Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I like to think Joanne Watson appeals to only the most ignorant residents in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    While not being"ünique"" to give extra consideration to minority contractors and needed for that matter in some circumstances , Detroits method and selection process criteria for "minority"" contract awards is the most stringent of the top 15 metropolitan cities in the nation. It would not cut the mustard anywhere else, maybe because of different racial makeups or maybe because its just bad busiiness in the long run to consistently prefer certain individuals, as evidenced by the calamity of crime that happened here when one group of business people basically feel they own any and or all contracts. The minority definition seems to be catered to the population which comprises 85 percent or more of the population base. It would be proper and correct for the city to refer to it as a contract process that should be awarded to the "majority "population base. It would make most people , including myself, cringe to think cities with large caucasian populations would have a process that made sure the majority of the contracts are awarded to like contractors and that they have to submit documentation to make sure they are caucasian. Pretty scary stuff. Smacks of the old south. Two wrongs never make a right.
    Can you provide information to confirm that Detroit's criteria differs significantly from any other city in the top 20 list? I'm skeptical, but I'd be interested in seeing it.

However, not to split hairs, but Detroit is not a top 15 city any more. And if we're talking about the metropolitan area then it's irrelevant to say that Detroit is a predominantly black city because the black population of Metro Detroit is less than 20% of the total population.

The council should be promoting Detroit run businesses run by people who actually live in the city proper and also employ people from the local community, regardless of race, in my opinion. When your customers are also your neighbors, I would think that this would be very beneficial as the business owner has more of a stake in his/her neighborhood. This would also lead to more black owned businesses, strictly based on demographics although again, the council should primarily be examining the quality of the person's business model. To me, this is the best and most effective way to help promote a sense of community and stable neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitgirl View Post
    The council should be promoting Detroit run businesses run by people who actually live in the city proper and also employ people from the local community, regardless of race, in my opinion. When your customers are also your neighbors, I would think that this would be very beneficial as the business owner has more of a stake in his/her neighborhood. This would also lead to more black owned businesses, strictly based on demographics although again, the council should primarily be examining the quality of the person's business model. To me, this is the best and most effective way to help promote a sense of community and stable neighborhoods.
    It wouldn't and hasn't had your desired outcome. All kinds of plans like this have been in place for city residents / minorities and women, too btw [[see Coleman's Executive Order 22 mandating workers being 50% Detroit, 25% minority, and 5% women).

When you pass these laws, what you get is increased cost to the city by limiting the bidding, and contracts awarded to slimy firms who setup little 'paper companies' that meet the requirements and funnel the money away from your goals.

It doesn't work. Just try running a city to run a city -- not as an expensive social experiment. That'll do more good for residents.

I never said anything about making any laws or establishing quotas. I agree that it isn't always practical or possible to give contracts to locals, although I still think it's more desirable. I was thinking more about establishing programs, especially in conjunction with non-profits [[since city resources are so limited right now), to facilitate access to capital/training and other resources to local residents for new startups.

9mile&seneca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I love it how people who aren't exactly freedom riders love to jump in with both feet when they think they see an instance of racism from anybody darker than a paper bag.

White people are funny. On the street, they're all, like, totally not racist. "Racism is in the past now! Let's leave the past in the past!"

And then you should hear how they talk in the barber shop ...
    I don't give a damn how white people or black people talk in barber shops. Everyone is prejudiced to some degree about anyone different from themselves. But any government body discriminating against anyone on account of race is just as wrong now as it was 40 years ago when whites were taught how evil it was.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ... what law allows ...
    equals this ==> "what law does not specifically forbid ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Speaking of law... can anyone explain what law allows a city to discriminate on the basis of race?
    Historically our country has either allowed or not forbade discrimination at all levels of society. Federal. State. Local and Municipal. Private.

Racial and ethnic profiling occur everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitgirl View Post
    I think you're analysis is correct...but only if the people in the community are qualified to run businesses as good or better than the competition.

