Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default legitimate reasons to have a catheter nin your arm?

Went to visit someone to assist them with something today. The person had a catheter in their arm sticking out under the shirt. Says Doctors Orders. My mom was a nurse told my long time ago that these things were used by addicts. Is there any legitimate reason that a doctor would put you on some home therapy with a catheter in you arm?

I'm not sure about one located in the arm, but there are 100's of reasons for using one and most have nothing to do with illegal drug use. My neighbor wears one as he is being treated for prostate cancer, and I have a cousin who has to wear one for pain control due to nerve damage in his back.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-02-12 at 06:32 PM.

Here are a couple Wikipedia articles that might help:

I had one in my arm, although it wasn't called a 'catheter'; it was called a pic line and it was there for me to be able to inject IV antibiotics twice a day to combat Lyme disease.

My question has been answered. Thank you all.

My adult son gets a picc line from time to time to battle lung infections due to cystic fibrosis

My 96-yr-old father currently has a picc line for IV infusion of antibiotics to help heal a wound in his leg.