Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pavilion Apartments

Any readers live or have lived in the Pavilion Apartments in Lafayette Park? If so, love to hear the pros and cons.

Thanks much!

Much better than Lafayette Towers. Updated cabinets, bathroom and kitchen fixtures, 24 hour security

I lived here from 2005 to 2009. Only reason I moved out was I bought a house. It was a perfect place for me and where I was with my life. Suburban male in his 20s looking to experience downtown for a few years. Never had any major problems. Minor issues w noise from neighbors on occasion, but mgmt handled.

I lived there from December 2008 to last month. Loved it. A few minor incidents, nothing different than living in any other city. Great price, location, etc. Management tolerated no nonsense. A lot of the studio apartments are rented by Wayne State med school students and UD Mercy law students, who are not really party types. Tigers used to rent one place for grounds crew interns, but don't know if they still do. Secure parking, walking distance of everything, etc. The pool is really nice in summertime, and they redid one of the corner units into a new gym last year. Nice little business center, too, and having the full convenience store on the first floor is REALLY nice.

Sen. Levin lives there when he's not in Washington, and other notable Detroit folks have lived there. Management always took care of fixes and problems very quickly. When the a/c system broke last summer, they brought in a temporary condenser, or some machine, on a flatbed for $45,000 a week [[or some crazy price). It was huge and helped until new machinery could be manufactured.

I liked living there because you could see your rent money at work -- landscaping crew every other week, pool parties with catered food, wine, entertainment, etc. I think it's the best rental property in downtown Detroit for its price [[2 bedroom was about $1k a month). Also, they have their own electrical company, so it was about $50 a month.

Only downside is the a/c and heat is controlled by the building, not in the individual units. They turn on the a/c in May.

I moved out only because we needed more space [[I have a kindergartener part-time) and needed to be in the 'burbs for driving convenience. I highly recommend the Pavilion.

Thanks all, I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    I lived there from December 2008 to last month. Loved it. A few minor incidents, nothing different than living in any other city. Great price, location, etc. Management tolerated no nonsense. A lot of the studio apartments are rented by Wayne State med school students and UD Mercy law students, who are not really party types. Tigers used to rent one place for grounds crew interns, but don't know if they still do. Secure parking, walking distance of everything, etc. The pool is really nice in summertime, and they redid one of the corner units into a new gym last year. Nice little business center, too, and having the full convenience store on the first floor is REALLY nice.

Sen. Levin lives there when he's not in Washington, and other notable Detroit folks have lived there. Management always took care of fixes and problems very quickly. When the a/c system broke last summer, they brought in a temporary condenser, or some machine, on a flatbed for $45,000 a week [[or some crazy price). It was huge and helped until new machinery could be manufactured.

I liked living there because you could see your rent money at work -- landscaping crew every other week, pool parties with catered food, wine, entertainment, etc. I think it's the best rental property in downtown Detroit for its price [[2 bedroom was about $1k a month). Also, they have their own electrical company, so it was about $50 a month.

Only downside is the a/c and heat is controlled by the building, not in the individual units. They turn on the a/c in May.

I moved out only because we needed more space [[I have a kindergartener part-time) and needed to be in the 'burbs for driving convenience. I highly recommend the Pavilion.
    Just a clarification on the electrical company. The electrical company that they use is only the utility billing company. As a resident there, you are essentially just reimbursing the management for electrical used. Either a member of mgmt or a rep from the billing company reads the meter. The upside to this is that there are individual meters for electric, so you only pay for what you use. Some property management companies use a RUBS system which is essentially just taking the entire utility bill for the complex and dividing it up by each apartment, so everyone pays the same amount.