In other words, in a tied match, where a city-residing business owner submits a proposal that's exactly the same in quality and price as someone from the suburbs or from out-of-state...then OF COURSE they should give it to the guy from the city.

Here's the problem...

We're not generally getting competitive bids from our community. Look at the potential financial board members that the city council is considering. Almost none of them are from the city. And even the ones who ARE from the city wouldn't go near the board with a 10-foot-pole because they know that the likely decisions that need to be made are also the same ones that are politically unpopular.

Look at this way. If you need an emergency heart transplant, do you really care where the doctor is from? Hell, I don't care if he's from Afghanistan. I just want the best damned cardiologist that I can find and afford.

I'm a Detroiter. And yes, I agree that people who live in Mt. Clemens don't really understand what we live with. The problem is that most of the people who live in the city don't have specialized knowledge to perform a municipal turnaround. And for those that do...they excuse themselves from consideration because they know the things they'll do means that they have to watch their back every waking moment they're going about their business in the city.

This sucks. But when weighing geo-poltical loyalty vs. specialized knowledge and qualifications....Why would anyone choose the former?
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; May-04-12 at 07:31 PM.

Heck, even Eminem needs to prove he is black to some degree, what's the dealio?

I dont mind if the surgeon is afghan, I dont care if the donor is afghan as long he aint no hound dog...

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I am not a boat owner, but in front of council and community meetings I have heard the horror stories of his gross mismanagement of Harbor Hill Marina by boat owners.
    I know that many of you are questioning City of Detroit purchasing practices as it relates to minorities, but in this specific case of Mr. Morgan because of the Harbor Hill Marina situation and others he was targeted by the administration.

In the news piece he was perceived to be harassed by the city trying to put him out of business for no reason, but as sumas stated I think its more to it than whats on the surface.

Is there any REAL possible way of proving ones race? I mean for instance, I have Irish, English, Eastern Indian, American Indian, and African in my lineage. However, most people who would see me on the street would say I'm completely black because my skin is dark.

I mean to be honest the whole concept of race is made up in the first place, why is it that this is where everything starts, and stops in the city?

9mile&seneca Guest

Genectically speaking, we are the same. The difference is literaly skin deep.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    Is there any REAL possible way of proving ones race? I mean for instance, I have Irish, English, Eastern Indian, American Indian, and African in my lineage. However, most people who would see me on the street would say I'm completely black because my skin is dark.

I mean to be honest the whole concept of race is made up in the first place, why is it that this is where everything starts, and stops in the city?
    Because it works to get some people what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post

The concept of race might be a creation of our imagination. But that doesn't change the fact that for centuries, people were treated differently in society on the basis of this "imaginary creation."

In other words, the race might be imagined. The oppression is real.

Since society is destined to stratify and sort themselves in to categories for the immediate future, we would all be better served if that stratification shifted from race-based to socio-economic based. I still am conflicted about the fact that economic and social power is concentrated into different social strata of society. But if we're going to do it, then at least let's do it on things that we can exert some level of control over, such as work ethic, commitment to growth and improvement, education, socially productive behavior, etc.

If you want to exclude me because I'm a drag on society or because I'm unreliable, inconsiderate, or rude....I'm fine with that. Just don't do it because of something I had no control over -- the color of my parents' skin.

If any of you haven't already, check out his housing development [[Morgan Estates) on the eastside. They're very nice. Too bad they aren't selling and he's losing them to tax foreclosures. Then again, not too many people can afford 50-60,000 dollar tax bills living here in the D.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Since society is destined to stratify and sort themselves in to categories for the immediate future, we would all be better served if that stratification shifted from race-based to socio-economic based.
    I 100% agree.

Folks spend too much time worry about "minorities" because, in general, they are worse off than non-minorities. Let's target people who are of a low socio-economic status for aide, that way everyone is helped regardless of race.

For example, if your goal is to feed the hungry, you don't decide to feed minorities, because, in general they're more likely to be hungry and poor. Instead, you target just that, hungry people in need of food regardless of race.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3