Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

From my friend who was just by there: "Al Deeby has already pasted the whole thing over with a new advertisement for their car dealership that they moved out of the city."

Stay proud, Hamtramck ...

“Anyone who knows his art history will testify that what is happening now always happens when the public is given important work. The man out in front is always the target for the abuse of a public that never sees the beautiful until an artist shows it to them, and usually crucifies the artist. For reference on this point, read the lives of Michelangelo, Leonard da Vinci — or for that matter, the life of any big artist. Michelango portrayed as devils the churchmen who tried to interfere with him when he was doing the Sistine Chapel. Rembrandt was just as guilty of charges of sacrileges as [Diego] Rivera. But who throws stones at Rembrandt today? The world has seen many examples of religious fanaticism. And always the Church has lived to be ashamed of such manifestations.” —Albert Kahn

these are all out of towners and even internationals. They are sponsored by paint companies and receive their cans free.

So, yeah, upon further review, I stand by my earlier statements. These are cheesy cartoon images and don't really go with a functioning residential community. Sorry guys, I'm voting with the petitioners on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    So, yeah, upon further review, I stand by my earlier statements. These are cheesy cartoon images and don't really go with a functioning residential community. Sorry guys, I'm voting with the petitioners on this one.

Why are they cheesy cartoon images? If anything Hamtramck needs these images to add light to the community. Would you rather the international art community stay out of "your Hamtramck?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    DN... gotta love how they think that taking cell phone images from a public sidewalk is something the police will stop... lol...
    You would be amazed at how many police think its illegal as well and threaten to arrest people for it.

There's an interesting tension here. I mean, I don't know jack about street art. And for those who are coming here to paint, sponsored by the company, their attitude seems to be that street art is "over" because of promotions like this. It's funny because this is all so fresh and new to me. I feel like the kid who finally started getting into break dancing in 1989.

I think it's a good thing. I like it. I can see people being upset over the fact that it's not done by local artists, but I think it's good exposure for Hamtramck on an international level. It's making me think of the blank wall behind my business, and how a cool mural might brighten up the alley. I am irked that people in Hamtramck got together to complain about art of any kind when the city has much more serious problems.

Where do you draw the line. What is a mural and what is graffiti or tagging? Be careful what you ask for!

Detroitnerd, why do you say above that you don't know "jack" about street art? That is so not true.

So, now comment on the "bombing" of the Hamtramck "street art." Do "street artists" think that their gentlemen's agreement will protect their stuff from the kids who don't know or care about that? The kids that don't know who Rosa Parks and Pastor Winans are/were?

Possibly from their perspective, brickwork painted over with cartoons just invites an overlay of more paint, like modern palimpsest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2