Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

According to Dr. Flemming's agrument of "White People Built Detroit and Blacks were invited in". Detroit today is run mostly by second wave of the black families from most southern "Dixieland States" They brought with them their "Field Negro" mentality Detroit. Not only these second wave of black families accelerated white flight to the suburbs, they also chase the first wave of African American families who built Black Bottom and Paradise Valley away. The second wave African American families were having problems adapting to the premature segregation from mostly white folks.

When the "white flight" to the suburbs continue to this day, the second wave of African American families [[ who migrated to Detroit) settled in first wave African American communities like Black Bottom and Paradise Valley [[including the fast growing Jewish communities.) They came looking for work from the automobile factories to working with the black and white owners. After 1967 riots to the mid 1970s, white folks took their businesses to the suburbs. Most of them shutting their manufacturing plants down due the OPEC oil crisis that led to booming foriegn car efficient market. When the car plants slowly closed, the second wave of black folks have a lack of education. The second wave of black families were having trouble finding work. So they turned to life of petty crime to hard crime. This is from robbing first wave black Detroit shops to white owned Detroit shops to joining gangs either to sell or do drugs. That brought fear to first wave Black Detroiters that they move to suburbs by the early 1980s. [[Not only because they followed the Jews and middle class Whites to Southfield, Oak Park, Lathrup Village, Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield TWP ect... but also to get away from the murder, madness and mayhem and their "Plantation Politics" coming from second wave Black Detroiters).

Today there are more second wave [[ low and fixed income) Black Detroiters living their ghettoes, looking for easy way out, than first wave Black Detroiters. Some of these second wave Black Detroiters will continue to give up on society by going to life of crime, family domestic violence, hanging with gangs or forming their cliques and looking feeble hope of their plantation politicians who are working the Detroit City Government or going to any strorefront or mega churches.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Nobody is going to open a Spartan store or a fruit stand hoping that Detroiter's wake up and realize what is best for them. Sorry charlie. It would be just another target for theft and robbery.
    I agree with your point, but Lafayette Foods is a Spartan store.

http://www.lafayettefoods.com/

... Years ago.. wasn't Metro Detroit Youth Day on Belle Isle designed to at least partially address these ongoing beefs with inner-city merchants/community members? with the shooting at the gas station over condoms, now this... "almost nothing" has changed in some respects..

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    BTW it will take an awful lot to scare chaldeans out of Detroit.

This is about the only place in the country where their [[by and large) sub-par stores and poor business practices are accepted, since they have a monopoly over the retail in the city.
    Have you ever stopped to think about why Chaldean's own all the small business in Detroit? There were no Chaldean's in what is now called Chaldean
    Town before 1967. I lived on Brush st. through the 50s and 60s. Chaldean's started arriving in the late 60s after the riots. They started buying up party stores in that area and worked there asses off 24/7 to make a living. When they made enough money they brought over more relatives and gave them jobs and keep expanding. In the mean time the white flight was in full swing and they had no problem buying up every retail in the area.

Where were the black business people during that time? There is no reason other than not wanting to work hard at menial job that there are not more black owned business in Detroit.

As far as your complaint about there poor business practice they now own stores and gas stations etc. all across the state. Outside of Detroit where there is respect for property they run a clean business or they don't have have any business.

Kwame Kenyatta commenting today from his informed chair [[taken from an article just posted on Deadline Detroit):

Kenyatta also pointed to the lack of leadership and lawlessness in the streets.“I don’t feel, you know, that there’s nobody in charge. So, you know, by the time I kill this person, shoot this person, rape this person, the police ain’t coming so I can do all that I need to do and go on about my business. That is not where we need to be and it’s unfortunate that that’s where we are,” he said.
    Last edited by SWMAP; May-02-12 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Kwame Kenyatta commenting today from his informed chair [[taken from an article just posted on Deadline Detroit):

Kenyatta also pointed to the lack of leadership and lawlessness in the streets.“I don’t feel, you know, that there’s nobody in charge. So, you know, by the time I kill this person, shoot this person, rape this person, the police ain’t coming so I can do all that I need to do and go on about my business. That is not where we need to be and it’s unfortunate that that’s where we are,” he said.
    Always fun to hear someone that IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN CHARGE lament the fact that "no one" is in charge.

Fuck you Kwame. Go now. don't wait until the end of your term. Just go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Have you ever stopped to think about why Chaldean's own all the small business in Detroit? There were no Chaldean's in what is now called Chaldean
    Town before 1967. I lived on Brush st. through the 50s and 60s. Chaldean's started arriving in the late 60s after the riots. They started buying up party stores in that area and worked there asses off 24/7 to make a living. When they made enough money they brought over more relatives and gave them jobs and keep expanding. In the mean time the white flight was in full swing and they had no problem buying up every retail in the area.

Where were the black business people during that time? There is no reason other than not wanting to work hard at menial job that there are not more black owned business in Detroit.

As far as your complaint about there poor business practice they now own stores and gas stations etc. all across the state. Outside of Detroit where there is respect for property they run a clean business or they don't have have any business.

You cannot possibly be that stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    You cannot possibly be that stupid.....
    Oh, do elaborate! Passive-agressiveness is not a response. I want to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Oh, do elaborate! Passive-agressiveness is not a response. I want to hear this.
    Consider the source and let it go.

That is an insulting, and extremely stupid, thing to say.

And to be on topic it sucks monumentally another person lost his life for no reason.

I would like to see a mass rally on behalf of the deceased store owner as there was for the deceased customer shot dead at another gas station. This is still as senseless act of violence

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm having a hard time remembering when Dexter was a nice thoroughfare. I remember it as one of the worst of the worst many years back.
    You are asking for an "old-time" schooling from Jjaba with that comment!

