Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bring "Capitol Punishment" or the "Death Penalty" in here, that should help. Hopefully some of these clowns might think twice before commiting heinous crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Bring "Capitol Punishment" or the "Death Penalty" in here, that should help. Hopefully some of these clowns might think twice before commiting heinous crimes.
    Well, Cincinnati, I don't quite agree with you. I have no real moral problem with a person guilty of a heinous act being executed, if that is proscribed in the law. But in reality, the death penalty has lots of problems. First, there is always the chance you will kill an innocent person. Granted, most people on death row did receive fair trials and are guilty. But you can't unexecute someone if proven wrong later. Also- and this is really the main reason for my practical opposition to the death penalty- it takes in most cases a decade or more, plus many millions of dollars, to handle a death penalty case. Aside from all the cost and aggravation, most people condemned to death end up dying a natural death anyway. All it takes is one judge, one legal quirk, etc. It ends up neither making us any safer than life sentences, nor provides closure to the victims family. Victim's families, while they want both justice and closure, are denied either with years upon years of new trials, appeals, and waiting eternally for it all to end. If there is no death sentence, there are no automatic appeals, and the wheels of justice move more quickly by years. The legal costs exceed the costs of jailing someone for life. In NY, they reinstated the death penalty in 1995. It added years of appeals to cases, millions in costs to the taxpayers, and no one has been executed. And a court ultimately ruled the law unconstitutional in the state [[although the death penalty per se isn't unconstitutional in NY, the specific law they passed didn't cut the mustard). A hard, dull life in prison should be the end of the line for our worst criminals. In my opinion. But I do share the aggravation that a murderer gets to take another breath and his victims do not.

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Wow – 14 year old kids!! I have a 14-year-old son – and all he cares about is playing football, going to the batting cage, and girls [[in that order).
    Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. Where are the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. Where are the parents?
    There more than likely never was a father in the picture. When I was a young child the worst thing you could hear your mother say when you did something wrong was 'You just wait until your father gets home.'

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Back to the OP. Was there a history at this store? Previous robberies? Was there a gun behind the counter? If so, could the thief have known about it?
    All those places have a gun behind the counter. Some have two or three.

As a life long Detroiter it is sad to see what has happened to Dexter and other once nice thoroughfares. I rarely drive down it now. It's simply not safe and while liquor stores like this are usually harshly judged for their um seeming 'omni-presence', they have an importance beyond selling booze to the mostly 'captive audience' they serve who often cannot go elsewhere.

From the video and testimonies and comments it's obviously this man was an integral fixture of that area. And while there is this loved/ hate relationship being played out daily on both ends relative to Caldean and Arabic merchants and Detroiters, I'd say these merchants have much to contend with. And if they leave it would be interesting to see who'd replace them?

Who else has financial and social business infrastructure or the 'nerve' to set up shop and attempt to strive as the Arab, Caldean and Korean's do daily....?

If this kind of thing keeps up and they finally give up and get out of Detroit the consumers of their goods will have even fewer options.
    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I get so sick of this shit.

So what happens when the Chaldeans don't want to operate businesses in the city anymore because they're getting killed by the local population? The gas station owners are already scared to death. Even with hyper security unknown in the rest of the civilized world they're still getting massacred. Then when they're gone there will be literally NO retail left. They're all that's going on outside of downtown. There's going to be nothing left to steal in this godforsaken city. Then what?
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-02-12 at 06:25 AM.

Default Not only will there be no businesses in Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    It was the 1st of the month, he was just opening up and he had extra cash to cash checks. Soon there will be no one willing to run a small business in Detroit. Absolutely no respect for life. There are to many animals on the loose. How else do you justify so many ruthless killings?
    People in Detroit have to drive to the suburbs now to get services, like restaurants and retail. It would make more sense to stop carrying cash in these stores, only deal with debit cards and link cards. No cash. Simple.
    I have family in Detroit and only visit maybe once a year, but after reading these stories, I'll stay in Chicago. It's a bit safer, believe it or not.

I hear you... Who can judge those who simply want to minimize their exposure to wanton crime. Unless crime is curtailed in Detroit many will not visit and many have changed their lifestyles to try to avoid becoming a victim. I know I have. I do little grocery or other shopping in the city, especially the first of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    People in Detroit have to drive to the suburbs now to get services, like restaurants and retail. It would make more sense to stop carrying cash in these stores, only deal with debit cards and link cards. No cash. Simple.

I have family in Detroit and only visit maybe once a year, but after reading these stories, I'll stay in Chicago. It's a bit safer, believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    The problem is that the vast majority of the patrons of these establishments have no cards outside of their food stamps card[[which doesn't buy anything but food). I go to the corner store quite frequently, for staples and as I am an alcohol enthusiast, and always feel strange to be paying with a credit card.

I mean, there's a reason they all advertise money orders. People have no credit and no bank accounts.

RIP Mr. Dally. I would that we could find out who did this. I doubt DPD will be able to solve this. Hopefully, the store has cameras and a license plate can be read.

