Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Granite City Brewery/Restaurant looking for high profile location in downtown Detroit

I'm not a huge fan of the chain breweries, but it's cool a local guy investing back in Michigan.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012050...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Very cool - sounds like a great business [[hopefully) coming downtown.

3. Default

Not quite downtown but, IMO, the best available location that would seemingly fit their bill is the former Agave / Stewart's / Alexander's / Gregory's just across Canfield from the Whitney. Lots of space, outdoor patio and plenty of parking. Just don't tell them that it seems cursed.

But they have one in Troy...

Quote Originally Posted by D_Town View Post
    But they have one in Troy...
    Which is the only one opening.

Again... the standard MO of our local media with breathless reporting of a fantasy scenario. Would they "like" to open a Detroit location sometime in the undefined future and undefined location? Sounds like it. Will they? Remains to be seen.

But as for now, the only thing that is actually happening is the opening of another bland corporate lunch spot for a bland corporate section of the burbs. woo hoo.

this is the first time i've heard of this chain. anybody been to any other locations across the country? Quality food?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Which is the only one opening.

Again... the standard MO of our local media with breathless reporting of a fantasy scenario. Would they "like" to open a Detroit location sometime in the undefined future and undefined location? Sounds like it. Will they? Remains to be seen.

But as for now, the only thing that is actually happening is the opening of another bland corporate lunch spot for a bland corporate section of the burbs. woo hoo.
    Seriously.

The Free Press Business section is also often one of their stranger and sloppier sections of the paper, I have noticed, as well:
    "As the pair returns to their native Michigan as successful national restaurateurs, they're opening their latest upscale casual restaurant in Troy at Big Beaver and I-75, not far from the street that historically divided metro Detroit."
    8 Mile??

As much as I think they'd do well if they got a spot near Comerica Park it sure doesn't sound like they have any serious interest in the city.

"It's perfectly situated for people on the east side and the west side."
    I guess some people are really liberal with our definitions of east side and west side... This Detroit eastsider is a half hour away...not that I'd go there...I hope they work hard, succeed and bring their business to the city, though

Their new location is about a mile from my office in Troy. It looks like they are just about finished with it, although I'm not sure the opening date. I'll probably get around to eating there eventually. Anyone ever eaten at one of these places?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    this is the first time i've heard of this chain. anybody been to any other locations across the country? Quality food?
    I've been to a couple of Granite City restaurants across the country, and while I find their beer good, their food is typical and overpriced---you know that every recognizable chain restaurants' food tastes the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by CityGirl View Post
    I've been to a couple of Granite City restaurants across the country, and while I find their beer good, their food is typical and overpriced---you know that every recognizable chain restaurants' food tastes the same category.
    I'm kind of in the opposite boat. I don't prefer chain restaurants, but I find their food slightly better than average. I find their beer pretty lacking.

Agreed..I've been to the BJ's Brewhouse restaurant chains and the beer is so- so. Granite City is unique in that they truck in the liquid wort from South Dakota for fermentation on site to keep their costs low. I'll stop by and give it a try this month--I saw they open today in Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I'm kind of in the opposite boat. I don't prefer chain restaurants, but I find their food slightly better than average. I find their beer pretty lacking.
    Granite City is not too bad overall. For chain breweries I like Rock Bottom a little better, for beer and food. I would not travel a long way to go to a GC or a RB, but either would be a nice option if you are in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DLife View Post
    Agreed..I've been to the BJ's Brewhouse restaurant chains and the beer is so- so. Granite City is unique in that they truck in the liquid wort from South Dakota for fermentation on site to keep their costs low. I'll stop by and give it a try this month--I saw they open today in Troy.
    This is interesting to me. The beer I have had at GC is brewed on site. You can see the brewhouse and all the equipment from the dining area.

I had their salmon and rice with asparagus, most recently. Yucky. I could have made it myself and done a better job.

BJ's Brewpub [[brewhouse?) has HAD good food, but of late, when I ate there just this last time I visited, their portions were greatly reduced and their prices raised. They have reduced the options on their menu, too.

I much prefer the independent brew pubs that are not chains.

I will agree that Rock Bottom has both good beer and good food.
    Last edited by CityGirl; May-08-12 at 04:31 PM.

On a side note, if you want my take on good beers, here are MY personal favorites:
    Schlafly Kolsch
    Sun King anything
    Boulevard Wheat
    Sam Adams Noble Pils
    Hacker Schorr Hefe Weizen [[on tap, preferably)
    Tomos Watkin Cwrw Haf
    Smithwicks