Paging Jjaba, on the Dexter/Davison bus... where art thou?

Most of them flight to the suburbs or any other successful American city not just because the follow white folks with the money, but to get away from the mayhem coming from second wave black folks who didn't get a solid good education, playing house, making babies, doing and selling drugs, joining gangs and getting into a life of crime like they don't care about life or other people's repect.

Folks, fixing any black, white, Asians, Mexicans or alien communities in the ghettoes starts with the family:

1. Fix the family, fix the home.

2. Fix the home, fix the community.

3. fix the community, fix the infrastructure.

4. fix the infrastructure, fix the ecomony.

5 fix the ecomony, fix the nation.

6. fix the nation, fix the world.

And then trouble will be reduced to trickle in the ground, easy to be stumped out.

There will be no perfect utopia in Earth, but in God's Kingdom.

There's also the small issue of financing. Many Arabs and Chaldeans make use of family connections to finance their business ventures. That's an option most black Detroiters simply do not have available to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    There's also the small issue of financing. Many Arabs and Chaldeans make use of family connections to finance their business ventures. That's an option most black Detroiters simply do not have available to them.

No Johnny5....remember let the small minded continue to consider the source and let it go....

Facts only cause them to realize their myopic way of thinking is fatally flawed...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    No Johnny5....remember let the small minded continue to consider the source and let it go....

Facts only cause them to realize their myopic way of thinking is fatally flawed...
    An observation is not a fact. If you have any facts lets hear them.

From my observation there were a lot of family's pooling together and sharing living space and sharing responsibility to run a business. There was no fairy Godmother that handed them the keys.

GUSHI Guest

I kinda agree w wheel,here and not just about Chaldeans ,Albanians w the coneys in the hood did the same thing,families lived together and worked together, very common to have a few generations living in the same home/working at the family business
    An observation is not a fact. If you have any facts lets hear them.

From my observation there were a lot of family's pooling together and sharing living space and sharing responsibility to run a business. There was no fairy Godmother that handed them the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    very common to have a few generations living in the same home/working at the family business
    That didn't involve drugs or thuggery.

I learned the hard way. Those of you that live in town should probably be extra careful when you go to the gas station. Seems like Im always reading about some bad thing or another happening at gas stations in the city.

Who needs fact when you can say they were simply a bunch of lazy nig....s

SteveJ Guest

Most started by working low wage jobs, 16 hours a day 7 days a week along with other family members and pooling it together to open a business. They didn't have any special family financing. They opened stores in some horrible areas and the whole family worked all day. Its not possible for most Detroiters since they can't even shovel their sidewalk or mow their grass.

Most started by working low wage jobs, 16 hours a day 7 days a week along with other family members and pooling it together to open a business. They didn't have any special family financing. They opened stores in some horrible areas and the whole family worked all day.
    Its not possible for most Detroiters since they can't even shovel their sidewalk or mow their grass.
    <----Wow, that probably wasn't necessary. But anyway...

Actually, having access to free/low cost labor is something that most non-immigrants don't have. The fact is that most ghetto shopkeepers posses the one or more of the following characteristics 1)education 2)experience, 3)access to free/low cost labor 4)capital 5)some deficiency that obstructs access to safer, high quality wage work[[like low English skills).

These individuals are savvy AND hard working AND probably have some advantages that helped make them successful. Telling the story any other way sells everyone short.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Most started by working low wage jobs, 16 hours a day 7 days a week along with other family members and pooling it together to open a business. They didn't have any special family financing. They opened stores in some horrible areas and the whole family worked all day. Its not possible for most Detroiters since they can't even shovel their sidewalk or mow their grass.
    I really hate to agree with this guy...
    but working in your fathers' store 7 days a week keeps you busy and keeps cash in your pocket. The family unity is also absolutely tribal. You see the opposite in the rest of Detroit with no father and total idleness, sitting around, blaring music, looking for trouble. Then we see the results. It's the elephant in the room, frankly. Dancing around it with amorphous phrases like "access to special financing" is idiotic.

Yep. Alot of it boils down to values, VALUES, V-A-L-U-E-S!

Dysfunctional homes, families, lack of leadership, work ethic and lack of appropriate values in general all make up the 'elephant'. Couple this with a complete distortion of delayed gratification or understanding of how one gains wealth and self worth from effort and choices or taking pride in simple accomplishments. Instead the 'bling' factor too often rules...

Case in point a friends teen age son being called a 'chump' as he walks by on his way to his McDonalds job last summer as his peers [[sic) 'chill' sitting on their porch dreaming of long cash and fancy high profile cars they could never insure. Never less pay a car note on. Now there are even less jobs for teens - even the fast food ones, as adults with degrees are competing for these jobs.

Eroding family unity abounds - not just in the urban setting, but the outworking here in Detroit is highly connected to homicides from the drive to get the fast cash and street cred: 'respect'.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I really hate to agree with this guy...

but working in your fathers' store 7 days a week keeps you busy and keeps cash in your pocket. The family unity is also absolutely tribal. You see the opposite in the rest of Detroit with no father and total idleness, sitting around, blaring music, looking for trouble. Then we see the results. It's the elephant in the room, frankly. Dancing around it with amorphous phrases like "access to special financing" is idiotic.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-06-12 at 09:28 AM.

Yes! Say it loud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Folks, fixing any black, white, Asians, Mexicans or alien communities in the ghettoes starts with the family:

1. Fix the family, fix the home.

2. Fix the home, fix the community.

3. fix the community, fix the infrastructure.

4. fix the infrastructure, fix the ecomony.

5 fix the ecomony, fix the nation.

6. fix the nation, fix the world.

And then trouble will be reduced to trickle in the ground, easy to be stumped out.

There will be no perfect utopia in Earth, but in God's Kingdom.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast