad says its in dry storage and then shows the pic of it in the snow.
    I also think its a customized rambler with a differant back and chopped top.
    I emailled the guy for more pics or an address in St Clair

Something else has just occurred to me too. Since this car seems to involve some Rambler parts, could the "American Jet" have been some sort of AMC protoype or concept car? [[And the "National Car Co." possibly an AMC offshoot?) After all, AMC was already producing a small car [[well, small for the time) called the Rambler American. And just a few years earlier Hudson was producing its short-lived "small car" called the Jet. Presumably, AMC, which resulted from a merger of Hudson and Nash, would have still owned the rights to the "Jet" name. So, "American Jet" would have made sense as a potential AMC name for this type of car.

Looking at the profile of the car again, including the wheel wells, it sure looks a lot like someone cut the middle out of a '58 Rambler Ambassador.

Last edited by EastsideAl; May-22-12 at 02:19 PM.

Google books had this from Steel Magazine in 1962..

1962 - Snippet view
    Another New Car? The American Jet AVANTI ISN'T the only car with a fiber glass body due to appear this year. American Jet Corp., New York, is apparently making a second attempt to get its two seater sports car on the road — it was ...

Thats a good lead rooms.

And, if the body is fiberglass it would explain why there doesn't seem to be a spot of rust on it.

I got in contact with the op via email. I ask if I could see the car and he said yes, its in St Clair.
    And since the fiberglass angle came up I got in touch with a guy who is obsessed with old fiberglass cars and he is all over it, though not any clue yet.
    He has a site called forgottenfiberglass.com
    He is going to interogate the OP hehe

"Detroit Leftovers"

these are looking close: http://world-viewer.com/photos/studebaker-lark-viii/11/ http://world-viewer.com/photos/stude...marshal-r1/01/

Studebaker was getting into fiberglass at the time. I'm almost ready to put money on it being one of their prototypes

That is close and I did some research on Studebaker as well
    I just got a email from the fiberglass guy I had checking this out. He told me to call him he has good news.....

Had a long conversation with Geoff Hacker of Forgottenfiberglass.com
    Dude knows his fiberglass
    He said the car is worth about $2000
    He sent an article which I will post
    Also Rb336 was correct, it had a Studebaker connection
    Name:  Seagrave Car Life June 1961.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  73.4 KB

Ah-Hah! Great work! So I wonder how long this thing sat in that garage in Fraser?

I was going to question that based on the "B" pillar. The one in question above looked to have an opera style window. But I can't tell for sure, it may just be caked snow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast