Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cinco de Mayo 2012

Distinguished posters,
    What's good for Cinco de Mayo in SW Detroit this year? I know there is the parade on Sunday but we're looking for libations on the 5th of May. Anything remotely respectful of the culture would also be most welcome [[we'd like to drink and have a good time but hopefully sans things like Chili's and Bud Lime). Are there bars that celebrate in SW that are not totally obnoxious? Hope this makes sense. Too tall an order, perhaps?

The parade is still on? in detroit? with the budget crisis stuff going on, I was wondering.. I wouldn't mind checking it out.. hopefully it won't be raining..

Outdoor Fiesta on Sat from 1-9 at 21st & Bagley in the
    Mexicantown district. Sun the parade starts at noon at
    Patton Park and ends at Clark Park - from Woodmere & Vernor to Clark & Vernor - followed by music, food and celebration back at the Bagley fiesta site from 1-8

First of all Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican Revolution Day when the Mexicans won the war against French occupation under the ruthless emperor Maximillian. It's not a American national holiday we have no purpose to celebrate that holiday. American treated Cinco de Mayo like its St.Patrick's Day; going into Mexican Restuarants and Cabanas rather than respecting the Mexican revolutionary culture. I urge all Americans to leave Cinco de Mayo alone. It's for Mexicans only and its their day for a Free and independent Mexico.

I'm not sure most of the hard working latinos and latinas working in those restaurants would agree with you, Danny. Cinco de Mayo pays the rent for many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    First of all Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican Revolution Day when the Mexicans won the war against French occupation under the ruthless emperor Maximillian. It's not a American national holiday we have no purpose to celebrate that holiday. American treated Cinco de Mayo like its St.Patrick's Day; going into Mexican Restuarants and Cabanas rather than respecting the Mexican revolutionary culture. I urge all Americans to leave Cinco de Mayo alone. It's for Mexicans only and its their day for a Free and independent Mexico.
    Actually in America it is more of a day to celebrate the Mexican heritage, how is that a bad thing?

In addition, it actually is not their independence day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_mayo

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Actually in America it is more of a day to celebrate the Mexican heritage, how is that a bad thing?

In addition, it actually is not their independence day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_mayo
    When non-Mexican folks make Cinco de Mayo like St.Patrick's Day, [[ As in Going into bars and drink until their hangovers) not only they took the Mexican heritage away but also making a it a corporate media sponsored event.

Looks like Danny won't be part of the fun. His loss not mine!

I urge all Americans to leave Cinco de Mayo alone. It's for Mexicans only and its their day for a Free and independent Mexico.
    Mexicans don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It's generally only celebrated in the U.S.

And, no, it has nothing to do with Mexican Independence. It celebrates a relatively minor battle against the French in the state of Puebla, but has since become a big party day north of the border.

My guess is that Cinco de Mayo parties in SW Detroit will be for the gringos, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Mexicans don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It's generally only celebrated in the U.S.

And, no, it has nothing to do with Mexican Independence. It celebrates a relatively minor battle against the French in the state of Puebla, but has since become a big party day north of the border.

My guess is that Cinco de Mayo parties in SW Detroit will be for the gringos, mostly.
    Most of them do in Mexico, U.S. in all over the world. Non Mexican Americans can't celebrate it and turning it into St.Patty's Day!

By the Way the State of Puebla is in Mexico where the revolution begins and ends.

Most of them do in Mexico, U.S. in all over the world. Non Mexican Americans can't celebrate it and turning it into St.Patty's Day!

By the Way the State of Puebla is in Mexico where the revolution begins and ends.
    I think you are just trolling to say "Non Mexican Americans can't celebrate blah blah blah."

I am half Mexican and any Mexican I have known has NEVER said that. Not to mention it is encouraged to go out and drink... I would almost call it human nature to find an excuse to celebrate and drink [[regardless of background!).

I don't like hijacking holidays that are meaningful to other cultures but see no reason why others can't join in the celebration. In fact to exclude groups [[except for sacred holidays) is quite xenephobic. Enjoying alcohol doesn't automatically make the celebration a farce, on the contrary most Western [[and well beyond) nations have since ancient times incorporated alcohol into celebrations.
    Rest assured I know the meaning of the holiday. I also am fond of Mexican culture and think the now-long-peaceful relationship between the North American democracies should be celebrated. Both Mexico and the US had to fight multiple, bloody wars against colonial powers to be rightfully independent. That is common ground we can share. Speaking of democracy, I can do as I damn well please and I'm going to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
    I was excited to see the additional responses until it turned out it was just Danny trolling the thread

Furthermore, Danny and Bham1982, if Cinco de Mayo is a nothing but a contrived gringo holiday and insult to Mexican-American culture, how do you explain the 48th Annual Cinco de Mayo Parade hosted by the Mexican Patriot Committe of Metropolitan Detroit in southwest Detroit? The parade is enjoyed by many Latinos and gringos. As for only gringos going to the bars, I had a chance to help out one of the Mexicantown restaurants a few years ago. I was at the auxiliary bar, and I would guess more than half of the customers I served were Latino. I recall being amused because most of the Latinos ordered Bud or Bud Light, while the white folk ordered Dos Equis or Corona.

When non-Mexican folks make Cinco de Mayo like St.Patrick's Day, [[ As in Going into bars and drink until their hangovers) not only they took the Mexican heritage away but also making a it a corporate media sponsored event.

You could say the same thing about Christmas. Should non-Mexicans get upset when Mexicans celebrate Christmas? Fact is, we desperately need holidays in the US, so we take whatever we can get, and commercializing stuff is just in our DNA.

I think all holidays should be as inclusive as possible. I'm glad Mexicans were able to assert their independence and preserve their local culture. It's horrific what happened to the Native Americans in the US territories, and I'd like to hope we can move towards a more inclusive future.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Furthermore, Danny and Bham1982, if Cinco de Mayo is a nothing but a contrived gringo holiday and insult to Mexican-American culture, how do you explain the 48th Annual Cinco de Mayo Parade hosted by the Mexican Patriot Committe of Metropolitan Detroit in southwest Detroit?
    I never claimed Cinco de Mayo is a contrived holiday, nor did I claim its an insult to Mexicans or Mexican Americans.

I just corrected Danny, who claimed it had something to do with Mexican Independence [[it doesn't) and that it's celebrated in Mexico [[it isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    The parade is enjoyed by many Latinos and gringos. As for only gringos going to the bars, I had a chance to help out one of the Mexicantown restaurants a few years ago. I was at the auxiliary bar, and I would guess more than half of the customers I served were Latino. I recall being amused because most of the Latinos ordered Bud or Bud Light, while the white folk ordered Dos Equis or Corona.
    I'm sure many Mexican Americans in the U.S. celebrate Cinco de Mayo. That's super. My point is that it isn't a Mexican celebration. They're celebrating because they're Americans in the U.S. celebrating a fun day for all.

They're celebrating because they're Americans in the U.S. celebrating a fun day for all.
    I'm just going to assume you're not Mexican. and even if you were, I don't know why you think you can speak on behalf of an entire ethnicity and why they're celebrating.

I seriously don't know why I post on this board anymore. The most innocuous thread like "what's fun in Detroit this weekend?" [[ironically most people on this board would be some of the last people to know the answer to that) turns into mindless arguments.

http://www.eatitdetroit.com/
    This looks fun. If you dont' like it, shut up. Out of 16 posts it's only the second that is relevant to my original query.
    Last edited by poobert; May-02-12 at 02:58 PM.

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
    H. L. Mencken

Also, The Detroit Bus company is advertising that they will be running for Cinco De Mayo. This is a link to the stops that they will have and will be going till 2:30am. Says it only costs 5$ to us for the whole day... definitely thinking about doing it haha.

http://thedetroitbus.com/dailyroutes/

May 1st is a national holiday in Mexico [[their version of labor day).
    May the 5th is a business as usual day.
    Most people in Mexico don't know what Cinco De Mayo is.
    Party on Detroit!

...that it's celebrated in Mexico [[it isn't).

My point is that it isn't a Mexican celebration. They're celebrating because they're Americans in the U.S. celebrating a fun day for all.
    I suppose these mexicans, in Mexico, just dress like this and gather in the streets as a daily occurence?

It is celebrated in mexico, it's just a regional holiday, celebraded in Puebla.