Might we increase our welfare state to a European level so that fewer people live this way? Are these rock bottom taxes and lifetime welfare limits worth it? Humanity discourages and encourages with near equal force.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    There is no measurable deterrent in the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post

I'd say the minus-one in the potential future perpetrator column is significant enough.

Just sayin'...

This is true.

One has to assume these criminals are actually afraid of death. Many of them are committing the crimes they're committing in the first place because they have absolutely nothing to lose and they want to make the lives of others miserable.If they have nothing else to live for, then why should they fear the loss of their life?

Might we increase our welfare state to a European level so that fewer people live this way?
    People in the US freaked when unemployment hit 9%. In France, the second largest economy in Europe, 9% is the *average* Germany, the largest economy, is in the same ballpark - around 8%. The average in the mean old US during the same time period was 5-6%, which is pretty close to the natural rate [[which I believe is around 4%)

If you are for an extensive welfare system, then you must be OK with relatively high unemployment. You can't make it expensive to pay someone to work, give people money to not work, then expect low unemployment.

A member of Detroit city Council says he's tired and why:
    "At this point in time, my contribution has come to its limit and end," Kenyatta said. "I think politics in the city of Detroit is no longer people oriented, people based. I'm also frustrated by a sense of lawlessness in the streets, a lack of direction."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1tif2mO6F

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'd say the minus-one in the potential future perpetrator column is significant enough.

Just sayin'...
    I think laphoque means that the dealth penalty isn't a measurable deterrent of future crimes committed by others [[at least that's what I understood).

I don't think laphoque expressed whether or not society would be better off with the killing off of an already convicted felon.

That said, if one's facing the death penalty, then they're already a perpetrator [[they don't have to become one in the future).

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    A member of Detroit city Council says he's tired and why:
    "At this point in time, my contribution has come to its limit and end," Kenyatta said. "I think politics in the city of Detroit is no longer people oriented, people based. I'm also frustrated by a sense of lawlessness in the streets, a lack of direction."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1tif2mO6F
    If that's referring to Kwame Kenyatta, the main reason he's stepping down is because of the Consent Agreement.

That say more about him than anyone else in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    This is true.

One has to assume these criminals are actually afraid of death. Many of them are committing the crimes they're committing in the first place because they have absolutely nothing to lose and they want to make the lives of others miserable.If they have nothing else to live for, then why should they fear the loss of their life?
    Right. They also don't think they are going to get caught. [[If they are thinking at all beyond the next few minutes.)

If the race card theory is correct. An African American Male, somewhat in the mid 20s to mid 30s no job, on drugs, comming from a broken Detroit ghettohood home decided give up on society, pull a piece and shot a Chaldean liquor store owner point blank.

This is truly the end of Black Detroit!

BTW it will take an awful lot to scare chaldeans out of Detroit.

This is about the only place in the country where their [[by and large) sub-par stores and poor business practices are accepted, since they have a monopoly over the retail in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    BTW it will take an awful lot to scare chaldeans out of Detroit.

This is about the only place in the country where their [[by and large) sub-par stores and poor business practices are accepted, since they have a monopoly over the retail in the city.
    For them, stepping out from the security booth to make any improvements is like playing Russian roulette. I don't really blame them for not giving a shit about their customers, many of whom are quite eager to rob and murder them. When I go to the store I'm much more concerned about the other customers than I am about the owners or the conditions of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    For them, stepping out from the security booth to make any improvements is like playing Russian roulette. I don't really blame them for not giving a shit about their customers, many of whom are quite eager to rob and murder them. When I go to the store I'm much more concerned about the other customers than I am about the owners or the conditions of the store.
    The question is how much of that is a negative feedback loop?

If you run a shitty fortress of a store and sell loosies, mad dog, and marked up spoiled food from behind a bullet proof wall, what clientele are you going to attract?

But, of course, you need to cater your store to the clientele most likely to walk through the door.....

So, I guess the question is; which negative feed back is feeding the loop?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    The question is how much of that is a negative feedback loop?

If you run a shitty fortress of a store and sell loosies, mad dog, and marked up spoiled food from behind a bullet proof wall, what clientele are you going to attract?

But, of course, you need to cater your store to the clientele most likely to walk through the door.....

So, I guess the question is; which negative feed back is feeding the loop?
    Nobody is going to open a Spartan store or a fruit stand hoping that Detroiter's wake up and realize what is best for them. Sorry charlie. It would be just another target for theft and robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    As a life long Detroiter it is sad to see what has happened to Dexter and other once nice thoroughfares.
    I'm having a hard time remembering when Dexter was a nice thoroughfare. I remember it as one of the worst of the worst many years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm having a hard time remembering when Dexter was a nice thoroughfare. I remember it as one of the worst of the worst many years back.
    While Dexter near Davison has been going downhill since the 1970s, at least through the early 1990s that thoroughfare, like most in inner-city Detroit, still had some semblance of lower-end retail establishments that lined the street. Since the early 1990s, the decline has accelrated triple fold.

As you can see in the picture, that liquor store was about the only retail establishment left on that part of Dexter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast